Encouraging egg-laying in stick insects

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I own three McLeay's Spectre stick insects (Extatosoma Tiaratum), two females and one male. They have shed recently and I've seen the male mate with at least one of the females. My question is does anyone have any tips on how to encourage them to lay eggs? Will they lay regardless of conditions once mated, or is there anything I can do to 'help them along'?

They are housed in a 12"x12"x10" mesh and wood cage with one plastic side (velcroed on), fed on bramble, hawthorn or birch and are all active and healthy.

Any tips? Hints?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She will fire out around half a dozen eggs per day once she is ready. Expect about 500 eggs from her in total. You shouldn't need to do anything special. She can produce viable eggs regardless of mating, since she can reproduce parthanogenically.

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The housing seems a little on the small side for adult Spectres. I wouldn't worry about encouraging egg laying, try stopping them! I know 500 eggs has already been suggested but from experience I'd say you could expect closer to 1000.
I stopped breeding them and sold the last of mine at the end of last summer. In a fit of laziness I just put the tank they were in in the spare room without cleaning it out and I left the top off. Even now we still get eggs hatching and we keep finding the babies wondering all over the house. The place I used to sell them to as asked me for more so I've collected a few up to breed again.

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
KingBollock said:
The housing seems a little on the small side for adult Spectres. ...I know 500 eggs has already been suggested but from experience I'd say you could expect closer to 1000.
I'm hoping to get them a bigger flexarium soon. And as for the 'closer to 1000' - sounds good to me ;)