? to cockroach people

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have they ever gotten out? If they do, is it simple deal with them if they do? Are some species just simply No-no if you are afraid of tehm getting out?

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had few escapes... but I live in 'cold' country so I'm safe :rolleyes:

I'm afraid only Periplaneta, Blatta and Blatella species. They can breed in my climate.

mbthorman

Arachnopeon
cockroach people

I did have a large Florida wood roach (aka skunk roach) escape from a container. She was gone a month. One night after work, I went out to check my roaches and she was back! Same container even. I recognized her because she had a peculiarly shaped scar on her back. Maybe she decided life was easier with regular meals and protection from lizards, heavy rains, and the like.
That was in Florida. Now I'm in Costa Rica and wouldn't want any of my giant roaches escaping. I have a puppy that thinks he's a big-game hunter with big insects and I have a coatimundi who loves insects. One or the other would probably track it down and eat it.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Snipes said:
Have they ever gotten out? If they do, is it simple deal with them if they do? Are some species just simply No-no if you are afraid of tehm getting out?
Oh yeah, they get out sometimes. Drives my husband nuts!

What drives ME nuts, is doing a roach count (a strange obsession, but I don't do it with the lobsters -- too many of those), and finding some of the orange-head immatures hanging out in the containers of my other species.

As far as the roach count, I'm mostly checking to see how the numbers are going. If they go down, I'm doing something wrong. If they go up, then obviously I'm doing ok. ;)

The first time I found an orange-head in another species' container, I figured maybe Wade had accidentally let one slip in with the discoidales I bought from him in addition to the orange-heads. I mean, Wade was the blame for Thriller running up my leg (you'd have to have seen the post from about a month or two ago -- could probably do a search for "Thriller" if you're interested). And since I got to blame him for one thing, why not blame him for the other?

But then it started happening here at home, weeks after I got them and Wade wasn't here for me to blame (but I COULD blame him anyway). ;)

Truth is, that I have them in those big bins and though they can't climb the smooth sides, they CAN climb the corners. Maybe I need to do the vaseline thing with those containers or switch to something without corners. :p

Anyway, here in AZ, there's not enough humidity to sustain them for long, so they're not able to go crazy and make babies run all over my house. If they do, there are certainly plenty of wild housespiders to deal with it. *grin*

Wysi

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As Wysi wrote, vaseline works well. But species what are able to fly (like P. nivea), a lid is necessary. ;)

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Some of my Surinam roaches escaped into nearby millipede tanks until I upped security. I'm really lucky that none of them were adults. I've never had a hisser or Orange head escape though.

Beeker

Arachnopeon
they escape sometimes my lobsters but if i see them crawling around i return them to their home i have bug stopper all the way around the container so no escape from the container but when im feeding my geckos and get distracted and leave the top off the cage a few can get out and thats where im sure the escapes came from.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WYSIWYG said:
Oh yeah, they get out sometimes. Drives my husband nuts!
What drives ME nuts, is doing a roach count (a strange obsession, but I don't do it with the lobsters -- too many of those), and finding some of the orange-head immatures hanging out in the containers of my other species.

As far as the roach count, I'm mostly checking to see how the numbers are going. If they go down, I'm doing something wrong. If they go up, then obviously I'm doing ok. ;)

The first time I found an orange-head in another species' container, I figured maybe Wade had accidentally let one slip in with the discoidales I bought from him in addition to the orange-heads. I mean, Wade was the blame for Thriller running up my leg (you'd have to have seen the post from about a month or two ago -- could probably do a search for "Thriller" if you're interested). And since I got to blame him for one thing, why not blame him for the other?

But then it started happening here at home, weeks after I got them and Wade wasn't here for me to blame (but I COULD blame him anyway). ;)
Wysi-

Feel free to blame me if you want :) . Those orange heads do dometimes turn up in places they're not supposed to be, but they stand out like a sore thumb against the blabs so I don't THINK any slipped into the cup I sent you, but it's possible!

Wow, you actually count all those things! I've developed an allergy (severe hives) to them and try to minimize handling wherever possible. When I send them to sombody, I'm always give big overcounts, not because I'm generous but because I'd rather give a bunch extra than to have to touch each one!

Wade

Atrax robustus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
18 Species and only surinams have escaped so far the local population of false widows (S.paykullianus) in the animal room loved them!
AR

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Discoids

I only keep Blaberus discoidales because they are unable to climb glass or plastic, so escapes are a moot point!

Good luck.

Arach-attack

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep three species Lobsters, Discoids and Orange Heads and so far no escapes. ;)

Merumontanus

Arachnopeon
We're now down to just raising the non climbing species and not one escapee with them. However, we keep them in larger rubbermaid containers.
In the past though, we have attempted the P. niveas (Green Banana Roach) to try to coax some finicky chameleons into eating. These roaches are escape artist, par excellente!!! We started calling them Houdini Roaches.