Ant Lion Care

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello. I am trying to set up a small ant lion display at the zoo I work at. I was wondering if anyone had some general husbandry for them. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you might try http://www.antlionfarms.com/ for some information.

in my experiance (which isn't alot)

I placed my ant lion in a cup with fine sand ( as they are commonly found in light dusty places) and let him go to work. it's really cool to watch them go at it.
after he made his trap, I dropped a small fire ant in it maybe twice a week. I would think thats probably way plenty, (I mean, how often does an insect fall into these things?) I don't think I ever misted him or anything. since I've always seen them under shelter of rain, I figure they must get their moisture from thier food. In a couple weeks my ant lion dissapeared, so I investigated, and found a small (ant lion sized) ball of sand. another couple weeks and I came upon an insect with wings emerging from the sand. I had no idea they could fly.

I'm now considering doing this again haha. thanks for resparking my intrest in these lil guys. it's fun to dig them out and watch them go under again.

what zoo do you work at? I wish the Birmingham zoo would have cool insect displays.

goodluck. let me know how it goes.