Grammostola actaeon

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont ya just love it when they stop for the pic, nice T.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
F.J.A. - Is that specimen still growing?

All the adult female G. actaeon I have seen lose the red hairs on the abdomen.

Last edited:

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a G.actaeon sub-adult female and its red hairs are almost gone.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a G.actaeon sub-adult female and its red hairs are almost gone.
Right, I was wondering about his picture labeled as an adult female. Maybe "adult" in the sense she may be sexually mature, but if it is G. actaeon I think it has some more growing to do. The red hairs are already not that prominent, but they should fade completely in the next molt or 2.

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
F.J.A. - Is that specimen still growing?

I was under the impression that adult female G. actaeon lose the red hairs on the abdomen.
Yes, it's not really large, but I thought it should be adult (in the sense of sexual mature)...
I know that what is commonly sold as G. actaeon loses its red hairs, but I've seen a very large specimen which had beautiful red hairs on its abdomen, and the owner told me that it should be a G. actaeon, so maybe there are different forms (or species?) around?
I don't know, time will tell if it this specimens will lose its color or not (BTW, it's not my specimen but a friends one, so thanks to Mario Staib)...

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ut I've seen a very large specimen which had beautiful red hairs on its abdomen, and the owner told me that it should be a G. actaeon, so maybe there are different forms (or species?) around?
I've seen spiders labeled G. actaeon that are more likely to be G. iheringi (which does have the "red-rump" when mature).

F. J. A.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen spiders labeled G. actaeon that are more likely to be G. iheringi (which does have the "red-rump" when mature).
Could be a possibility, I'm not that much interested in NW-species, I don't even have a G. rosea or any other Grammostola...
I remember that I've talked about this issue with a friend who has many (~10 species) Grammostola, but I can't really remember what he told me... :?