Help, I have ants.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone know how to stop an ant problem without using pesticides? We have been seeing a lot of small, black ants in the house, mostly in the kitchen. I know in great enough numbers ants can kill T's, but I don't want to take any chances of the chemicals affecting my T's either. I'm also not crazy about poisonous chemicals around my family or other pets. Any ideas and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeri

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
I have ants as well at the moment. Besides not being able to use pesticides because of my Ts, my mom is very much opposed to the idea of using them anyways. This is something she uses as an alternative.
She mixes boric acid, sugar and water. Then she places this stuff around the house where the ants seem to be most dense. They are attracted to the stuff because of the sugar, so they eat it and the boric acid kills them. Just make sure that if you have any pets (dogs, cats, etc...) put it out of their reach. Same goes for small children. You don't want any accidents - this stuff IS poison.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lil black sugar ants

First thing: CLEAN
Second: seal entrance points. Go around edges of cabinets, floorboards, etc. with regular ol' elmers glue. works great.
Third: keep cleaning

ants also will not cross a line of petrolium jelly or flour

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have the time and the patience place glue traps around the whole enclosure. That will take care of any invaders. Also place a glue trap around where the ants are coming from as well. That helps control the ant populations

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I imagine you could put pesticides around the outside of your house (ie around foundations and anthills) without the possibility of hurting your Ts

Barring that I think you'd hvae to be meticulous about killing any single ants you see around and find and seal all the points of entry.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are several over the counter ant baits available some of which are boric acid that may work. Pest control professionals many times will work with their customer and use the safest and quickest methods possible, remember they want your business. If you say that you don't want liquid applications of any sort they will strictly use a baiting program. Professionals usually have a good idea which species of ant it is, which can be very important for bait selection. Professionals often have baits that are not available to the public and work very well, plus they know right where to put them and how many are needed.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
soap water in spraybottle, i have found it works well on fire ants, and it won't affect your ts
also, terminate their main nest, pour in condensed soap water, also clean up your place

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rosemary oil, Boric acid, Limestone powder are all safe and effective.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I discovered that the best solution is something with analog of insect's juvenile hormon (like metopren). This "poison" is added to ant food. You put it in the places, where ants are very common. They take it to their nest. This stuff is really nasty ;P It reduces production of new eggs, prevents larvae from pupating. Whole colony dies after few weeks. And correctly used, is harmless to other insects and spiders (I had no losses).
I've been using it 2 years ago on Monomorium pharaonis (which is very difficult to rid off) and since than, I've never met any of that insect.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
I discovered that the best solution is something with analog of insect's juvenile hormon (like metopren). This "poison" is added to ant food. You put it in the places, where ants are very common. They take it to their nest. This stuff is really nasty ;P It reduces production of new eggs, prevents larvae from pupating. Whole colony dies after few weeks. And correctly used, is harmless to other insects and spiders (I had no losses).
I've been using it 2 years ago on Monomorium pharaonis (which is very difficult to rid off) and since than, I've never met any of that insect.
What exactly is that ? And where do you get that. I'm quite confused by your post.. :)
Thanx.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They sell it in Poland in shops for gardeners. It is called Faratox-B.

Nice picture is here :)
http://www.dezder.com.pl/FOTO/350PX/faratoxb.gif

This is exacly this 'stuff' (under that 'ant' on the box :rolleyes: ). You drop this powder in places where ants are walking, eating ect. They carry it to their nest... and voila!

Myrmica

Arachnopeon
Re:

Petroleum jelly won't work on most species. It really depends on what species is invading your home, depending on where you live (country, region and surrounding environment) they can be Lasius niger (neoniger), Tapinoma sessile, Tetramorium caespitum, Linepithema humile etc.

Ants will cross just about anything to get to a reliable food source, especially in larger colonies where any potential loss of worker force becomes acceptable if the food intake from the raid is large. Chalk powder, cinnamon powder are some things that can work. "Ant bombs" work for a while, though I despise killing ants, sometimes it needs to be done if they become a real problem. In multiqueen colonies, the ant bomb won't be sufficient to kill them all.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if u find the hill outside ur house then use boiling water boom there all dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive got wood ants.

when i lived in wv, we had those little black ants. My roomates were disgusting so i could never get rid of them, but someone told me to put vinegar and water along their trail.. so when i got sick of cleaning up after my roomies, i just put it along the cracks & floor boards in my room, and they stayed out, the rest of the house though.. ant city.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh yeah.. will the stuff you use for little ants work for carpenter ants?

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep 'em out...

Jeri said:
Does anyone know how to stop an ant problem without using pesticides? We have been seeing a lot of small, black ants in the house, mostly in the kitchen. I know in great enough numbers ants can kill T's, but I don't want to take any chances of the chemicals affecting my T's either. I'm also not crazy about poisonous chemicals around my family or other pets. Any ideas and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeri
Sorry if I am repeating something that's already been posted... honestly didn't read the whole thread.. have a ten year old about to die if he doesn't get to go to the park... so:

Cheyenne pepper deters them really well. A little odd to have it poured around, but 'desperate times..' and all that.
Also, if you see where they are coming in, standard liquid dish soap beaded along that trail entrance also turns them away :)
Good Luck!