AHHH! Ive got roaches!

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got these from OldHag (Michelle) today, my first DOMESTIC roaches. And when they arrived, someone had squished the package, so the lid popped off, and there we a few that were out. Did I mention im skeered of roaches? :8o
But I couldnt resist, since ive heard that they are great feeders. I want the best for my tarantulas and leopard gecko :)

So here they are. I touched one, and it squeeled at me, and I screamed like a wimp, lol. :8o

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Roaches are actually quite cool animals. It's almost a bit sad that they are used for feeding. But every time I actually feed one of my Ts I think to myself "You deserved it you dirty roach!" because it's just too cool seeing your animals munch on something that fat and juicy :D

Edit:
Aha! So that's a Deli cup! :}

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My animals really don't like the hissers too much...The shells of the adults are too much for my "spolied" animals... you'll have better success feeding the nymphs.... other roach species like the lobsters make better feeders...just my opinion...

Either way, you'll like the hissers.... make sure they can't escape from their cage...they are glass climbers...it want take long before your holding them... they can't hurt you...legs are kinda prickly but thats it... Enjoy them...they make great "pets"...

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Domestic? I was under the impression roaches were too stupid to become domesticated?

Nice ..things, anyway. Giant, squealing roaches..freak food, must be good :)

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vys said:
Domestic? I was under the impression roaches were too stupid to become domesticated?

hehe, I mean the ones that dont pop out and scare me in my house. THOSE are horrible evil creatures and im afraid of them more than these, lol. Although, I dont kill them anymore because ive found it does no good. It's weird though, I see more of them during winter than warmer weather, like now...I rarely see them now. They hang out mostly around my mealworm container...which is in my son's closet, though I find most of the eggs and throw them out.

But either way, these ARE pretty cool, I think they'll grow on me. I remember when I wouldnt touch a mealworm, then it was a spider, and now it's a roach :D

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vys said:

Roaches aren't stupid, not by a long shot. But domestication has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence/tameness. Domestication means that something has been bred in captivity long enough that it has adapted to life in the care of humans. Animals bred as pets/feeders can differ in appearance and size from their wild counterparts.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WhyTeDraGon said:
hehe, I mean the ones that dont pop out and scare me in my house. THOSE are horrible evil creatures and im afraid of them more than these, lol. Although, I dont kill them anymore because ive found it does no good. It's weird though, I see more of them during winter than warmer weather, like now...I rarely see them now. They hang out mostly around my mealworm container...which is in my son's closet, though I find most of the eggs and throw them out.

But either way, these ARE pretty cool, I think they'll grow on me. I remember when I wouldnt touch a mealworm, then it was a spider, and now it's a roach :D

Haha, alright..Imagine hissers taking over your house, when would you sleep? =)

Scythemantis: 'Adapted to a life among humans', and sometimes the definition will include 'and be of use to humans'..but..is a legion of roaches that just infested your house domesticated? I would have thought 'domesticated' also included a certain dampening of the instincts, of wild will, so to speak, ..otherwise, I mean, roaches are some of the hardiest animals alive, I'd guess, but smart? You can cut off their heads and they continue to 'live' for quite some time; is my definiton of 'smart' too narrow?
Like, a cow would probably have a tough time if released in the wild, I will assume. Would any sort of feeder insect, they were released wherever they originated from?

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
WhyTeDraGon said:
Yeah, next it's an elephant then a lion, then a salt water crocodile and in the end a hippo... I know how it goes, same thing happened to me... errrrrmm :? ;)

Seriously tho, I think you're gonna be used to it pretty quick. I'd handle my roaches more often if they wouldn't get so stressed out. I wouldn't really care about if they get stressed out if I not only had 3 males left and about 30 females of which I don't know how many of them are actually gravid. So I don't wanna be disturbing them more than nessessary at the moment. Well, I could play with some of the 50 babies I also have but that isn't as much fun.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Cool!

Now try two!
Then three and then start juggling them. If you do that you've overcome all fear! :D