Dumb Dog Keeps Eating My O.H. Roaches!!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
(I was starting to put this in the not-so-spineless forum, until I realized I had a roach question, so here it is). :p

My dog is getting on my nerves.

Seems he is just so darned DESPERATE for attention, that he is willing to get himself into trouble when he's not getting to play ball or go for a walk. (He does this sort of thing alot lately).

The night before last, I was feeding my black widow and he was watching, when I suddenly heard a noise -- him peeing on my spider room carpet.
I think he tried to create a flood to get rid of all the bugs because he's jsut so jealous of everything and everyone I pay attention to. :(

Yesterday, one of the adult orange-heads was out. I suspect the dog probably pulled it out and dropped it (but I can't be sure). He saw me trying to get the roach before he did, and he went at it before I did. It disappeared. (A few minutes later, I found another one, so maybe he flung it across the room, but I thought he had actually eaten it).

Today, I found a dead one in the bathtub (which reminds me, I'd better throw it away before my husband finds it). :p

And just a few minutes ago, another one was out. He beat me to it, and I chased him out of the room and shut the door. I went looking and found it on the floor, so maybe he didn't really get it? (Unless it was another one that got out).

Up until now, I didn't think the adults could climb anything? I mean, how did the roach get into the bathtub? It would have had to get out of its container, walk out of the spider room, probably at night with the door closed, take a left turn, and then a right turn. And then it would have needed to take another left turn after entering the bathroom to get into the smaller area, where the tub is. He/she would then have had to maybe climb the shower curtain. WAIT A MINUTE! THERE IS NO SHOWER CURTAIN!!!

Which leads me to wondering how they are getting out if it's not the dog "helping" them. I've seen the babies end up in other roach containers, but I didn't expect to see adults getting loose.

Mind you, I use those big huge boxes with the blue lids attached, though I keep them open for better ventilation.

The only thing I can think is that maybe they are crawling up the edges now. I wonder if putting some vaseline on the top would do any good since it seems to keep the lobster roaches from getting out?

I just don't have the money to go buy rounder containers without corners so I'm pretty much stuck with what I have.

I'm now thinking of buying a sign for my spider room that says "NO DOGS ALLOWED -- This means YOU, Cholla" but since he can't read, what would be the point? :p

Wysi

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wysi,
that's a funny story!

I just got some Hissers and some Lobsters, and the vaseline really helps keep them down!!!

Good luck
Martin {D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They generally can't climb smooth CLEAN surfaces like glass or plastic, but if it's dirty AT ALL they may be able to. Also, plastic tubs tend to get scratched by use and cleaning, and they can easily climb it then. A band of vaseline should help. Also, sometimes I'll cut a big hole in the middle of the lid. I used to glue sceen in, but it works just as well without it. Even if they can climb up the sides somewhat, they usually can't manage to climb upside down to get out.

They can usually climb painted walls as there is enough texture to get a foothold, so that may explain how it got in the tub.

Wade