Catching Crickets

Trenth_171

Arachnopeon
I went ahead and bought a couple dozen crickets so it would last me a couple of weeks. I went a head and put them in an aquarium with some substrate and food and egg cartons. My problem now is trying to get a hold of those little things. Any ideas or tricks that would help get a cricket out without them escaping and without it taking forever to try to catch one. :?

odinn7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Throw some card board toilet paper or paper towel tubes in there too. When you want to get some out, lift the tube and they cling to it.

hike34

Arachnopeon
I use small carton boxes (the kind that tooth past comes in) with a closable lid. I just leave it in there. the crickets eventualy start living in it. I close the lid and take them out. open a crack in the lid and shake - and out comes a cricket...

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for really small crics we use a straw cut in half. For the large crics its tweezers or a little nudge in the right direction.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cryptly said:
I just reach in with my hand and grab them.
I was beginning to think I was the only one that did that.

Although I do use a spoon to catch the little ones.

Streetfighterz

Arachnopeon
Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this will help you out any, but i bought some crickets from a petstore....Called PetsMarket, and they use a funnel looking thing, i guess that would be kind of pointless unless you are trying to catch a bunch of crickets. Or maybe it would work :? :8o

Dan

dojang

Arachnopeon
Catching crickets...

I acutally bought one of those kricket keepers that the Kritter Keeper company makes....They have 2 black plastic pipes that go into the top of the cage and the crickets take up residence in them, then you pull one of the tubes out and the crickets in it are yours to dump into the T's cage....

Not a bad contraption, the smaller one which houses about 20 full size cricktes is like $5, the one that is bigger and holds like 50 or something is like $12...

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
It depends upon how precisely I wish to deliver them!

The female crickets are easy to grab with tweezes--grab 'em by the ovipositor!

If I am rushed, I reach in with my hand (hint, don't have hanging sleeves!)

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Streetfighterz said:
Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this will help you out any, but i bought some crickets from a petstore....Called PetsMarket, and they use a funnel looking thing, i guess that would be kind of pointless unless you are trying to catch a bunch of crickets. Or maybe it would work :? :8o

Dan

You sure it wasn't PetsMart?

At PetCo we are supposed to use a similarly shaped funnel type thing, but I just shake them into the bag off of the egg carton because I am old school.

Streetfighterz

Arachnopeon
Hey,

Hows it going, Shelob, yeah its a place called PetsMarket, i dont know if it is a chain store, or a small local store. I was thinking about the name on the way home, so i drove by and checked and it was petsmarket. I think its pretty dirty, compared to the Petco and PetsMart around there.

Dan :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Snakecharm said:
I was beginning to think I was the only one that did that.

Although I do use a spoon to catch the little ones.
if i have claws i can catch almost any feeder with just my hands. no claws and i have to use a Kricket Keeper tube (or a straw that i scraped the inside of, to increase grip for teh crix) to catch small crickets with out crushing them alittle bit and wasting some of their "juice".

after all, the juice is the good part