What should I do with 500 Harvester Ants?

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am in a bind. I had ordered 2 Horned Lizards, which eat harvester ants. I ordered 500 of the said ants from a seperate dealer, and when the person I had purchased the horned lizards from couldnt send them, and refunded my money, I am left with an aquarium full of the ants, lol. Any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A possibility, but I just don't like sweets lol

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if it is possible to convert them to a colony, but there was no queen. My experience with ants is nonexistant, is there a way that a queen could emerge from them? I noticed a couple of the winged ants when I opened their container.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Could try putting some winged ants in a seperate enclosure in hopes they will do the nasty and attempt to start a new colony...

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Find some more Horny Toads and get those :D.....!! Theyre too awesome of a lizard not to have one if you have the ants!!
We always catch a few every year and keep em a week or so. Its nice to live where we can catch them.:D

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you look on www.kingsnake.com in the classified section for lizards, you can order some more Horny Toads- There are at least 3 or 4 dealers selling them... I know Marcus Lucas out of Florida (a dealer) was offering alot of them!

Just my idea...

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I checked with MarcmLucas, but it was very pricey...88$ for a pair...(with shipping)

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im not sure if that would work, i dont think I have a queen, and harvester ants arent native to Ky, so I cant dig up a queen, lol. I would love to still get horned lizards, but hey...I might just take orders on some of those chocolate covered ants, lol. :p

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
teach them a new form of government, and see how long they survive.

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahahaha that is too funny, I was plotting to do the same thing with lobster roaches!

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
If you have any large (relative size equal to or larger than the other ants) winged ants , those would be potential queens, the small winged ants are the males. So you can potentially start an ant farm, like arlius said. Growing up in Jersey ever April or so we see the queens take flight to start new colonies.

Though you might not want to be responsible for potentially introducing a non-native ant species which in a few years through their machiavellian plots and superior millitary might become overlords of the kentuckian ant world (unless the are a native species then nevermind)

You could always have hours of fun with a magnifying glass and your ants.