PDA

View Full Version : Another what is this!

David Richards
07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
This was sold as a male cobalt blue and molted and is for sure a female but that is all I know for sure, anyone know what it is? When you post can you say whether it is a guess or if you know for sure. thanks dave Here is my guess Chinese Black Tiger???

Randolph XX()
07-05-2005, 05:22 PM
looks chilobrachy-ish

ChrisNCT
07-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Def. Chilobrachy sp!

Rick West has a picture of this T on his site under this title:

Chilobrachys sp. [poss. sericeus (Thorell, 1895)], female - NW. Thailand

Crunchie
07-05-2005, 06:10 PM
this picture is totrture considering I have such a weakness for black tarantulas! Whatever she is she is one of the most beautiful I've seen! :clap:

Blasphemy
07-05-2005, 06:14 PM
can you post more pictures of her? that is a beautiful T

GoTerps
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Def. Chilobrachy sp!

Let's not say it's "Def." anything!!!

I'm not making any guesses at all on this thing, or saying it is or isn't a Chilobrachys sp. ... but why do you think it's a Chilobrachys sp.?

It is in a lot of webbing... and does "seem" in that pic to have those nice spinnerets... but not anything to say it's definetly a Chilobrachys sp... or anything to say it's not :)

Dave said:

When you post can you say whether it is a guess or if you know for sure. thanks

Very gorgeous spider you have there!

David Richards
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I appreciate everyones help, and will post more if I can get a better pic. She molted today so she is doing the usual crumple up and hide thing. dave

ChrisNCT
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I know how you feel Cruchie!

This is a very nice looking T! Nice addition!

this picture is totrture considering I have such a weakness for black tarantulas! Whatever she is she is one of the most beautiful I've seen! :clap:

king7
07-05-2005, 07:07 PM
no idea what it is but i want one :D

'a weakness for black tarantulas' just black or dark ones to? i had a red rump that was really dark,now i have a red rump sling. :)

David Richards
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Here is a couple more to figure from. dave

GoTerps
07-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Wow, really a nice looking spider.

Happen to have any pre-molt pictures?

Mistwalker
07-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Looks a lot like this one: http://www.southernspiderworks.com/photogallery/CYPAG-F1.JPG

(picture from southernspiderworks.com)

The one in this picture is a Cyriopagopus paganus, though the markings on the rump of yours are different. Yours is one smooth color. Maybe the same genus?

Pretty spider, anyway.

GoTerps
07-05-2005, 08:11 PM
The one in this picture is a Cyriopagopus paganus, though the markings on the rump of yours are different. Yours is one smooth color. Maybe the same genus?

I'm not going to get into why it's not C. paganus... lots of info on that... if your interested in learning just do a search on this site for that name.

It's not in that genus, and from the pictures I'd say it's not even in the same subfamily as Haplopelma and Cyriopagopus (Ornithoctoninae).

FryLock
07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Id say Chilo to there seems to be a lot of them being sold has sub adult male H.lividum, if you still have the old moult in one piece and cam with good macro or a scope (take pic’s though the eye piece) you could pin it down to subfamily and im sure in this case genus (but little chance of species unless someone with a lot of experence under their belt saw them).

Without that kind of info it just remains lightly a Chilobrachys.sp, but no Ornithoctoninae as Eric has said as there’s no pad’s of setae on the outside of the chelicerae also the long spinneret's point to Chilo and other Selenocosmiinae genra.