Ordering from watersorb.com, have some questions..

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am ordering the 5lb watersorb for my roaches (dubia) but I don't know what granule size to order!

Sizes are-

Powder Powder
Small 0.8-1 mm
Medium 1-2 mm
Large 2-4 mm

What do you guys think?

Also since I ordered the roaches tonight as well (70 of them from blaberus.com) do you think I really need 5 lbs since I don't have a colony going or is 2 lbs enough?

Thanks as always for any info!

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I got my initial order of roaches back in December of 2004, I ordered the crystals & got the 2 pound order.......well......it looks like I will have the stuff for a couple of years. LOLOL You don't need very much & 2 pounds should last you a long time. After you get your colony going, you can then better judge how much you will need when you order again.

Oh yea.......get the large size.....that is what I was told to get & it works great.

Beth

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Beth, saved me $15 and a lot of extra water crystals. 2lbs it is!

:)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, choose "for craft use" along with "large size".

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
1 oz. crystals = 1 gallon cricket gel
This is approximate; I use a bit less than a gallon of water or it is too wet. I then strain off excess water in a colander (sp.?).

That $15 goes a long way! (about 35 gallons)

Cheers,

Michael

PS - I don't really believe providing roaches with water is necessary. If you feed yours well everyday as I do, offering zuchinni, oranges, apples, strawberries, mixed dark greens, bananas, squash, etc. (in addition to my "Bug Power Feed" dry food, the recipe of which can be downloaded by clicking here), supplemental water is not needed. I only use the gel water when I will be away for more than a day or two.

siliconthoughts

Arachnopeon
A little goes a long way

I went to the local garden store and spent $3.50 on a 3 oz bag of water crystals. Whoa - what a ripoff you say. Except that was almost a year ago, I have a 1000 roach colony and at least 2/3 of the bag left. I didn't think buying 30 years supply to save $15 was the right choice for me. Admittedly, I am a cheapskate.

I agree with Michael, they really don't need much water, particularly if you feed them right. Throw in some grapes every couple days and you don't need the crystals. Or carrot. Or lettuce. You get the idea - they eat just about anything so it is easy to offer a variety. I like the crystals for humidity control since I can leave them in and they don't rot, but my roaches (discoidales) don't appear to consume them. When the crystals dry out in the water dish and I just pour water in the dish and let them absorb it. They only get used up when I throw them out after food that sticks to them starts to mold.

Colin