Madagascan hissing cockroaches

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought 8 of these Madagascan roaches last week, and they are breeding like crazy!! They just produced aprox 100 babies in the last 4 days!! What I did was put a line of petroleum jelly around the sides of the tub and they don't climb it at all....They are really good food for the scorps and T's!!!

Slizarus

Arachnopeon
You're.... kidding?
Meanie... I have 10 adults.. and about 40 babies.. and I've had them about a month and a half.. you must have gotten some nice and pregnant females

Slizarus

Arachnopeon
And to your question in the other post..

They can live up to 6 years, though on rare rare occasions I picture there might be longer

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
greenfiremajick said:
I just bought 8 of these Madagascan roaches last week, and they are breeding like crazy!! They just produced aprox 100 babies in the last 4 days!! What I did was put a line of petroleum jelly around the sides of the tub and they don't climb it at all....They are really good food for the scorps and T's!!!

Hehehe I hate to say this but you were very lucky, normally they take about 2 or more months to have babies, they are very slow breeding.
You must have had 2 pregnant females maybe 3, but you'll probably loose allot of the babies. I have in the past, I think it was because it was too dry for them in my 30*c tank:(

But they make extremely cool pets, be careful when feeding adults to t's as I’ve heard stories of t's breaking there fangs on them.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes be careful feeding them to t's. The best time to feed them off is following a molt, since it takes them a few hours for their shell to harden. They do breed like crazy, and I find them extremely interesting little bugs to watch. I'm amazed by the diversity of color I have in my colony.