Some questions about mantis

odwan

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

I just got a mantis this weekend, and I got a few questions. The label just said pray mantis, and the origin is africa.

1. It looks a bit like the 'bud wing mantis' Parasphendale affinis to me. Please let me know if this is the case or not.

2. How often should I spray?

3. How often should I feed? It sometimes posts the 'threatened' post when it encounters the prey, is that normal?

4. It just molted yesterday, the day before it was still eating, and I got no clue that it was going to molt at all. How can I tell whether it is going to molt?

5. I am not very good at handling a camera and it seems that the pictures that I took doesnt quite have the correct contrast. Any tips for taking pictures of insects?

Thanks very much for your attention!

odwan

Attachments

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definitely looks like a Parasphendale spp. to me. I can't tell for sure which species of Parasphendale though. misting it two or three times a week should be fine unless you live in a desert (then mist more often). It should do fine if fed twice a week. Also in case you did not know it looks to be a subadult male.

odwan

Arachnopeon
Thanks very much, Jezzy. So I guess this species comes from dry places where food is less available? (The Chinese mantis I kept when I was a kid ate a hell lot.......)
By the way, how do you tell whether it is a male or female at this stage?

Thanks.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
count the abdomen segments

if it has what looks like 5 or 6 (it's technically supposed to be 6, but sometimes a segment can be hard to see) it's a girl... if it has 8 segments (or 7...) it's a boy

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, just passn through.
I don't know about the mantis but i do know a little about photography.
The contrast looks fine, its the white balance thats off. Because light from light bulbs is yellow, pictures turn out too warm in tone. If you can, adjust the white balance on your camera more toward blue, or take your matis outside for pics. If you have photoshop you can fake it.
Image->adjustments->auto color

That mantis is way cool. i might have to get one. how much was it, if you dont mind?

odwan

Arachnopeon
cacoseraph: Thanks, its got 8 segments so it is a male.

FluidFilter:
Thanks a lot for the advice. The camera doesnt offer me much freedom with the white balance setting, I played with it a bit and have taken a few more pics. Looks better but the color is still a bit strange. (Perhaps taking picture on a dark green lid isnt a good idea to begin with anyway?)

The mantis costed me $20 canadian dollars. It was a nymph when I bought it but it molted into a subadult the next day. You could probably get it for cheaper. You might find out more in this website:
http://www.mantidforum.com
p.s. The picture cant show it, but its got lovely pink eyes.

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited: