Beetle Breeding question: Specifically rotting logs...

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi all,

today I collected ALOT of fallen Oak logs. Due to the aridity of the environmant, they are old and dead, but arnt very decomposed or soft, in fact, its wood that would be great for the fireplace. Some logs do show Longhron beetle chambers though.

What Im going to do is chop up the logs into smaller pieces and place them in thick plastic bags (with a few airholes) with water and some compost.

anywho to my question, Ive read on several Japanese sites and in Orins book about accelerated fermentaion. Ive also read it doesnt work for big pieces.

Is there a way to get larger pieces, like 3in-14in in length and 1in-6in in thickness, to decompose faster?

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, I know. Its just the work of chopping up these logs im trying to avoid.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For short term needs, finely-chipped aspen bedding can serve as a stand in, as it will decay quickly in a moist environment. I've used it when I was too lazy to go out and collect wood (I have it around anyway for reptiles). For your long term needs, Try starting a wood pile and keeping it wet and covering it with a tarp to trap moisture in.

Although I'm jealous of the many great inverts you guys have out west, there are some advantages to living in the east! I can collect all the soft rotten wood I want about a hundred yards from where I type.

Wade

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wade said:
For short term needs, finely-chipped aspen bedding can serve as a stand in, as it will decay quickly in a moist environment. I've used it when I was too lazy to go out and collect wood (I have it around anyway for reptiles). For your long term needs, Try starting a wood pile and keeping it wet and covering it with a tarp to trap moisture in.

Although I'm jealous of the many great inverts you guys have out west, there are some advantages to living in the east! I can collect all the soft rotten wood I want about a hundred yards from where I type.

Wade
Ah of course! I worked with all kinds of small animal bedding at a petstore, but becuase of the reactions I got from the shavings and dust (Im not alergic), it just seemed "not good" for anything, including small mammals.

but Ill take your recomendation to heart.

Is there any evidence that "wild" wood is better though?

and yes, I love living in this state with almost all of the U.S.'s most fabulous inverts! If you want anything from here, PM me and we can maybe work out a deal.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd steer away from any wood shavings at the pet store OTHER than aspen. Most others are made from pine or cedar and are toxic to nearly everything, but aspen is not related to those trees and is perfectly safe for use. It's the product most recomended br rodent breeders and many herpers love it as well. I've used it in beetle and millipede substrate mixes successfully.

I might hit you up for some AZ inverts!

Wade