Cricket Psychology

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anybody know what the cricket is thinking when it's munching on it's fellow friends, family members, or mates. I mean if they're well fed and watered what would drive these creatures into this muderous rage? :eek:

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
perhaps they are missing something in their diet, or they are just nasty buggers.....

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
population pressure?
Could be also competition for territory or once they get a certain size or age they start to get tired of the same food every day of most of their lives.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or maybe it's like the movie locust and domestic crickets suddenly have the taste for flesh {D :evil:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
population pressure?
Yes, I can agree with that. In natural conditions they live in smaller groups (I had contact with "natural" populations of Acheta domesticus in Poland).
And remember that crix eat everything, plants and "meat". So loses are normal when there are too many of them (especially freshly molted insects).

Last edited:

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cricket thinking...

stonemantis said:
Does anybody know what the cricket is thinking when it's munching on it's fellow friends, family members, or mates. I mean if they're well fed and watered what would drive these creatures into this muderous rage? :eek:
They are thinking.....hmm, I'm hungry, I'm an insect, I don't know any better so I think I will eat this cricket.

But then again, I guess they can't think to know they are a cricket that doesn't know any better than to eat another cricket.

And the other crickets think or not thinks, hmm, he's eating a cricket so they must be good and look how far away that carrot is, I think I will go take a bite of that cricket my friend cricket is munching on.

And then all the other crickets think, if they can think, if those two are eating a cricket, I may as well help..

And they are all grateful it isn't them that is being eaten.

Scott

The real question is.......How do they choose the one to eat??? draw straws, do they make pacts not to eat certain crickets if the pass away??

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
They are thinking.....hmm, I'm hungry, I'm an insect, I don't know any better so I think I will eat this cricket.

But then again, I guess they can't think to know they are a cricket that doesn't know any better than to eat another cricket.

And the other crickets think or not thinks, hmm, he's eating a cricket so they must be good and look how far away that carrot is, I think I will go take a bite of that cricket my friend cricket is munching on.

And then all the other crickets think, if they can think, if those two are eating a cricket, I may as well help..

Scott

The real question is.......How do they choose the one to eat??? draw straws, do they make pacts not to eat certain crickets if the pass away??
They must have heard this saying too many times. "Well you are what you eat" {D

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
stonemantis said:
They must have heard this saying too many times. "Well you are what you eat" {D
You would think they would eat something else then, who would want to be a cricket??

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
You would think they would eat something else then, who would want to be a cricket??
Or just a few smart-aleck crickets getting bored with running around the tank :D

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another question reguarding the minds of these little buggers, "What are they thinking when they lay eggs and an hour later dig them up and eat them. Sounds like the species is self destructing. Like a broken atom

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:

Scott

In my experience crix only eat other crix if they are dead or molting. I've never seen a cricket attack another live cricket, unless one gets chomped mid molt.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:

Kinda sounds like survivor of the invert world. Instead of cash the winner gets a one way ticket to a bigger tank with a "mean" room mate.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're all wrong. Crickets are the devil's spawn. They do it for fun.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
stonemantis said:
Very simple - lack of proteins ....

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
In my experience crix only eat other crix if they are dead or molting. I've never seen a cricket attack another live cricket, unless one gets chomped mid molt.
Absolutely I have seen others attack perfectly fine, healthy crickets. I usually see it after buying a few doz. and putting them in a tank. One or two seem to get chomped. No molt, no damage, just chomped.

Scott

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Raqua said:
Very simple - lack of proteins ....
or they are expressing how they feel being locked up in a cell without any possibility of escape. Except to be eaten. Eat or be eaten says the cricket to the other. {D

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think its lack of protein or possibly a mating thing, I started noticing cannibalism more when i tried to raise my own crickets than when i brought em home from the bait shop.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed them cat food because its high in protein and I've had fewer deaths by munching. They do however eat the sick or injured. I guess its nature's way of ending needless suffering.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tropical fish flakes are also very high in protien. They are also alot less likely to get moldy.