Are these what i think they are? :)

Magician

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Image might be a bit big for 56k users if you enlarge it..4 MP's, not resized! I thought about circling it, but it should be apparent what hook like thing i'am talking about...Does this mean it's a mature male fully? (Has in another thread it was determined his webbing upside down was sperm webbing, but the matting is very light and thin and he tears it up now when he moves onto it, i'll edit the url in later.)

Thanks for replys in advance....had ts over a year and still confused... :D

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Yep...you have a matured male there..find a female for him or send him off to a breeder that has a female.

Magician

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
W00t Fish!

Thanks guys,

Now question: If he wasn't sperm webbing, would he still be mature and ready to breed? Or was he not ready untill he was webbing?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
First ,,,,What species is he?

Second......He needs to harden up if he just molted into a matured male. He will need to build a sperm web and load his bulbs before entering with the female.

Thanks guys,

Now question: If he wasn't sperm webbing, would he still be mature and ready to breed? Or was he not ready untill he was webbing?

Magician

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well

Yes, yes, you guys want the speicies but i have so many questions and i just keep talking (Or posting).

This is a Cyclosternum fasciatum. I Understand there's some confusion with this speicies/genus, but as far as i know that is his ID, and he's at least a Cyclosternum. He came home from the store about a week, three days ago and was already like he is now as seen in the picture.
The store did not have have any molt record and he was sold as a female, the container was really opaqe and i couldnt see to tell he had the hooks at the time. They also told me to be really careful because this speicies was fast and aggressive (a fact i made a fool of myself about in another thread!, as well as overlooking the fact that the t was settling into it's new tank.). I have since handled him. What he has done is sit in the 'webbed' corner (which he webs on his back with his abondemend up in the hair wriggling about, and pace about uneasy like and at random, which might be more facts to farther that he is a mature male.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Magician said:
What he has done is sit in the 'webbed' corner (which he webs on his back with his abondemend up in the hair wriggling about.
This sounds like he was making a sperm web. He's ready to go!

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Yep..if he was like this..then he is ready for breeding!

This pic shows the depositing of a droplet of sperm under the web. From here the male climbs out and gets atop the web and reaches down with his pedipalps and loads his bulbs. The second pic shows him on top of the web loading the bulbs. If you look close,,you can see the point of the bulb at the end of the pedipalp.

Last edited:

Magician

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awww

Aw, nope, that's not at all what mine is doing..he falls on his back with all eight legs up in the air, flat on his back, then wiggles his rear around at random and makes very, thin (they wont appear in photos) webs that falls into a mat flush with the ground. He then sits on it and messes it all up.

However, there was a structure with that "( " attached to the side of the wall and then the ground shape in the container he came home in; maybe i was stupid since i cleaned that tank out and destoryed it..there was webbing all over that little critter keeper though.

Maybe i'll trade him off to someone who has a female and can better judge what's going on.