Need input regarding Shelfordella tartara colony setup

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I'm thinking of getting those roaches but hardly know anything about them.

So any of you who wanna teach me a bit about them?

I'd like to know what they eat, if they're cannibals, if they climb plastic/glass, if they can jump or fly, if they need substrate and moist or if it goes without and bonedry and anything else you can think of.

Thanks!
Cirith

Edit: forgot to ask if they bare live young or if they need some egg laying habitat like crix do?

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not cannibals, cant climb or fly. I kept mine on a few cm of peat, a few slabs of cork for hiding. Never sprayed really, just gave them fresh fruit or veggies, and rain, bread etc. Very easy species.

/Lelle

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as a side note, they are fast!
but the best thing is that they don't burry themselfs which makes them easier meal for the scorpions

Sasa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got these today.
What do you think, are these S.tartara or something else?
Atleast little ones climb really nicely... :wall:

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the are s.tartara.
Where do they climb? on plastic???
or on the egg cartons which is absolutely normal?

PERIKIN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes,they are s.tartara.don't jump,fly and climb.commonly called "runners".they eat everything you give them;apple,orange,bread,cereals,bran,wheat,cucumber, lettuce...
substrate turba and when you have ootecs(i don't know if it is well writed)put them in vermiculit.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Blatta lateralis

Here in the states these roaches are referred to as Blatta lateralis. They are excellant breeders, they do not climb smooth surfaces, and they do not burrow. However like most non-climbing species the lighter weight winged males can jump pretty well. I always recommend keeping a vented lid over all roach enclosures. This species likes a mixture of peat and sand and they love to be misted every other day along with there standard food. I started with a few hundred nymphs a few months ago and know I have thousands. "GREAT ROACH"
James
www.blaberus.com

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How large does this roach get.

And James,
When do you think you'll have these up on your site for sale.

Last edited:

Sasa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
the are s.tartara.
Where do they climb? on plastic???
or on the egg cartons which is absolutely normal?
They run VERY fast up the side of a clear, smooth plastic container.
What shoul I do? I can´t even open the container or I´ll be screaming and squashing those little mean.... things!

My B.dubia and G.portentosa are much more.. err... tolerable.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Sasa said:
They run VERY fast up the side of a clear, smooth plastic container.
What shoul I do? I can´t even open the container or I´ll be screaming and squashing those little mean.... things!

My B.dubia and G.portentosa are much more.. err... tolerable.

I don't like those news about them running up the sides of tanks... Hope the tank I got for them is high enough or I will have to glue some kind of inner rim to it which they can't get past...

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lateralis

I'm currently keeping four breeding bins of these roaches. None of mine climb the sides, however I do have bug boudary painted on the top just in case. The males jump sometimes and will get out if you don't keep a vented lid. I would be surprised if these roaches could infest like the orientalis or germania becasue they don't do well without decent heat, and plenty of water. I have had a few males escape, but they only survived a week or so. Females don't have wings and are to heavy to jump so an infestation is unlikely if not close to impossible. Just have a decent set-up and these are very easy roaches to keep and they make great feeders.
James
www.blaberus.com
Email me for availability!!!

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
an insect pest new to arizona is the turkestan roach . was first found in the U.S. at a military base on the west coast. and now has migrated to Texas, New Mexico and arizona also found inside schools !!!! like I said be carefull with this one its a pest specie!!!!!!!!!

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. laterlais

I know some people in AZ that keep these roaches and they die outside in winter. Anyway for me they have been very easy to keep.
James
www.blaberus.com

Attachments

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I don't like those news about them running up the sides of tanks... Hope the tank I got for them is high enough or I will have to glue some kind of inner rim to it which they can't get past...
they do NOT climb smooth surfaces

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
This is odd... I've given my tartaras some strawberry, some banana, some apple, some cucumber and some green leaf sallad. And the only thing they are eating is the green leaf sallad. (Well, I have given them ground up dog food too and they are eating that, but I'm a bit concerned about their water intake now)

What DO they eat that contains a lot of water?