PDA

View Full Version : P metallica

Immortal_sin
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
I rehoused the P metallica today, and took a few pics. I'm in agony over the gender of this spider. I can't seem to sex pokies at all, and this spider has torn every molt to shreds before I can get to it. I don't know if P metallica can be dorsally sexed either. It's getting fairly large, probably close to 4" or so by now. I'm leaning towards male, but that's just a guess.....

Fred
06-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Nice Metallica, I really want to get one...

Beardo
06-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Amazing spider. Regardless of sex, you're one lucky gal! :D

DR zuum
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Nice very nice,just curious ive noticed the blue being very intense in some,not so intense in others.Typical variation amongst individuals?Or gender specific?I havent seen enough of these to hazard a guess 2 so far in person,1 beat up one i came by.The only reason i've held off on buying one from a dealer is it would be a display/breeding animal for me,so i would want a female for longevity.But since any dealer that id'ed a female sling would probably charge me double for it,i guess i'll have to wait till the price drops further and my wife might let me get 3 or 4.May yours be female Holley.

Immortal_sin
06-26-2005, 08:24 PM
thanks all. As far as the blue coloring, flash tends to bright it out ALOT. To me, it looked more purply then blue in the kitchen with outdoor light. However, I couldn't figure out how to turn the flash OFF to get the colors right. It IS that blue in sunlight, but not in daylight, IME. Also, it does seem more muted than some pics I've seen, but again, flash does freaky things, so I don't know. It seems like the lines on this T 'blend' more, and are not so sharply defined. I guess that is partly what makes me think it may be a male. Whatever it turns out to be, I'm still happy I have it :)

GoTerps
06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Nice Holley!

I've heard rumblings that you start to see some slight color differences dorsally in subadults... that one or the other carry more "white" than the other. However, in the ones I've raised so far I haven't noticed a difference. My largest male is 4.5" at the moment, and I don't notice the color differnce in him vs. my larger females. Although I haven't spent any real time comparing it closely.

I've found sexing this species ventrally to be more difficult as well, at least for me.

DR zuum
06-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Your observation is good enough for me Eric.It must be just a lighting issue or variation.

Philth
06-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Heres some ventral shots of both female, and male around 4-5 inches. I hope they help, more than confuse you. This is a hard spider to sex, I cant tell you how many hours I've wasted staring at them. Sexing the exuvia with a microscope is kinda hard too, they have the smallest spermathecae.
pic 1-F, pic 2-M

xBurntBytheSunx
06-27-2005, 01:59 AM
very attractive spider...how is their temperment?

metallica
06-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Your observation is good enough for me Eric.It must be just a lighting issue or variation.

it mainly has to do with size. once they get 5" the blue "explodes" and becomes so intense you have to see it in real life to believe it!

Eddy