What is this???

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got it in a stream which i was looking for tadpoles. I want to know what it is and what it eats and how it should be housed.

It's actually in water but you can't see it too well.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just looks to me like an isopod. Most species are actually aquatic, they are crustaceans after all. Probably feeds on algae and decaying plant/animal matter.

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is a water louse. They feed on dead plant matter at the bottom of a pond.

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've also heard them called "water bears", but why I'm not sure. As mentioned, it's an aquatic version of your everyday pillbug (Isopod).

Ivan

Arachnopeon
What is this?

It has various names: water louse, hog louse, water slater etc. They mainly crawl on the bottom or climb plants though I have occasionaly seen them have a go at swimming. Unlike their close relative the freshwater shrimp they don't need well oxygenated water and can even survive a fair bit of water pollution (which I don't suggest you try to emulate in your setup). They eat decaying vegetable matter and will be OK in a tank with tadpoles.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to keep them in my feeder fish tank. They tend to keep things clean and will eat dead fish when available.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
critterz said:
I've also heard them called "water bears", but why I'm not sure. As mentioned, it's an aquatic version of your everyday pillbug (Isopod).
If people call them "water bears" they're using it incorrectly. This is a water bear:
http://www.astrographics.com/GalleryPrints/Display/GP2111.jpg

They're microscopic arthropods that live in moss carpets, also called Tardigrades. They're named because they do have a rather bear-like appearance, esspecially the way they walk.