A Little Mantid Celebration

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Hiya,

I have my first mantid pet, which was found wandering my house a couple weeks ago, just before Mother's Day. My beloved husband surprised me with it by catching it for me, knowing that my appreciation for critters other than tarantulas has been expanding.

Last year, when we had a spider party at my house, at the end of the night, while I was waiting showing the latest arrival the way into the house, I noticed a big green mantid on the outside wall of my house. I was so excited, that we grabbed a container, lured it in, and put the lid on. We kept it overnight, but it wouldn't eat any of the roaches I fed it.

I'd posted on the boards about it back then and after some of the responses, I decided it was best to let it go, since it seemed to be an adult and needed to be released to ensure it the opportunity of completing its life cycle.

I like to think the mantid I have today is a descendant of that cool creature, though I cannot know for sure. :)

Yesterday, it had its first molt under my care and I'm so pleased. It's been eating the baby roaches I offer it, and I'm doing my best to give it the best care possible. :)

Today, we found another one on our rosemary plant in the back yard. My husband and I decided to leave it, as it was about the same size as the one we already have (though maybe a tad smaller now) and it seemed the right thing to do. On the other hand, if I happen to find another one, I'm going to bring it inside and set it up too. I don't think you can have too many mantids. Awesome, awesome critters! :)

Wysi

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
trust me you CAN have too many mantids! It becomes an obsession, taking over your personal space...but its worth it!
Do you know what species it is and do you have any pictures?