Unusual Circket Qusetion.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently purchased 24 crickets two days ago and started to feed them fish flake food and they changed to a reddish brown color instead of the light brown normal color. Is this normal? :?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've read about a number of different spiders that change color based on what they've been eating...

no idea about crix though

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
happens to some of the crix i buy at times.... usually the females... no clue why though

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
i've read about a number of different spiders that change color based on what they've been eating...

no idea about crix though
Through extensive reading of the goldfish food label it says it increases color and vitality :confused: but I thought that applied to goldfish only. It boggles my mind that the crickets are changing physical coloration without molting based on the color of the fish flake food I feed them.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
look at it this way.. a brighter coloured prey is an easier to find prey for your scorps/T's/whatever....

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bayushi said:
look at it this way.. a brighter coloured prey is an easier to find prey for your scorps/T's/whatever....
Good point. That helps alot :)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hold the phone, i thought tarantulas cant see red colors :?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snipes said:
hold the phone, i thought tarantulas cant see red colors :?
Little is known about what colors (if any) a tarantula can see but, brighter colors are seen more easily.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
stonemantis said:
Through extensive reading of the goldfish food label it says it increases color and vitality :confused: but I thought that applied to goldfish only. It boggles my mind that the crickets are changing physical coloration without molting based on the color of the fish flake food I feed them.
It is probably done through dyes, in which case the dye would affect the crickets just like the gold fish.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
It is probably done through dyes, in which case the dye would affect the crickets just like the gold fish.
So if you dye the cricket's food then there's a chance that they can become that color? LOL That gives me an idea for a new assortment of live rainbow crickets. LOL :)

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed my crickets tropical fish food too, I noticed they got dark but didn't realize that was unusual. As for the color enhancing I am not so sure it is dye (although I can't rule it out), alot of fish food contains algae and shrimp.
I don't think any of your Ts are going to turn orange but I also give fish food to my hermit crabs. In particular I started giving them dried shrimp, only one eats it and after its last molt my purple pincher turned orange!

Last edited:

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stonemantis said:
Little is known about what colors (if any) a tarantula can see but, brighter colors are seen more easily.
Considering that they have almost no sight whatsoever, what gives you this idea?

Arach-attack

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Any reason to believe these artificial colors/dyes could adversely affect whomever consumes the cricket?

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just think about pink flamingoes...and not the kind in front of trailers in the middle of the desert!!!

stonemantis said:
I recently purchased 24 crickets two days ago and started to feed them fish flake food and they changed to a reddish brown color instead of the light brown normal color. Is this normal? :?

Slizarus

Arachnopeon
stonemantis said:
So if you dye the cricket's food then there's a chance that they can become that color? LOL That gives me an idea for a new assortment of live rainbow crickets. LOL :)
I've seen it tried.. a number of people in a group experiment fed flies that were fed with food mixed with blue dye to a number of VFT's, (Venus flytraps) to see if the leaves would turn blue.. it didn't work :(

Fun though

Myrmica

Arachnopeon
It is generally believed that ants can't see red either, so a lot of people who raise them will put red cellophane in front of the queen's chamber so as not to stress her. Whether or not these theories relating to tarantulas or ants are true is another story, and it's gotta be pretty hard to test. Does anyone have anymore info on this subject?

Sorry, don't wanna hijack the thread... it kinda does apply tho =P