Phasmid questions

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want to try one of the larger, bulkier phasmid species (Extatasoma tiaratum, Heteropteryx dilatata, or similar species) and was just incidentally given a massive enclosure of wood and glass. The front doors, however, are screen, so I'm guessing I should use it for a species that doesn't need too much humidity. Suggestions?

Also, what's the best way to keep a steady food source? Most species I'm interested in eat bramble; can it be grown in their enclosure fast enough to keep up with their feeding? I'm probably going to start with just a couple sub-adults.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it is ok. for E. tiaratum and E. calcarata (I've never kept H. dilatata, so I can't tell you anything about them). They don't need high humidity (only small larvae). Of course, if you can cover part of that front screen, it will be much easier to keep highier humidity. And sprinkling water, every day in the evening, is very important for every specie.

Good food source is oak. I collect oak leafs every summer and put them to freezer. I use them during winter (which is usually cold in my country :rolleyes: ). You can also use leafs of other plants, like: strawberry, rose, aplle, raspberry ect.

You don't need to use any substratum in tank (easier to keep it clean). For E. calcarata you will need only small box with 3 cm layer of peat or garden soli (or something humid), because this specie dig eggs underground.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hiya people
, i was just wondering weather i can use oak for eurycantha calcarata?? bneacuse i have one and i keep having to pop round the corner to get bramble beacuse it dosent last long i.so i wanted to use something a bit more longlasting.

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally wouldn't cover any of the screen front. They might like it humid but they tend to need plenty of ventilation too. Just spray them everyday and perhaps use vermiculate on the floor.

The suggestions so far for food are good. The new growth on Bramble can be toxic to phasmids.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They seem to eat constantly, but do they need to? How much food is adequate? Or do they really need a supply kept up 24/7?

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my tiaratum supplied 24/7 - its easy enough to do. They get bramble, hawthorn or birch and its trimmed to fit into their flexarium then stuck in a jam jar of water. As long as there is enough greenery in the jar to prevent the insects from being able to fall in and drown they should be fine with this. Then its just a case of misting them regularly and cleaning out the 'cage' every time they need fresh food or a new piece of kitchen roll on the floor :)

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Answer to my phasmid food troubles

Hi folks, I live in PA so I had the winter to deal with in reguard to my phasmid food. During the summer, I fed my phasmids wild rose leaves. They seemed to enjoy that the most. I tried bramble and raspberry leaves and such, but they werent interested in that at all. :? Anyways, then towards the end of fall, I stumbled across a food source that kept me in the game all winter, or year for that matter... dandelion leaves. I gathered them out side, and they loved them! Just snipped off a few leaves in the yard and threw them in a jar of water and was set. When the snow started falling, I got my stash of dandelion greens from Wegman's. You get a HUGE bundle of them for like $1.15 or something like that. All species I keep love them. When summer rolled around again, I still use dandelions from out side, but also mix up the diet with some wild rose and oak. Hope that helps!

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm, I was wondering that right after I posted that message. I didnt know if Wegmans was a national chain, or just regional. It would appear its the latter. Anyways, I'm not sure if the Super Walmarts would carry them or not. I know alot of the health food stores carry them. Apparently people put them in their salads and stuff, which I can't imagine. I tasted a piece of it once and it tasted just like I expected to.... like dandelion weeds. Being that there isnt THAT many people that eat them (I think), the best place to looks would be some grocery store that has some-what specialty foods. The Wegmans store here has some harder-to-get ethnic foods and cooking supplies. I'd say just call around. Goodluck!

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Putting oak leafs to freezer is probably cheaper and easier. I use this method for a few years and it works.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Although most phasmids will take a wide variety of leaves, they will often be reluctant to take something that is new to them, even if it's something that the species would normally take. To introduce a new plant, start by mixing the new with the old so they have time to nibble at it and get used to the taste.

In the summer, I use oaks, which can be frozen as Dark Raptor says. However, they may be other trees that stay green in the winter that you could use as well. One such tree is waxmyrtle, (also known as bayberry). This tree is common here, both as a wild tree and it's often used as a landscape hedge. It likes really moist soil, so you often see it growing along the edges of ponds and lakes. Most phasmids seem to like it, and some seem to do better on it than bramble.

Didn't know about dandylion leaves, but if you can't find them in a regular grocery store, try a natural food/health food store. You know, the one where all the hippies shop.

Wade