Pill Bugs??

nomad85

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've read that pill bugs are a good insect to keep with roaches. Is this true and do they really make that big of a difference? I'vo got tons in my alley just waiting to be thrown to my roaches, but I want some other opinions before I decide to let them mingle...

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i put pill bugs in my P.imp tank. they make one hell of a good clean up crew.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep pillbugs and sowbugs in with my crickets (the cricket keeper). I don't experience the stink associated with keeping crickets, so I believe it is the pillbugs cleaning it all up.

I use the pillbugs and/or sowbugs to clean up the tarantula cages as needed. They do a great job there, too.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
I keep pillbugs and sowbugs in with my crickets (the cricket keeper). I don't experience the stink associated with keeping crickets, so I believe it is the pillbugs cleaning it all up.
Really? I tried that but it never helped the cricket smell, but they do make great clean-up crew in my other tanks.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use them in my t tanks. Also, I have a colony of them.

nomad85

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
breeding

What is the best way to breed them? I just captured a hundred or so of various sizes. Should I jsut put them with the roaches or let them breed in their own bin for a while? I know how they reproduce and that they need alot of moisture, but does anyone have any tips:) thanks

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i find a 1 gallon ice cream tub with some moist peat in it and chucks of wood, works well to cultivate a colony of them.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Any kind of container with a lid, some moist peat or moist soil or other, a heat pad, enough organic matter (food) that doesn't mould to quickly , and a few weeks later it says POOF! and you have to dig your way through them to get trough your room... as easy as that. ;)

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pill bugs

The key is to not let them dry out. These little creatures need a damp enviroment. I keep mine on coconut fiber and peat with bark and lots of dry leaves. I keep it pretty moist and there are tons of babies everywhere.
James
www.blaberus.com

nomad85

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Should I keep the pill bugs and sow bugs seperate? Is one better than the other? I found a couple hundred pill bugs and about 10 sowbugs.