Molting and Feeding Photos

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I happened upon my A. avicularia sling molting tonight and was able to get a few pictures. It built a funnel web a few weeks ago and has been sluggish ever since. It molted inside the web, hanging onto the side. When it was completely out, it fell about an inch to the floor! I thought it would surely make some type of padding underneath itself to molt on, instead of just hanging onto the side of the web.

Since my lobster roach colony seems to be doing well, I fed my P. murinus a roach for the first time. Much more exciting to watch than feeding crickets!

After 4 months of waiting, my 1/4" G. aureostriata finally molted! It looks to have only grown less than 1/4", and that this rate it'll mature by 2010. ;)

GabooN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice, i like the avic sequence. So did the molt stay stuck to the web once he fell? as if it were a living T clinging to the glass? i guess their ability to stick when they walk doesnt need to be 'used', its more of a passive ability?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome pics. I like the flowers in the slings tank. Also, seeing that roach being devoured makes me look forward to the day I am so far into this hobby that I am forced to raise my own roaches to feed out. Woohoo {D

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
GabooN said:
nice, i like the avic sequence. So did the molt stay stuck to the web once he fell? as if it were a living T clinging to the glass? i guess their ability to stick when they walk doesnt need to be 'used', its more of a passive ability?
Yeah, when it was done the molt stayed positioned on the side. I had to look closely, at first I mistook the molt for the T until I noticed the T huddled at the bottom.

About 10 minutes later the T started moving around, climbed up to where the molted skin was, and pushed it down to the bottom.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey becca nice pictures :clap: , dont you just love the crunch when they attack roaches :D

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool pics! Yeah, I always find it funny when they throw their old molt out.....taking out the trash.....so cute....

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
becca81 said:
After 4 months of waiting, my 1/4" G. aureostriata finally molted! It looks to have only grown less than 1/4", and that this rate it'll mature by 2010. ;)
heh!

i have 3 slings that started the same size (2 from the same clutch, 1 unknown). The unknown spider hasn't molted in 4-5 months, but one of the others has had two huge molts... so at this point the small one could fit *inside* the abdomen of the large one {D

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I absolutely love feeding roaches to my Ts. Two reasons...1) It's the best feeding show I've seen. 2) I really hate friggin' roaches. All of them. Bastards!

Congrats on the molts as well.