Giant Water Bug

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked this guy up at the local Bug Show. I haven't gotten it to eat anything yet, i've tried crickets and small minnows. Is this an Abedus sp? Any tips? temperature, etc?

Attachments

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice, how much did that guy run you? He is probably not hungry because he has all those eggs glued to his back.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it'a not giant water bug, giant water bugs lay eggs on objects above the the water

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
it'a not giant water bug, giant water bugs lay eggs on objects above the the water

What's in a common name? I am sure you are familiar with the native, harmless garter snakes of the Thamnophis genus? There is also a 'garter' snake of Africa, Elapsoidea, however this one can cause cytotoxic bites. So, the name 'giant water bug' seems like a pretty common name among many different species and genuses of insects.

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've also heard that some of the true giants are nearly extinct. They exude a musk from their abdomen as a defense that certain cultures love to use as a cooking ingredient. Too bad, I would love to have a water bug 8 inches long and able to eat mice.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All members within the family Belostomatidae go by the common name giant water bugs. Species within the subfamily Belostomatinae are smaller reaching an average adult length of 1 to 1.5 inches. The specimen pictured is within this subfamily. Those within the subfamily Lethocerinae, containing the single genus Lethocerus, are the truly giant water bugs. The largest species known is Lethocerus maximus of the neotropics with specimens reaching around 110 mm (4.5 inches). It is extremely unfortunate that some of the Asian species are becoming rare in the wild.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The young should hatch 18 days after eggs are laid so watch out for them and remove hatchlings to seperate cages. The adult can eat every youngster in a day.

Why are giant water bugs becoming rare in Asia? Pesticides in water sources? Considering their reproductive capabilities I can't imagine they're being eaten out of existence.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MantidAssassins said:
The young should hatch 18 days after eggs are laid so watch out for them and remove hatchlings to seperate cages. The adult can eat every youngster in a day.

Why are giant water bugs becoming rare in Asia? Pesticides in water sources? Considering their reproductive capabilities I can't imagine they're being eaten out of existence.
well, there are some misnderstood They are rare in North-East Asia, not South-East Asia
L.indicus (8-10cm)are endangered in Taiwan only, might be pesticide, or they are just rare in Taiwan cuz Taiwan is the island on the border of sub-tropical and tropical. Plus places like Japan and Taiwan have heavier pollution than South East Asian countries, whera giant water bugs there get bigger and much more common
Meanwhile they are really common in South East Asia countries as food source such as in Thailand, Malaysia, and southern China
however, the Japanese species(Lethocerus deyrolli 5-6cm) is endangered, too, cuz of pollution
a Japanese page about Lethocerus deyrolli farm

http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~Dytiscus/TAGAME/intro.htm

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There are some accounts of populations being smaller relative to where they were previously. I highly doubt any entire-species extinction will occur any time soon as belostomatids are extremely hardy insects that reproduce very successfully. There are Lethocerus breeding farms for the Asian food industry, which is better than huge numbers of live individuals being taken from the wild. Lethocerus indicus and L. deyrollei are such awesome, unique species it would be horrible to eventually lose them.

Alex S.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where I lived in minnesota, we had giant water beetles that looked just like that, got between 2 and 3 inches in length. I've seen pics of asian species and united states species, and I can't personally tell the difference. These buggers ate insects, small fish and frogs. I saw one sucking the guts out of a frog once. They can also fly, and can bite good and hard (personal experience).

Don't know the scientific name, and I don't know if that's the same species or not.

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dude.........

oh my god dont u know what that is!!!!!!!!!!! in britain we call it a waterb scorpiomn they are fierce predators! gthey are cool man u guys need to learn about ur local wildlife we know pratically every animal and plant in our country!(and were only 12/13)on the isle of wight we knew more than natralists. (sorry to sound big headed but come oin guys get with it!)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
reptillian said:
oh my god dont u know what that is!!!!!!!!!!! in britain we call it a waterb scorpiomn they are fierce predators! gthey are cool man u guys need to learn about ur local wildlife we know pratically every animal and plant in our country!(and were only 12/13)on the isle of wight we knew more than natralists. (sorry to sound big headed but come oin guys get with it!)
Actually, YOU don't know what it is. Waterscorpions are in the family Nepidae, and that is not a waterscorpion, whole different family. Giant water bugs are in belostomatidae.

Also, if you had read the first post, you might notice that the poster had purchased the critter at a show, and not collected it locally.

How many different animals you got in Isle of Wright anyway? Maybe 20? ;P

Wade

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reptillian said:
what is the answer to ur joke by the way?

The joke is complete. Carrion is dead animal. Carry-on is baggage that you want to take with you on the plane.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reptillian said:
we know pratically every animal and plant in our country!(and were only 12/13)on the isle of wight we knew more than natralists.

It is common worldwide for 12 and 13 year olds to know practically everything, even more than the experts, and on any subject!

Aren't you a little older yet to get the humor in what you just said? Or are you still at the age where we should let you rule the world, because you know it all? :} {D

Well, it is always nice to see young people have interests and passions like this, anyway. :)

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ha ha

ha ha spose me and me mate got told................... yea srry that was my mate being big headed lmao! i n o it does sound quite funny what he said
lol
by da way wade in england the suposed giant water bugs are actully called water scorpians but that is just our local name .local names often vairy!lol
and yes elizabeth please let us rule da world coz i would beet up non enviromental people and blow up evil peopl!!!!!!!!! lol actully i owuld probably just sit there eating crisps but still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!