• No escapes and over 50 tarantulas

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Yes, escape(s) and over 50 tarantulas

Votes: 38 13.4%

• Total voters

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It seems escapes are becoming a routine occurance.

I've not had one yet... but it seems almost inevitable at this point despite my precautions. But with 60plus T's... what are the odds?

Hence the poll. Because I want to compile them. The odds I mean.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmmm, for those of you that have 50 and over can you post how many years you've been in the hobby?

That will help.

Merci.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive only had one escape so far, and that was my female G. rosea...and she didnt go too far, lol.
And I have about 35 Tarantulas. And ive been in the hobby for about 10-12 months.

Last edited:

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had my P murinis get out once, but she didn't get very far. I found her on the floor, under the desk her cage was sitting on, and scooped her up in a cup. I had seven at the time.

Jeri

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
in the hobby 3.5 years.
5 escapees:
found: G pulchra, A huriana, C fasciatum, H maculata (note the A huriana and G pulchra were gone for about 1 hour)
not found: P regalis

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Would you call it an escape if it was supervised.. i.e. while doing stuff in the tank or is an escape purely when the T get's out under the cover of darkness (and left an old exo as a dummy)? Or both perhaps?

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Under 50 t's (44 now...) and no escapes.
How someone can make them escape....

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have spiderlings escape from time to time when separating them (note the use of tense). If a house spider finds them, they become a meal (or in some rare cases, a neighbor). If my wife finds them, they become a pet and get to live in the house and listen to her coo. We currently have four such pets- two juveniles and two adults, so I guess it's been a while since any were "lucky".
Never had an adult "run away" for more than a few minutes.
I've had tarantulas in my care for 12 years and some odd months.

This is an interesting topic. Any numbers on the ages of the spiders that are "on the run"? Container type?

Garrick
eight

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unattended spiders. Like you wake up in the morning and notice that the singapore blue is gone.

Not while doing cage work.

Seperating slings, well, I can see how that happens... especially with a geniculata sac... or brachypelma, or lasiodora!

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One escape - Heteroscodra maculata (you all know ... :D ), I found it after a week. I am 7 years in the hobby and have 80+ spiders.

jmadams

Arachnopeon
I have over 150 and only have had 1. It was a A. semmani and is still missing. I did find exuviums lying around so I knew she was still alive. Its been 2 years. I moved two months ago, so I guess whoever moved into my old house will have a little friend, lol.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I had my A.avic and G.aureostriata escape not too long ago!!! :}

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I have 42 T's right now,

I've had an A. seemanni escape, it ate through a mesh screen that i was using for ventilation, I found the escapee (it was in my spider-room), and needless to say do not use mesh screening anymore.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
only had one escape. I have about 15 ts. Found it in an hour or so though. Lucky me.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sheri said:
Hmmmm, for those of you that have 50 and over can you post how many years you've been in the hobby?

That will help.

Merci.
10 years, over 100. Several escapes.
Careless.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since I have a 4" E.Murinus,4.5"H.Albostriatum,C.Bechuanicus,5"+P.Irminia, In my collection I make sure all my lids are closed tightly when I feed them. I would hate to wake up and have my E.Murinus in my face.or waking up from being bit repeatedly :eek:

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
In maybe 20 collective years of keeping, maybe 50 or so spiders at various times (sometimes many, sometimes only 1) I have never had an escape. My male B smithii certainly tried his damnedest though! (watch and later today the Pterror will get out :eek: )

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i had <read that again "had" four 's one of my male A.avics escaped because i didnt put the screen back on after feeding. :8o

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just over 50. In the hobby since Nov. 2003. Been keeping over 50 for perhaps six or eight months. No arachnid escapes. Crickets and roaches escape from time to time.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been in the hobby just over 3 years and have around 80 Ts. I've had 2 escapes so far. One was from not securing the lid on my male B.smithi. I didn't even know he was out until he was found in my bath tub. The second was a H.incei, at 2" it had popped the lid off of its jar and was found the next day in the spider room.
<edit>I forgot one. An N.chromatus at about 1/4" got away recently. I don't know if it got out a hole in the lid, one of the holes was larger than the rest, or if it got out hitching a ride on a cricket part that I was removing from the vial.

Last edited: