Best feeder roaches

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is the best feeder roaches for Tarantulas. I tired of crickets. Are there any pros or cons feeding roaches over crickets?

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont realy know much about T's but all i know is that hisser are terrible feeders!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feeder roaches

For Tarantulas there is no advantage to crickets over roaches. Roaches are nutrtionally superior to crix and are much easier to care for, are more prolific. Good species to use as feeders are Blaptica dubia, Blaberus species such as fusca, craniifer,discoidales and parabolicus. About the smallest non climber around is Blatta orientalis or Blatta lateralis. Byrsotria fumigata is another excellent non climber slower moving then the dubia but wider and thicker as well as shorter in length. All the species I have mentioned are non climbers. The orientalis does run the risk of becoming a pest if it escapes. There really is no need to use lobster roaches the are a pain and inconvenient to work with. Use the Blatta species instead they offer everything lobster roaches do with out the hassles.

Digby Rigby

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

http://exoticfeeders.com

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it really depends on the type of tarantulas you're feeding. I use lobster roaches for my 1/4" slings because it's more convenient. For the larger Ts, I have to use more chunkier species like those belonging to the Blaberus species.

In my opinion, if you've got arboreal Ts, you're better off sticking to crickets than roaches because at least the crickets will climb around and get eaten right away whereas the roaches will burrow. Then again, that depends on the type of set-up you have too.

I've got a site up with caresheets comparing the pros and cons of some species I breed. The site's still in the works, so I don't have everything up that I want.

www.BugChick.com

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crix sux

Lobster roaches are a hassle to deal with if you need smaller roaches then you can use Panchlora nivea they climb and fly as adults but are very small and soft bodied. The nymphs dont climb. There are also other day active species of roaches such as those from the genus Gyna and Pseudomops. Also some species of phasmids are also good to use as feeders including the nymphs. I have not found it advantageous to use lobsters for anything because the inconvenience factor out wieghs any benefits to them. For arboreals you can just put a smooth shallow container up higher if need be. Species such as Blatta lateralis are small non glass climbing roaches that make lobster roaches redundant. Polyphaga aegyptica are another roach that is better then lobsters being ootheca layers and non climbers the babies are much more suited to 1/4 inch and smaller then lobster nymphs. Again there is no nutritional or ease of maintenece benefits to lobster roaches that other species cant do better, easier, and more efficiently.

My feeders are cooler than your pets!

Last edited:

JustBugs

Arachnopeon
Roaches over crickets as feeders

Roaches offer many benefits over crickets as feeders.
1.Their life span is extremely longer.
2.They don't have the odor of crickets.
3.They are extremely easier to care for.
4.They don't make noise.
5.They are easier to breed and raise.
6.Most crickets are nocturnal and hide during the day.
7.The nutritional content of roaches is far superior than crickets.

Many species of roaches are non climbers, which for obvious reasons, are the more preferable.
However, the lobster roach, which are easy to maintain, have some distinct advantages. They are soft bodied, as adults, which is preferable to some animals your feeding. Also, they breed mad crazy which is a great if your feeding a multitude of animals. Additionally, they are MUCH more reasonably priced than the non-climbing species.
The P. niveas (Green Cuban Roaches) are notorious escape artists as adults. With both the ability to fly and climb. Unless you have animals that prefer green prey it's best to stay away from this specie.
Remember though, that a variety of food prey is beneficial to any animal. Also, proper gut loading is a key to any feeder insect. Most insects assimilate and pass on to your animal, what you feed them. So their diet should consist of a good nutritional content, as well.

I hope this helps!!

www.justbugs.com

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
roach dude said:
i dont realy know much about T's but all i know is that hisser are terrible feeders!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Once again another statement without any proof whatsoever to back it up,i started a roach colony of hissers about 4 to 5 months ago,from what was being talked about in one of the earlier threads on this subject.Hissers are hard to breed,nothing but fat,blah blah blah without anything to substantiate it.In fact the main person stating this was supposed to give his evidence but provided nothing that could substantiate his claims.So being the person that i am i decided to find out for myself.

The colony was started with 6 females and 2 males under optimal conditions for hissers from what data i could find on thier native enviornment.The food source used is flukers cricket feed plus greens and shaved hearts of carrots.60 % humidty 80 to 86 degrees temp.I now have 400 babies with 3 more of the females looking gravid again 1 male died but thats been the only loss,so they are not hard to breed,so first falsehood busted.

As soon as i can get some lab time over at the university a friend there is going to determine thier nutritional value as there is nothing anywhere on this,including any data showing they are nothing but fat.I've been feeding the babies to the smaller T's and slings growth looks good and they are looking great.

Digby rigby said this info on the nutritional value and hissers being nothing but fat was at his site i and 2 others i know of went there and found nothing in fact there isnt much info on anything there.He also stated that this info was determined by someone at UC Berkley i asked for a link to this info still havent got it. :rolleyes: So i called uc berkley, :D no one there knew anything about it.Heres the original thread where this was being discussed. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40157&highlight=hissers

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've always wondered about this.

it seems like the roaches i keep, Mad. Hissers ( no where near ready to feed off of, and i started before Zuum and with ~3-4x as many... i kowtow to my better *thunk*thunk*) and lobster roaches, both seem much less inclined to snack on each other

if that is true, would that translate into a smaller chance of snacking on a molting pet?

(obviously this is an almost valueless speculative type question, but *could* pertain to advantages of roaches over crix)

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use lobster roaches... I wish they DIDN'T climb glass.... but they do breed quickly. I've heard that as far as meant to shell ratio, they are the best.

I'd love to find a better feeder roach, possible the discos or that hybrid one people feed... I'm really trying to stay away from crickets...

It took my spiders & centipedes a bit to get used to them...and I feed roaches probably 1/2 the time these days... does save on money, don't have to run to the pet store so often, and it ads variety to their diet.

I'd like to see what everyone else has to say on this subject....

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is proof

Dr Zuum there is no one who uses hissers as feeders if they have any experience and access to other roaches. people use hissers for one of 3 reasons. They are cheap. They cant find anything else. Or they dont know any better. You have not found anything contradictory to what I have stated. I love being found out to be incorrect. That is where growth comes from. Therefore I do not have to prove I am right you must prove me wrong! ;P you have not found anything that would contradict what I have stated. Do a dissection yourself on Hissers and see all shell and fat. No one who has access to other roaches or any experience with other roaches would choose hissers as feeders. Except those who are cheap or dont care about doing the best for their captives.

Digby Rigby

Last edited:

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started out using crickets, but didn't like the smell. I tried lobster roaches next and have been very happy with them. I use a large tupperware tub with a ring of vasoline about half way up the sides. In order to keep them from burrowing, I use forceps and crush their little heads when I feed them. The darn things can live for at least two days like that, so if a spider doesn't eat due to an upcoming molt, the roach can be fed to something else the next day. I have quarter inch slings that have no problem eating the smallest nymphs. Lobsters breed like crazy, eat cat food and apples, and don't smell. I think they are excellent feeders.

DanD

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
Digby Rigby said:
Dr Zuum there is no one who uses hissers as feeders if they have any experience and access to other roaches. people use hissers for one of 3 reasons. They are cheap. They cant find anything else. Or they dont know any better. You have not found anything contradictory to what I have stated. I love being found out to be incorrect. That is where growth comes from. Therefore I do not have to prove I am right you must prove me wrong! ;P you have not found anything that would contradict what I have stated. Do a dissection yourself on Hissers and see all shell and fat. No one who has access to other roaches or any experience with other roaches would choose hissers as feeders. Except those who are cheap or dont care about doing the best for their captives.

Digby Rigby

Digby Rigby said:
There is proof
Lets see it then,so far you've shown nothing.Neither at your site which has very little information on anything,or in the form of a link to the source and data.
No digby i dont have to prove you wrong,you have to validate your claim as there is not one shred of evidence to prove it,nor to back up your purported study which no one i talked to had ever heard of.Because you say it's so it is?Youre talking out your (_!_).So basically if someone said martians,and werewolves walk the earth,if no one could find anything to contradict it,it must be true?You cant seriously believe that type of logic is sound.And just so you know,dissection alone would not yield any information on nutritional value or fat content at all, :? "look at it you'll see" jesus you cant be serious. Like i said as soon as i can get some time a analysis will be done not just looking at it lol.

Last edited:

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The two of you have missed some strong points here. I don't use hissers becuase:

1) They have harder exoskeletons
2) They climb
3) They grow to a size that is far to large for my herps.

The last two reasons (if they fly, and breeding speed) are really what determines what roach species you're willing to get. (I have B. dubia myself). If you're just walking into some random large chain pet store, Hissers are the only roach you'll see if they have any at all. Obviously, if you go online, you have access to many different roach species. Also, at the really big shows, you'll probably see somebody selling different species of roaches (usually orangeheads or lobsters.)

I feed the T's the roaches most of the time (along with other insects, I try to keep a varied bug diet for my bug eaters). Unforunately, not all of my geckos realize the roaches are good eating.

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
Nope schlyne my friend im not missing anything.Granted there are species that breed faster and more prolifically,and are softer.I have never argued this,my point of contention is the they are hard to breed,and are nothing but fat.These are the most stupid statements i have ever heard.Especially since it has no basis in fact other than somebody sayng it.In fact im willing to bet before the nutritional analysis is even done that they have no more fat than any other roach,roach fat indeed phfffft!

Having no prior knowledge of roaches i contacted several breeders including the ones here in town,not one of them said they were hard to breed or all fat i was told they are slow growing as the drawback.In fact they seem to be breeding very well for me,the woman that owns the exotic shop here breeds all types of roaches, so several other species were available to me.

I chose to use these to put the hard to breed nothing but fat statement to the test,so far its failed to hold up.When the results are done we will see if the fat end of it,stands up or falls flat.As far as size goes the adult T's have no probs with the adult hissers,i bought a few spares when i first started this,the pokies dug them the avics,brachys,ephobop,gramma's,gbb's etc. no probs.The babies are quickly gobbled up by the slings.So far ive seen nothing that holds up to eliminate them as a good feeder source,there may be better choices but they are hardly the terrible hard to breed feeders that has been put forth.When the tests are done we will see what the fat % is sis. :)

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always hear that the roaches are better than crix and everyhting now.

I just think that it depends on what your feeding, like tarantulas maybe they like roaches over crix and they probaly won't eat as many roaches as crix which would save money right?

I though have 3 American Toads and 4 FBT's. ANd I know the American Toads could probaly eat the roaches but I found that the crix would be easier. The roaches have a harder exoskeletons, which could make it hard for the toad to eat and digest it, while the crix are soft and easy to eat.

And my FBT's couldn't ever eat a roach, it just would'nt fit in their mouths. I know what your thinking, well noone said to use it if the thing you are feeding it to is small, but I still tell people that I have small herps and there's no way it could eat it, but they insist getting roaches.

ANd for one thing crickets don't stink, all of these people saying that crickets end up stinking and such are crazy. The reason for the stink is that there is either dead crix in the enclosure, which you can't do anyhting about, they do die soemtimes, and that they have it over stocked in whatever enclosure their in. Like have 100-200 crix in a large kritter keeper, there' s no way you can have that many in there with out alot dying and it ends up stinking. And I have had 60 adult crix before in a large kritter keeper, and it was fine no stink or barley any dying. You just have to have alot of space for them, which you can add cardboard egg crates in there, and that really helps and that the food is not rotten. You still should pick up any decaying food and clean at least part of it every few weeks or of coruse it is going to smell.

And the people who do have roaches you can't say that if you don't clean their enclosure or take out any decaying food in a few weeks it's not going to smell. The only reason people say crix smell because they don't take care of their crix and that's the only reason they smell. The crix don't smell it's the enclosure that smells because it is not cleaned good enough. ANd I think that's the whole reason people say crix smell, it's just because they don't responsibility of cleaning it and they just end up sayign that crickets suck and they smell and everything.

I've had crix since I was 7(I am 16 now) when I got my first American Toad. ANd I didn't know about crix really good and didn't clean their tank barely at all, which did make them smell, but it wasn't because the crix smell it was because they were housed poorly and rarely cleaned. ANd for the people just saying crix smell, they need to step up and not just say that crikcets suck, because I bet it was of how they were housed.

I now have 12 thousand small crix in one of the rubbermaid containers, with plenty of egg crates, and is cleaned every few weeks and the decaying water sources are always brung out and it hasn't smelled yet. They have been in there for 2 weeks now and no smell at all.

I also have 200 adult crix in another rubbermaid rub with no smell and egg crates and everything and no smell either. They have been in there for almost a month now and nothing.

Also it depends on how they are sealed. If they have barely any ventilation the ammonia of their waste will build up and make it smell.

I also have reason why I think crix are better than roaches.
1. Crickets are softer than roaches making it easier for some animals to eat crix.
2. They do no escape. (People always say this, and again it's because of how their housed.)
3. You can easily get crix at a petstore, while I have yet to see any roaches as feeders in pet stores.
4. Easy to care for.( Just toss in some water source every few days and your done.)
5. Most people feel more comfortable keeping crix and touching them to feed their animals.

