Dynastes tityus

magnafury

Arachnopeon
Greetings!

This place is great!

The other day I found a male Dynastes tityus. He was hanging out on one of my exterior window frames in the shade. I checked on him a few hours later and he had fallen to the concrete floor. He was on his back and was having a hard time rolling over. it was a hot day and he was in direct sunlight so I brought him inside.

So far he is doing pretty good. He ate a little bit of banana and seems to have plenty of energy. I am going to start feeding him watered down maple syrup and set him up in a nice enclosure.

If anyone has an adult female for sale please contact me. If I don’t find an adult female for breeding, I feel like I should let this beetle back into the wild so maybe he can find a mate.

Thanks in advance!

Oh here is a picture of him.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Magnafury/Stuff/HPIM2480cropped.jpg

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't help you... but I will say:

Damn... why I live in this "cold" country?! :rolleyes:

I hope you will find female for him... as I know they don't live too long as imago.

magnafury

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply.

Since they do have a shortlife span as imago, the need for a imago female is urgent.

I am scouting out places to look for the female on my next night off of work.
So far I found this one shopping plaza right next to some old forest/woods. I am hoping the bright parking lights will attact all kinds of beetles.

wish me luck! :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Captive bred individuals can live a long time, I have a male still going strong who emerged last August. I suspect your beetle will live at least until the fall if well cared for.

Any females you find will probably have already mated, so they can lay fertile eggs even if you didn't put her with your male. Might as well do it anyway, though. I have noticed, however, that females tend to die sooner if housed with the males continuously. I usually split them up after I've observed mating a few times. I think the males may breed them to death.

Wade

magnafury

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info.
:)

If I do find a good female, I will need some advice on setting up the substrate.
So far I hear you should mix a little dry dog food with it for protien.

any other suggestions?

magnafury

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the link Raptor it has a whole lot of information.

We went out looking for a female tonight. No luck :( . I will try again tomorrow night.