What do predatory mites eat?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have not gotten a breakout of mites, thank god. However i am a little nervous because i know it is bound to happen sometime. If i were to get mites it would take me quite a while to get predatory mites because i would need to send a money order so it would be days before they arrived. Does anyone know how to breed and keep predatory mites so that if i needed them i could just have them right there and be able to take care of the problem quickly?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
What you should do is order the mites and put them in all your tanks right away. Keep the substrate slightly moist, they don't like it bonedry and will die off.
Once the mites are in your substrate they will find nourishment there in form of larvae and tiny eggs of the mites you are afraid of. So you don't need an actual outbreak in order to start the cleanup process. Another thing is that predatory mites should actually used *before* anything happens. Once you have an outbreak they'll need a lot more time to deal with the problem.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats a great idea. I think i will do just that. Can i put them in with millipedes without any problem as well?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Just one thing before you order any - If you keep your tanks dry and only occasionally moisten a spot then you won't ever have a problem with mites and at least T's arnt in any danger of dehydration if you keep the waterdish full and give them well hydrated feeders.

But if you still wanna go with predators then you can just throw them in everywhere I think. Because evnentho you might start off putting them in one single tank, over time they'll stroll about and find their way into your other tanks aswell. I don't think they are any danger to inverts as long as those don't lay microscopic eggs in the ground, because that's what and where the predators will harvest the most.