I know it's just preferences upon which to use, and that it really depends on what your feeding your crix or roaches too. I hope everyone reads this and not just pass it by for someone who is absolutely wrong, and think that crix are still a waste of time. I have looked at all of your posts so you all can be nice enough to read it and not comment baddly about it. Not agreeing with me is fine just tell why, just don't say whatever and that it's not my fault that my crix smell. That just shows that your weak and you know the truth about the smell of the crix and that your just denying the truth.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
packer43064 said:
And the people who do have roaches you can't say that if you don't clean their enclosure or take out any decaying food in a few weeks it's not going to smell.
They don't smell. I've had the same rubbermaid of roaches since January and I've never actually cleaned it out and they don't smell at all. I change out the fruit dish about once per week or so and I just add more water bites and they're fine (they also get some dry food). I don't clean it out or do any other maintenance and there is absolutely no smell at all. People who have visited and been near the container have told me they had no idea there were roaches there (they also thought they would smell).

packer... said:
The only reason people say crix smell because they don't take care of their crix and that's the only reason they smell. The crix don't smell it's the enclosure that smells because it is not cleaned good enough. ANd I think that's the whole reason people say crix smell, it's just because they don't responsibility of cleaning it and they just end up sayign that crickets suck and they smell and everything.
I've kept both crickets and roaches. Crickets smell within a couple of a weeks and I'm not going to do a complete cage cleaning every few days to keep everything odor-free. I'd rather spend my time focused on my Ts and their husbandry. One dead cricket can cause the entire holding area to smell.

2. They do no escape. (People always say this, and again it's because of how their housed.)
Yes they do. :) Non-climbing roaches (such as B. dubia) escape far less than crickets. Even my climbing roaches escape less often than crickets.

3. You can easily get crix at a petstore, while I have yet to see any roaches as feeders in pet stores.
Most petstores suck. :) This is just another reason why.

4. Easy to care for.( Just toss in some water source every few days and your done.)
Plus frequent cleaning, which is more time-consuming than roaches.

nomad85

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm this is regarding the hisser debate

I have been breeding my hissers for a few months, I have a 100 or so adults and about 500 nymphs(estimate) I feed the nymphs of to my chameleon and geckos. Hissers do have a bit more meat to them, but they arent all fat. The white stuff you see when they are crushed or disected is called the fat body, its actually part of how they store their nutrients and energy.
To say that hissers are wothless is a personal opinion and cannot be based on facts, If you think that they breed slowly and are full of fat then dont use them, I have seen my colonly double in size in under two months (small nymphs mind you, but thats what I need.) The only roach nutrition data I know of is for the american roach, none of the common feeder roaches have been studied properly yet to my knowlege.
Also hissers arent really cheap... Mine came from a science lab for free, but online they tend to go for at least a dollar each(seems rediculous to me..) I keep other species including dicoids,losters, and six spotteds. I find that the hissers and lobsters produce the most. I have a few adult hissers that were nymphs 4 months ago. so in my expirence if kept properly they arent slow breeding or growing(normal hissers, Ive heard that the giants grow slower. anyways with proper gutloading and supplementation hissers are in my opinion(and my chameleons) just as good as any other roach.

Last edited:

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well thn for replying and not being mean about it.

I don't beleive the first part though, your saying that they don't ever need to be cleaned, sorry to say but I highly doubt it.

And crix don't smell within a couple of weeks at all. I already told ya that mine don't. ANd when I said that they need cleaned every few weeks I didn't actually mean like goign outside and getting the hose and
cleaning it alland everything like that. I meant like taking out any dead crix and if ya see a mess clean it up. I haven't cleaned any of my crix enlosures at all. I have had them as is since December when I got the two big rubbermaid bins.

They don't just escape. I ahven't had any escapes yet, I always ahve the lid on and everything. Only reason they escape is because the lid is off or the bin or whatever is not setup right.

Well until I see roaches at a petstores I'm goign to still use and always have crix, their always there.

Frequent cleaning, tell me what ya mean by that. I hardly ever mess with my crix except feeding time for my herps. ANd I bet you do soem cleaning with roaches, there's now ay you just put them in their enclosure and bam their set forever.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i can say that crickets tend to smell after a day or so, but this might have to do with the conditions the pet store keeps them in. i mean some places do the minimu care required for animals and even less for feeder animals. i take all dead crix out when i see them and seeing how i only feed dry food to the crix i know the smell isn't from rotten/rotting food. i have them in a well ventilated enclosure and yet they still begin to stink after a few days.

As for roaches.. i dunno. i don't have any yet so i can't say if they smell or not...