uh oh!

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last Sunday I purchased a mantis (Im not sure what species) oothecae (I think thats how its spelled), I placed it in an old peanut carton. From CostCo so its pretty big. I had about a half inch of pretty wet soil as substrate, and a couple of twigs, one of which the egg case is hanging from. I kept it near a space heater, but it began to get pretty humid so I removed it and placed it on a dresser where it recieves sunlight and warmth. A few days ago I noticed a white web like substance on and around the egg case. Since the humidity was so high, I immediately suspected mold. But when I just checked in on it, guess what I saw. A little spider sitting on the egg case!!! My question is, is there any chance that the spider may have damaged the unhatched mantids? Ok thanks for listenting

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, of course not. The spider couldn't possibly hurt them unless its fangs are long and strong enough to penetrate all the way into the eggs, which I doubt they are, and even if they were, it could never hurt all of them. However, it's most likely the spider has no idea there are insects inside the thing. Protection from the elements and from detection by predators is the whole purpose of the egg case.