parthenogenetic reproduction

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
CBorn Scolopendra subspinipes (Vanuata)
from 08/2003 on a clutch of eggs, never been in contact with others.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some people told me they can do that b4, but i finally see the evidence today !!!
congrats Steven!!!!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats great to be finally be able to confirm they can lay eggs without mating. it will be interesting to see if they are fertile or not though. it's possible that pedes will lay eggs regardless if they have mated or not, but the female might eat unfertile eggs? Anyway, let us know what happens.

Cheers,

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Allright!

This is exciting news. Please make sure to keep us posted on this batch. If they turn out to be fertile this may be one of the most exciting things I have learned here.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Eggs gone ! :(

well i guess this is only a proof scolopendrids are adult after 2 years,...
still no proof for parthenogenetic repro.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats a real shame. It's going to be a difficult problem to solve. As i said before, i suspect that eggs may get eaten when they aren't fertile, possibly explaining why so many eggs get eaten in captivity. Of course, i cant be sure about this, and until we actually have a "virgin" centipede produce fertile eggs, there is no way of proving anything.

Cheers,

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think it's quite possible that they can reproduce parthenogenetically
think of how subspinipes spp spreaded to pacific islands ,probably started by a single female traveled from a piece of floating bark like some geckos

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
i think it's quite possible that they can reproduce parthenogenetically
think of how subspinipes spp spreaded to pacific islands ,probably started by a single female traveled from a piece of floating bark like some geckos
Thats no proof that it was by parthenogenesis, it could just have easily been gravid females that started the populations.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is there any documented cases of PG among inverts at all? Herps I know of but so far I never heard of a invert. Spiders lay infertile eggsacks without been mated yes, and now the egglaying scolo but thats about it.

/Lelle

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
mmm,... PSG1 ??? (i'm not an expert but are those phasmids not known for their parthenogenetic abilities ???)

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Is there any documented cases of PG among inverts at all? Herps I know of but so far I never heard of a invert. Spiders lay infertile eggsacks without been mated yes, and now the egglaying scolo but thats about it.

/Lelle
Some scorpion species are parthenogenetic.
Tityus, hottentotta, liocheles are some genus exambles, however not all species within a genus are parthenogenetic.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Off the top of my head, i also know that many aphid and true bug species are parthenogenic.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
Some scorpion species are parthenogenetic.
Tityus, hottentotta, liocheles are some genus exambles, however not all species within a genus are parthenogenetic.
And this is cases with a scorpling raised to adulthood and not in contact with others?

/Lelle

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
correct.
There are numerous published papers about this (especialy about Tityus spp.)
some exambles:

LOURENCO W.R. (1991): Parthenogenesis in the scorpion Tityus columbianus (Thorell) (Scorpiones: Buthidae) – Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society 8(9): 274 - 276

LOURENCO W.R. (2000): Reproduction in scorpions, with special reference to parthenogenesis – European Arachnology 2000: 71-85

LOURENCO W.R. & J.L. CLOUDSLEY-THOMPSON (1999): Discovery of a sexual population of Tityus serrulatus, one of the morphs within the complex Tityus stigmurus (Scorpiones: Buthidae) - The Journal of Arachnology 27: 154-158

LOURENCO W.R., CLOUDSLEY-THOMPSON J.L. & O. CUELLAR (2000): A Review of Parthenogenesis in Scorpions with a Description of Postembryonic Development in Tityus metuendus (Scorpiones, Buthidae) from Western Amazonia - Zoologischer Anzeiger 239: 267-276

LOURENCO W.R. & O. CUELLAR (1994): Notes on the geography of parthenogenetic scorpions – Biogeographica 70(1): 19-23

LOURENCO W.R. & O. CUELLAR (1995): Scorpions, scorpionism, life history strategies and parthenogenesis – Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins 1: 51-62

LOURENCO W.R. & O. CUELLAR (1999): A new all female scorpion and the first probable case of arrhenotoky in scorpions - The Journal of Arachnology 27: 149-153

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lots of parthenogenisis among inverts, actually. As Steven mentioned, phasmids are a prime example, nearly all of them can reproduce parthenogenically and some do so exclusively. Brunneria borealis is an exclusively parthenogenic mantid, and other species have been known to occasionally reproduce this way. It's been reported in some millipedes as well. I'd be surprised if there weren't lots of other examples.

I beleive Dave Galban has raised scorpions from birth to adulthood without contact with others and had them reproduce. Not sure which species he was working with however.

Parthenogenesis seems entirely possible with at least some centipdes, but hasn't been conclusively proven AFAIK.

Wade

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
huh?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a phasmid?

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As dan pointed out, the term is parthenogenic, not parthenogenetic or whatever.

You get that in lots of plants and animals, like mosquitoes, bees, oranges, mangos, et. al.

It comes from the Greek word for virgin, and the Parthenon in Greece was named from a praise name from Diana, the Virgin Goddess.

Shapedoctor

Arachnopeon
Crotalus said:

/Lelle

Ants can do it, although when referring to parthenogenesis it might be better to say they don't have to do it.