"POOTER"

Norseman

Arachnopeon
Can anyone help me with how to make a pooter? I need to move Hydei fruit flies from their culture to hungry slings and I've been losing more than I move. I've heard of a pooter but can't find specifics. Help please. Thanks. :?

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a pooter is a tube or pot, with 2 flexible tubes inserted into it, 1 of the tubes has gauze over the end of it that is in the pot. that is the tube you suck on. the other tube is used for catching the bugs. when you suck on the tube with gauze, the bugs end up in the pot
hope that makes some kind of sense

Norseman

Arachnopeon
Thanx

Thanks for the help. Not sure a pooter/aspirator will totally solve my problem with jumping flies. I'll still have to get them from the collection bottle to the slings. Don't think I can blow them out without blowing the slings to Oz. We ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. :D Oh, and thank Odin it isn't "rocket science" :worship: You almost sound like that jacka** from Sweeden :embarrassed:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Norseman said:
Thanks for the help. Not sure a pooter/aspirator will totally solve my problem with jumping flies. I'll still have to get them from the collection bottle to the slings. Don't think I can blow them out without blowing the slings to Oz. We ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. :D Oh, and thank Odin it isn't "rocket science" :worship: You almost sound like that jacka** from Sweeden :embarrassed:
who sounds like a jackass from Sweden, me? :eek:
I was making a joke, apparently that wasn't apparent?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
interesting.
i can see how a pooter would help you catch the bugs... but does it also help put them in with the sling?

i used to use a clear baby snot-sucker-bulb (i think it's really called an aerator or something) and had limited success... but as often as not i'd blow a stream of air into the sling's enclosure with bad results (disturb substrate/spider)

now i tend to just sort of dump some in and nevermind the escapees =P
this method makes even fruit flies kind of expensive though =P

Viridis9

Arachnopeon
Pooter

Hi: I dont know if you tried this but all i do is put the whole culture in the fridge for 2 or 3 minutes and when i take them out, i just tap on top of the culture to knock any flies to bottom that are near the top.
My flies suffer no ill effects from this.
Always works for me, i just tap them out into whatever i am feeding them to; tarantula slings, fish, mantids.
However the culture does warm back up in a few minutes and the flies will again become active.
RoachFreak101