Mantis has layed ootheca but she hasnt breed

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My female common african mantis sphodromantis ssp has layed an ootheca but hasnt breed. Why is this please help me. Is it just an infertile one like captive birds lay such as budgies? :wall: :?

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its infertile. Mantids constantly "brew" ootheca so that they dont have to wait for weeks after the male has fertilised the female to lay. This way it can be a matter of hours between a mantis mating and laying a fertile ootheca.

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw one of them ootheca things outside the other day when I was catching some tadpoles. I was going to get it but I forgot.

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A week ago I had about 15 fertile grandis ootheca all in a box... 3 hatched in the last week so now i have 12 fertile ootheca left covered with 200 mantids. However I cant now get them out without letting many mantids escape - consider yourself lucky to have an infertile ootheca!

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
get some flowers, a barry white cd and some alcohol...
...or you could feed the female like crazy until she wont take anymroe food. Wait 24 hours and try again until she wont eat any more. Get a well fed male and place him behind her. Pray.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dude!

no body else thought it was funny when i suggested barry white might help some shy tarantulas breed in a yahoo group!

*clap*clap*clap* very funny :)

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Infertile Ooths

My P. virescen just laid one of these infertile oothecae last night..

I had no idea they did this, so thanks for the info!

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey this same exact thing happened to me too!
Unfortunatly it never hatched still have it all dried up though.
It was weird the mantis bit a little hole in it and some black stuff pored out. While it was in the cage.
I have some bad news though. Really shortly after laying the ootheca my mantid died. :( I think yours might be at an old age. :( Could be wrong though.