Sow Bug Question

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK well.. I grabbed about 20 of them from my back yard and wanted to quarantine (sp?) them for a couple of months before i put them in my t tanks just in case they picked up anything nasty from the back yard..

Now i have literally THOUSANDS of them, because they keep reproducing..

I was thinking about selling them, but Im not sure what the best method of shipping would be, and also I have no idea how to price them, but.. I know other people need them, so I might as well sell them right?

Any way.. What's the usual as far as pricing goes, and how would I pack them for shipping?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mandi said:
OK well.. I grabbed about 20 of them from my back yard and wanted to quarantine (sp?) them for a couple of months before i put them in my t tanks just in case they picked up anything nasty from the back yard..

Now i have literally THOUSANDS of them, because they keep reproducing..

I was thinking about selling them, but Im not sure what the best method of shipping would be, and also I have no idea how to price them, but.. I know other people need them, so I might as well sell them right?

Any way.. What's the usual as far as pricing goes, and how would I pack them for shipping?
Seperating them in lots of 100 at $3.00 a lot plus whatever DHL charges for next day shipping. As far as packing them for shipping, I moisten a few paper towels and place them gently on top of the substrate and close the lid. Then I find a small box and line it with paper towels and close the box and label it fragile don't drop. I've had 100% success with this method. I hope that helps :)

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks a lot!!

how long does it take for them to go from tiny white speck with antennae to decent sized sow bug, and do you ship them when theyre small or full grown?

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sow Bug Quarantine

Hello Mandi,

We dont use wild caught bugs as feeders. We do use them as breeders, then we use the babies as feeders and breeders. We find that to be the safest easiest way to avoid feeding or exposing our animals to unwanted organisms. Breed the wild caught ones then when you have a bunch of babies take out the adult breeders and just use the captive offspring as the breeders and you should have no worries. So to recap take out the wild caught adults once you have babies then grow up the babies and use them as your feeders and breeders and you should have no worries. {D

Digby Rigby

http://exoticfeeders.com

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats what I did, thats why i got so many in such a short time.

Im not going to use them as feeders though just tank cleaners (the babies not the original group theyre in another container.. they just keep breeding!)^__^

thanks for the concern {D

Last edited:

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How ya get them to breed I've had some but they don't breed. I might just didn't give it a long enough time though.

What's the enclosure that their in like, what soil do you use and what do you feed them and how do you keep them moist. Also how long did ya have to wait to see baby sowbugs.

I'll ask more question when I think of them.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mandi said:
thanks a lot!!

how long does it take for them to go from tiny white speck with antennae to decent sized sow bug, and do you ship them when theyre small or full grown?
It takes six to eight weeks for the young to get big enough to leave their mother's brood pouch. A lifespan of a sow bug/pill bug is up to three years depending on weather conditions. So I would say give them four weeks, and I would ship them when they're full grown so that there are no DOAS

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
packer43064 said:
How ya get them to breed I've had some but they don't breed. I might just didn't give it a long enough time though.

What's the enclosure that their in like, what soil do you use and what do you feed them and how do you keep them moist. Also how long did ya have to wait to see baby sowbugs.

I'll ask more question when I think of them.
Moisture is the key for breeding sow bugs/ pill bugs, and they eat decaying plant matter (wet rotting woodchips are good) To keep them moist just pour water into the substrate until moist. Good ventilation is key to preventing mold growth. The enclosure can be a anything plastic or glass just as long as it's pesticide and chemical free. I keep mine with the lid off they cant climb plastic or glass

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feeding isopods aka pillbugs and sow bugs

Hello again,

In addition to what was stated in the post right above this they also eat dead animal matter they go ape defecation over dead snails {D also dead leaves should be considered mandatory as well we have shipped them in all stages of development. Although we have only sold the Orange form.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com[/email]

http://exoticfeeders.com

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I'll catch alot this week and try to breed them.

There's alot of decayed and dead leaves behind my house.

Can they eat potatoes, I use potatoes for my millipedes.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive got them on moist coconut fibre & soil mix with an old chunk of wood & some leaves.

I need to rehouse them, Is it safe to move them when theyre that small or do should I wait? they arent going to have enough room at the rate their going.