Need advice on raising stick insects from eggs

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I just got some 60-70 eggs from a friend and I know what they like to eat and that once they hatch, but I need some advice on hatching them out. I've no experience with that at all.

Thanks

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've hatched Extatosoma Tiaratum eggs on damp sand in a small plastic tub before, but IMO the ventilation was too poor to encourage the rest of the eggs to hatch. One even went mouldy.

At the moment I'm trying a 1 cm layer of sand in the bottom of a wood-based mesh cage (fabric mesh in a wood frame with a plastic velcro-ed on front), with the eggs spaced out evenly on the sand, misted morning and evening to maintain moisture.

We'll see... ;)

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With that incubator from my previous post I succesfully raised 7 Phasmodea species:Extatosoma tiaratum, Eurycantha calcarata, Aretaon asperrimus, Medauroidea extradentata, Neohirasea maerens, Phaenopharos khaoyaiensis, Lamponius guerrini.
I've never had any problem with mould... you should only keep correct humidity.
Generally 70 - 90% eggs hatched (sometimes I had more than 300 E. tiaratum's). That was wonderfull wiev.

knightjar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you know what species you have?
There are some very different requirements in terms of humidity, temperature and airflow, bearing in mind that phasmids originate from a variety of different climates. Knowing the species would also be useful in knowing what the hatch rate was likely to be. Some species have over 90% success rate, which could turn out to be quite a handful if you suddenly have 70 hungry nymphs...!

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
knightjar said:
Some species have over 90% success rate, which could turn out to be quite a handful if you suddenly have 70 hungry nymphs...!
Yes... especially Extatosoma tiaratum :)
This pic was taken few years ago (with 'analog' camera). It was one of my first macro pictures... so it looks terrible :8o But you can imagine how many nymphs you can have when using this incubator. My record was more than 300 'tiaratums' and I had to frozen their eggs because I had problems with feeding them.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Right now All I have is Indian sticks, Carausius morosus. I know these are apparently very fast hatching/growers as I used the link Dark Raptor provided and more than half had hatched within 24 hours. If they go to crazy on reproduction then I will also have a new source of food for my Ts. I'm ordering some different species like a giant prickly leg from that might take up to 9 months to hatch. If the eggs can be refriderated to prevent hatching without killing them that would also be a good thing as I won't have to have Ts eating sticks all the time though that very possibly could be better than them eating crickets 90% of the time

I also wanted to have some different insect pets that aren't preditory and aren't roaches and I've always been fascinated with these. I have plans on getting 3 other species and likely some leaf insects as well. ...And right now here in TN is a great time to get bramble leaves as all the rasberries and blackberries are ripe, so serves cobbler purposes as well :} :D