Rumina decollata SNAILS

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently found a R. decollata while collecting inverts in the hill country of Texas. I have it set up and already it has produced a clutch/batch of eggs.

Does anyone here keep them. Really cool OMNIVOUROUS snails...eating both decaying plant matter and brown garden snails...yep..it was introduced from the Mediterranean to eat the pest snails.... these guys grow a 1" long cone shaped shell...pretty cool...I searched hard but couldn't find others... hopefully I'll be able to start a colony of these great land snails...

Here is a link to a picture I found while using the google search engine...just so y'all know what they look like!

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/R/I-SM-RDEC-AD.002.html

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have A LOT of those in my backyard. I've kept them before and had a nice batch of eggs hatch. I don't know much about them, but I thought I'd let you know I had them. By the way, is it just me, or do all of them have the end of their shell broken off?

Kittycat784

Arachnopeon
I LOVE SNAILS!!!!
it's just a shame that I have a hard time trying to find ones that are "land dwellers" here in michigan (all I ever find are slugs) well good luck to ya they sure a pretty snails hope ya find more info.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey hermitman64... I've never seen them before...guess I've been in the wrong areas.... yep, this one has the end of its shell broken off also...99% of the pics I saw had broken shells too...I read that as they grow, the end of the shell becomes extremely fragile and usually brakes off.

I searched around my yard and found a few baby slugs and 2 small snails to supplement his diet...i had to go somewhere so I didn't get a chance to see if he ate them... pretty cool that they eat both plant matter and prey on other snail species!

KittyCat784 Yeah, I guess Michigan is super cold and impossible for alot of these "tropical" inverts to survive up there... The snails are awsome... just wish I had some of the more exotic larger ones...