Help with ID, please...

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few months ago I bought this T as a "Suntiger", so back then I was thinking it was a P. irminia. The more I get a chance to look at this T, the more I think it was mis-ID'd in the pet store I bought it at. The first reason why I began to think it wasn't what they said it was once I got it home and housed, is because it didn't build the typical arboreal web between the cork bark and the side of the enclosure. Instead, it built a burrow of sorts by webbing between the substrate and the cork bark, and then packed substrate against the sides of the web. It had formed quite the elaborate home by the time I recently rehoused it, none the less all at the bottom of the enclosure.

I've got the feeling its some sort of Haplopelma species (male H. minax or male H. lividum maybe). Anyone with a fair degree of knowlege please voice your thoughts. I really hope the pictures are clear enough. It's quite quick and will strike a pose at the slightest disturbance, so I didn't wanna get to close (yeah, I'm a chicken). Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
their is a chance that it could be some type of haploplema specie

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, for sure not a P. irminia...
I won't give any ID, but it's indeed build like a burrowing species (strong carapace etc.), so your guess could be into the right direction.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like a very freshly moulted H sp."Vietnam" (are we using vonwirthi yet??)

Or it could be a popcorn spider ;)

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it's a popcorn!

It's not suntiger for sure!

Some Haplopelma sp .... or something...

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lopez said:
Looks like a very freshly moulted H sp."Vietnam" (are we using vonwirthi yet??)

Or it could be a popcorn spider ;)
Correct Lopez, very freshly molted! My guess is somewhere between one and 2 weeks. Thanks for the ID! ( :? Popcorn Spider :? )

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorps_n_Ts said:
Correct Lopez, very freshly molted! My guess is somewhere between one and 2 weeks. Thanks for the ID! ( :? Popcorn Spider :? )
Popcorn spider bit is a joke - normally people post a question here looking for ID and there are many totally random guesses so far off the mark that you may as well sit back, eat some popcorn and enjoy the show!

MsDemeanor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope, doesn't look like a suntiger to me, here's mine.
Just managed to take it out for a picture or two for you. I am kinda glad it likes me lol. Yurs def looks to be Haplopelma sp.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MsDemeanor said:
Nope, doesn't look like a suntiger to me, here's mine.
Just managed to take it out for a picture or two for you. I am kinda glad it likes me lol. Yurs def looks to be Haplopelma sp.

This doesn't look like a suntiger ( P.irminia) either. It looks like a P.cambridgei.

It might be a mature male P.irminia. But I don't think so.

Last edited:

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MsDemeanor said:
What makes you say that? :)
Yes, what are you basing your ID on? I would lean more toward a young male P. irminia in MsD's case than P. cambridgei. It just looks to be displaying more P. irminia type features, IMO. :D

Sinister, thanks for the confirmation! Much appreciated! :worship:

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope, not Psalmopoeus at all. Definitly Asian imho read=> lack of Irdicating hairs, exhibiting a typicaly Haplopelma style tiger rump. Also, has terestrial feet. Suntiger shots below have the tell tale arboreal widened "bell bottom" feet of the front legs out of frame.

Again, no way its new world, or arboreal. Start by viewing pics of some of the darker Asian species like H.Schmidti (dark phase), or H.Minax, then go from there.

my 2 cents,

-jasonic

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
David Burns said:
This doesn't look like a suntiger ( P.irminia) either. It looks like a P.cambridgei.

It might be a mature male P.irminia.
That's a joke, isn't it? :?

Nope, not Psalmopoeus at all. Definitly Asian imho read=> lack of Irdicating hairs
Does Psalmopoeus posses urticating hairs? ;) ;P (sorry, couldn't resist...)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MsDemeanor said:
What makes you say that? :)
In reference to the photo MsDemeanor posted; A P.irminia is black and red, in the female its whole life, in the male until it matures and then it become, an olive green.

The P.cambridgei (Trinidad cheveron) Is a greenish olive from sling to adult.