Do you handle your Ts?

Do you handle your Ts?

• Total voters

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know I've done something like this before, but this one has a little different twist on it. For the purposes of this survey, handling your Ts means that you handle them on somewhat of a regular basis.

I'm curious to know the differences in opinion between the US and the rest of the world. Of course, I'm not trying to imply that either is right or wrong. :)

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I know I've done something like this before, but this one has a little different twist on it. For the purposes of this survey, handling your Ts means that you handle them on somewhat of a regular basis.

I'm curious to know the differences in opinion between the US and the rest of the world. Of course, I'm not trying to imply that either is right or wrong. :)
as little as possible

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I handle the docile ones. It's fun, and they don't seem too bothered by it. I take my G. pulchra sling out all the time. She's just awesome about it. Goes back in her house when I put my hand back near it. If they are showing signs of skittishness, then I leave them alone for another day. I haven't touched my T. blondi though. I'm not that brave.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
same with me. I handle my rosea, who i named "Sweetie". I know that they r know for their bad days, but she has never ever shown any sign of defensiveness. Whenever i change her water or anything like that, she either goes into her hide promptly, or follows my hand around as if to say "So watcha doin there?". I handle her every two weeks at the most. She never seems nervous. I would not handle a t if they didnt seem comfortable with it, even if they r supposed to be a docile species. For me, its the individual.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't mind handling my more docile T's as I do a lot of educational shows around my area for all ages and it's good for the interaction side of education.
I try and handle them as little as possible though just so they don't get stressed out. Besides regular cage maintenance most get left alone to do their own thing. I do have to admit though, sometimes I just get those urges to hold one of my T's. It is fun and if the spider doesn't seem too stressed out there doesn't seem to be any harm in occasional handling.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I handle pretty much everything I own...and I ike it!

I am trying to get a few of my more 'excitable' pets calmed down enough to even think about coming aboard the SS FatGuy, but I need to be patient.

My cobalt is less than friendly right now, but seeing as she ( i think it's a she was wild caught and is missing a leg, I can see why. My Goliath pink foot is really sweet. She just doesn't know it yet...

You get the idea, right?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
i dont handle on a regular basis i have handled my A avic before it went out for breeding, and my A versicolor once and thats about it.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I think there should be more option, regarding the frequency of handling and/or percentage of the collection that will be handled, i will handle only one T in my collection, a B. smithi, well that's the only one i willingly handled, have handled P. lugardi and murinus slings in the past.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this been asked tons of time

im against handling for many reason, soo I dont handle any of my T , I respect too much the little animal

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm glad you brought this up again because it kinda plays in with the 'taratulas have no emotions or connections to thier owners' thing.

I have a 4 1/2" juvy g.pulchra, Nadine :) , and I handle her a few times a week so if necessary it will be a simple process. I have a signal of lightly tapping twice by her burrow or near her when she is out and she has learned that it is me and not a predator.

Well, this morning I decided to enlarge her burrow due to her growth spurt....yes she is a gulchie and actually had a growth spurt :eek: .

The mistake I made was not tapping to let her know I was in the tank. I removed the top part of her hide and she went crazy with panic.She ran at high speeds all over the tank. I waited till she finally stopped in a corner then gently did my taps. Well my gawd you would have thought the spider savior had arrived to spare her life. She bolted onto my hand and clung for dear life.

I let her sit a minute then tried to nudge her off...nope, she was not leaving the safety of her postion there. I gave her a couple more minutes the made her get off so I could finish her new digs. Since she now knew it was me in the tank she stayed right beside where I was working and at one point climbed onto the back of my hand and up on my wrist. I just let her stay there while I worked.

When I was done I showed her the new hide and she went happily inside and started her decorating.

Again, no one will convince me a T with a continuous relationship with one owner does not form some type of bond. I still say they are smarter than we give them credit for ;P

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
emotional tarantule ? you will hardly make me beleive that ... relationship ???

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Cute story Apocalypstick, thanks for posting. My G. pulchra has a similar personality, and she's under 2"!

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well Lorg....maybe it's just g.pulchras that are superior ;)

Kirdec, maybe I should have used "interaction" instead of "relationship"....
They form some kind of bond with continuous "interactions" with one owner.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No......I provide them with as natural of a environment as I can provide within a ten gallon aquarium. In nature "T's" and humans do not really interact, and therefore I keep handling limited to rehousing.

Sure, years ago when I was younger, I thought it was cool to take my "T" out for friends.

Now I just enjoy watching them thrive in the little worlds I created them, without the worry of possibly harming them or stressing them from handling.

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Apocalypstick said:
Kirdec, maybe I should have used "interaction" instead of "relationship"....
They form some kind of bond with continuous "interactions" with one owner.
Apoc, I wish you wouldn't poke this hornet's nest again... obviously you're never going to listen to anyone who tries to prove to you that tarantulas are simply biologically incapable of the emotions you're trying to ascribe to them, and there are a few people here who love to rip into people over this discussion every chance they get. I think you have a big heart and dim eyes when it comes to this subject, and it's probably best if you didn't bring it up again...

everyone else,

keep it on topic, I'm not babysitting another flamewar...

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I handle a few of my tarantulas every once in a while. Not as much as I used to though.

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i handle my T's only when they dont seem to mind it too much. if they put up a fight or anything i just leave them alone... :}