Blondi - Biggest spider in the world???

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, i have been researchingT.Blondi's as i am currently thinking about buying one. However i was just on petbugs.com looking at the caresheet for it, then it says its considered to be the biggest spider, but some people beleive otherwise. My question being, what other spider comes into into consideration for being the largest :?

Id appreciate any replies, thanks
tom

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Lasiodora paryhabana is considered to have as big a leg span, but not be quite as heavy as the T. blondi. L. difficilis I hear gets really big. I believe there are some arborials that are pretty huge as well. The Singapore blue and P. ornata (I think?) I know it's one of the pokies. I know there are others but I can't think of them at the moment! ;) :)

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The ever mysterious Hysterocrates hercules is also supposed to be enormous. There is little information on that species though. As far as T. blondi and T. apophysis, the apophysis is supposed to have a bigger legspan but isn't as heavy-bodied as blondi

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the H. gigas gets 9-10" as well....

Lorgakor said:
Lasiodora paryhabana is considered to have as big a leg span, but not be quite as heavy as the T. blondi. L. difficilis I hear gets really big. I believe there are some arborials that are pretty huge as well. The Singapore blue and P. ornata (I think?) I know it's one of the pokies. I know there are others but I can't think of them at the moment! ;) :)

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
Dosent the P.Rufilata have a longer legspan than P. Ornanta?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
taorchard1987 said:
Okay, i have been researchingT.Blondi's as i am currently thinking about buying one. However i was just on petbugs.com looking at the caresheet for it, then it says its considered to be the biggest spider, but some people beleive otherwise. My question being, what other spider comes into into consideration for being the largest :?

Id appreciate any replies, thanks
tom
Yes it is. T apophysis and some oters can maybe match blondi in legspan, but when it comes to bodymass and weight blondi is the largest. Cheers.!!!///Johan

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. Blondi is definetly the heaviest Tarantula tipping the scales at 1/4 lb. As far as legspan there are a few species that can reach the length of a T. Blondi. But I've never personally seen a T. larger than 10" so it's all theory at this point.

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I believe that P. rufilata is supposed to get a bit larger than P. ornata. Can't wait until mine grows a bit.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
greenfiremajick said:
I think the H. gigas gets 9-10" as well....
Never seen one, i assume they are quite rare....My "H gigas" MAY be 7" and hasnt grown much since I got her (WC) over 2 years ago
T

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
T. blondi is in the Guiness Book of World Records as the biggest spider, at 11" leg span for a male. There have been reports of tarantulas with a larger legspan (T. apophysis, I believe), but there is no documentation to back up the claims.

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Blasphemy said:
I remembered seeing this article online awhile back...kind of fits in with this thread so check this out: http://arachnophiliac.co.uk/burrow/bustard.htm
Just read the above link and think its kinda wrong to feed a T as to where its so heavy it looks like it has difficulty in walking! Overfeeding to those extremes could be called a form of cruelty I guess.. ?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
"Biggest" is not a specific enough term as it doesn't clearly differentiate between size and weight. "Largest" and "heaviest" would be better terms.

Heaviest is T. blondi without a doubt, with weights as much as 6 ounces reported. "Largest", as in legspan, would be the more slightly built Theraphosa apophysis at 13+". Males of both of these species attain the greatest legspan.

As has been pointed out, some members of Lasiodora, especially L. parahybana (and also L. klugi and L. difficilis), commonly reach legspans equal to the typical Theraphosa (approximately nine to ten inches). It must be remembered that saying that T. blondi reaches twelve inches is like saying humans reach 7-8 feet. Sure there are some rare exceptions, but based on typical size L. parahybana is as "big" as T. blondi, albeit slightly lighter. I've seen quite a few large T. blondi over the years, but the largest spider I have ever seen was a L. parahybana.

Cheers, Michael

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dr Pies said:
Just read the above link and think its kinda wrong to feed a T as to where its so heavy it looks like it has difficulty in walking! Overfeeding to those extremes could be called a form of cruelty I guess.. ?
I have to agree with you on this.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
SpiderShoppe said:
"Biggest" is not a specific enough term as it doesn't clearly differentiate between size and weight. "Largest" and "heaviest" would be better terms.

Heaviest is T. blondi without a doubt, with weights as much as 6 ounces reported. "Largest", as in legspan, would be the more slightly built Theraphosa apophysis at 13+". Males of both of these species attain the greatest legspan.

As has been pointed out, some members of Lasiodora, especially L. parahybana (and also L. klugi and L. difficilis), commonly reach legspans equal to the typical Theraphosa (approximately nine to ten inches). It must be remembered that saying that T. blondi reaches twelve inches is like saying humans reach 7-8 feet. Sure there are some rare exceptions, but based on typical size L. parahybana is as "big" as T. blondi, albeit slightly lighter. I've seen quite a few large T. blondi over the years, but the largest spider I have ever seen was a L. parahybana.

Cheers, Michael
How large was it?

Matt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As this thread is not Specific to Ts Dr. Peter Jaeger describes the Heteropoda maxima (a crab spider) as one of the largest spider with upto 30 cm (11,8 inch) legspan.

Heteropoda maxima

matt

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to know what counts, which tarantula has the biggest embolus.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
I want to know what counts, which tarantula has the biggest embolus.
The infamous Cojone spider from Mexico perhaps?

/Lelle