Question?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I heard that pillbugs can live in T enclosures to help clean up food remains and the T doesn't mind. Is this true? :confused:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think keeping them with small T's isn't best idea (T can eat them). But I had pillbugs in terrariums with phasmids and beetles. They were very good cleaners, and nice food for predacerous carabid beetles and small spiders :)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip. I thought pillbugs secrete a toxic chemical that's harmful to tarantulas.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The best cleaners I've ever had, were fly larvae belonging to family Sciaridae. They eat almost everything. They eat even roach excrements, dead bodies, old fruits, vegetables ...but I hate mature insects. They are small, quick and hard to kill, when there are too many of them (but if you have a lot of young mantis, it could be much easier {D )

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I heard that species of fly is a parasite to Ts but I do agree they eat everything

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently purchased a colony/culture of the "orange" isopods from MantidAssassins.... I'm goign to get them established then put them in my adult tarantula cages, millipede enclosures, and ??? I have heard they do an awsome job at cleaning up uneaten food.

Shoot Orin McMonigle (MantidAssassins) a PM about using pillbugs/isopods for a clean-up crew... he is very knowledgeable and although very busy, usually emails you back in a day or two.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
stonemantis said:
I heard that species of fly is a parasite to Ts but I do agree they eat everything
Maybe other families. Sciaridae reach only 2 mm bodylenght. They are saprophagous, they eat decomposing organic mater.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use some WC pill bugs in both my T. and scorp tanks. Great cleanup crew, no problems with them getting eaten either. :cool: :D

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just put some pillbugs in my enclosure and boy do they clean up. Not a dead body in site. They also got rid of a small mold problem. I appreciate all of the help on answering my qusetions. :D