Inquiry: Giving roaches a whole cucumber

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I am wondering if roaches could deal with and benefit from having a whole cucumber in their container. What I am thinkinig of in that regard is that the cucumber would mainly serve as a water supply since a cucumber basically is water in a green wrapper. My dubias love cucumber so instead of giving them water crystals or Agar-Agar I am wondering if they could have a cucumber instead. The only problem I would see was if the skin of the cucumber wasn't free from pesticides - that wound't be optimal really. But other than that I don't know if it could get spoilt perhaps or if it could dry up, but being that big I wonder if it could do that so quickly.

Any oppinion on this would be appreciated!

Thanks
Cirith

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have G.portentosa (hissers) roches and I just give the fruit i.e. oranges, apples or bananas as a water source. I have never used water crystals or agar-agar. I am not familiar with dubias but I think they would be O.K. with fruit or veggies too.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I give my crickets and roaches (dubia & "deathheads") cucumber daily
It works well instead of a waterdish

/Lelle

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
But the thing is this: how would it go if I put a whole, uncut cucumber in there? Would it last them for a month and be a nice water source during that period or would it start to rot after a week or would it in any way be dangerous to have the roaches eat their way through the skin of it?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It becomes bad quite shortly, i wouldnt try it.
Shop pieces of it instead

/Lelle

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
to stop your roaches being poisoned wash the cucumber thoroughly! it should work well!

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stick with very small pieces and keep an eye on it. I will put one orange slice in for my dubia's on occasion, but it has to be removed within 2 days or it will start molding.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
On the topic of mould - I've not had any problem with that yet at all. I keep my dubias bonedry and on a heat pad so I think the fruit dries out before any mould can develop. I had pieces of fruit in there for nearly 2 weeks and only thing that happened what that it nearly mineralized ;) that includes strawberry, which I know is extremely prone to mould. But small pieces it will be, I just continue as I have and get some water cristals for the case I have to go away for a week or so.