confused as to what this is

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found this little guy at work running down the hall. Its body is about 1 1/4", with its legs its about 3". Im 43 years old and have never seen one of these, any ideas and what it might eat or anything helpful?

Attachments

PERIKIN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is a Scutigera coleoptrata.they are really fasts,and climb on every kind of material.

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen alot of them at our house.

Never caught any though before I can get somehting to catch them with their gone.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perkin is correct with the scientific name, the common name is "house centipede". I think they're African or Asian in origin, but are now cosmopolitan in distribution. You can find more on them in the myriapod forum.

They are predatory btw, if you want to keep it they seem to prefer high humidity enviroments and will feed on any small insect.

Wade

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another thing you should know is that they stress out easily and their legs fall off pretty quickly. (I learnt that by handling them when I was young :8o )

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
SOOOOOOO jealous!! I've been wanting a few of those forever! I think they are so interesting. If you find more, I'd love to buy them or trade for them.