B dubia questions...who can help out?

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello, I posted a few questions in the B. dubia sticky but didn't get answers to two specific ones so I shall ask again.

Anyone know if a fully-grown dubia has a hard shell? I am going to be feeding my T as well as 4 frogs (3 pac-man/horned frogs and 1 Budgett's frog) and I want to make sure the shells are not hard enough to do damage to their mouths. I am not looking for hisser quality shells!!! ;)

Secondly, how many of you out there with dubia keep a heat pad under the container WITHOUT substrate? I don't want to use substrate but using a heat pad to increase breeding sounds inticing.

Thanks all.

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Shelob

The B. dubias have semi-hard shells. None of my spiders, lizards or other roach-eating animals have had problems with them. If it makes you feel better; serve them when freshly moulted, as they are soft and delicious.

Second question: Place the heat device on the side of the box/terrarium/container, then they can use the "cool" hide if they think it is too hot.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Laila, I coudln't have said it better.

I slapped a heat pad on the side of my colony and left it on for about 6 months to accelerate breeding speed. I've turned it off at this point to slow growth down a bit.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you both, kind posters. Looks like a shipment of dubia should make its way to my home soon.

Thanks again :worship:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Just for the record - I have no substrate and have a 35 deg. Celcius heat pad right under one side of the container. They have enjoyed that heat for 5 months now and the colony has exploded from 50 to about 500 roaches since then.

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also don't use substrate & presently am being overrun with dubias. When encouraging the breeding process, I simply used one of those ceramic 100W bulbs (no light) & placed it on top of the screen. Everytime I did that, they would congregate underneath the spot where the heat was.....but now that I have waaaayyyyy toooooo many roaches, I leave the heat off except to give them a treat (so to speak) once in a while. None of my Ts will eat an adult dubia because they don't like the shell, so I do as laila says, I feed when they are white (just molted), they are very soft then. :)

Beth

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Now that's interesting... I have yet to come across a T that doesn't eat them. Mind you, I've not tried them with all I have but the ones that got some have always taken them readily.

What T's do you have and how (old), large are they?

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a heat mat inside and under the roach motel and I think they love it. I keep a litle substrate (aspen pine) the nymphs like to hide in it. as far as adult, I feed my adult male to my T's and they seems to enjoy it, their shell is not really that hard.

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Now that's interesting... I have yet to come across a T that doesn't eat them. Mind you, I've not tried them with all I have but the ones that got some have always taken them readily.

What T's do you have and how (old), large are they?

Hmmm.....I did not say they would not eat the roaches, I think,......what I was trying to say is that none of my Ts will eat adult B.dubias. They will eat, however, when the roach is a bit smaller & the shell is softer & especially when they have just molted. You can tell by the color of the roach. They are white when first molted & then darken until they have reached the hardened stage.

My Ts range from 5" (a Chaco male) down to spiderlings. I have several B.smithi females in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Most of the Ts will grab the roach (appropriately sized) when first dropped in. Some of my Ts don't do that, however. That is where I encounter problems because the B.dubia plays dead & the T loses interest. :p

I did an experiment not too long ago & (I swear!!) the B.dubia did not move for 3 days!! They have the patience of saints. :razz: Anyway, some of those will take the roach from plastic feeding tweezers, that is if I can manage to hang onto the roach. It seems that is when they really kick. {D

My 3 Avics, however, prefer crickets. I have even dropped the roaches into the webbing & later I would find the roach on the bottom. One of the Avics, though, will take it if I hand feed her. (She is so spoiled) :)

Even though some of my Ts have a 4" leg span, my adult dubias are of considerable size so I just use those for breeding. There are plenty of other sizes to choose from. :)

Maybe my Ts are wusses, but they just don't want the BIG adults.

In any case, I do love the dubias because when there is a detectable odor, it is rather sweet, like honey. I am very sensitive to bad odors & these roaches do not smell at all in terms of being stinky. They are so easy to care for & on some level, I kinda love them. Hows that for an ol' lady? hehe {D

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
hahaha... :)

Odd then, I've gotten rid of every adult dubia I've ever fed any of my arachninds. Maybe yours aren't houngry enough when you feed them? I feed mine every 2, to 3, to 4 weeks, depending on the size of the abdomen and how often I see them in hunting position.

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I do have one T that will most likely take the big adults. This past January, I got a little P.cancerides as a freebie......have never had a somewhat aggressive species before, so this is a new experience for me. Anyway, the P.cancerides named Tude, :razz: is growing sooooo fast & I'm a bit taken aback by it yet at the same time, am intrigued & fascinated......anyway....LOL....the point I'm trying to make is......that he/she has a HUGE appetite, is VERY aggressive in feeding behavior, has eaten anything I put in, including roaches......soooo....can't wait until it gets grown & I put in a full grown B.dubia.....hehehe :drool:

Judging from its growth, that won't be too long.

......And.....umm.....yea.....guess mine are a bit....umm.....well fed. :eek: