Buggin' in Madagascar

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a heads up, tonights episode of "Buggin' with Rudd" takes place in the six-legged Mother Land: Madagascar.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fluid Filter said:
Just a heads up, tonights episode of "Buggin' with Rudd" takes place in the six-legged Mother Land: Madagascar.
Who is Rudd? Is it on the Discovery Channel?

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
Who is Rudd? Is it on the Discovery Channel?
:worship: ruud kleinposte is on the animal planet wednesday's at 8 pm

you can also catch ruud on saturdays, but i have no idea at what time!

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check it out

Buggin With Ruud is a great new show on Animal Planet. It's all about insects. I've cought every episode so far and none have let me down. The host is Ruud Kleinpaste, an entomolgist who has studied insects and wrote books for years. So far the shows cover topics such as local house-dwelling insects in the USA, Giant insects on the island of New Guinea, insects that entertain us such as fireflies glowworms and cicadas, and today was insects of Madagascar. It's on ever Wednesday at 8:00, 11:00, then 3am... so you still have a chance to catch it tonight. :clap:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With kids always stopping me from seeing TV of my choice, I just got lucky and caught a midnight show! It's the first one I've seen of the series. Based on this, I'm definitely going to try to catch it more often. Oh, and I want to go to Madagascar! :drool:

Did you see that spider? The living fossil? Wow! Just wish I could have seen it in action, grabbing a meal with those mega spider jaws...

ScorpZion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awsome

i made sure to watch it was great, the chimps eating another monkey was good aswell on corwin. could i get those bright green pillbugs in the us?

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that's what i was thinkin, and a colony of those ants please :drool: :drool: :drool:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen the green pill millipedes for sale, but I also read on someone's site (D. Vernier maybe?) that enough experienced keepers had tried to keep these and they always died. I will look for the link another time, unless someone beats me to it... I believe he ended up suggesting that noone had the knowledge yet to keep these beautiful creatures alive in captivity, so he questioned if we should be trying anymore.

If you get one knowing that, maybe you'll put extra effort into truly learning about them and how to keep them alive. (And don't believe what the people in the petshop tell you! ;) Of course!) It was a pet shop where I actually saw one for sale. Beautiful creatures! (I didn't get it though.)

Aha! The link was so easy to find:

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/mill.html

"Though very similar in appearance to a woodlouse or pill bug, these are in fact millipedes. These come from the Asian rainforests and have been reported to reach a maximum size when rolled up somewhere between a golf ball and a tennis ball. These do quite well for us in the warmer side of the temperature range in very high humidity. We keep ours in what is basically a compost mixture of soil, leaves, and well rotted wood. We have also introduced several varieties of local fungi to the soil, but these have not been proven to be necessary. There is a lot of confusion as to how to tell a pill bug (wood louse) from a true pill millipede. The easiest method is that the pill millipede has the ability to tucks its head into the 'ball' whereas the pill bug does not. Lately these are becoming more widely available and reasonably priced. However, they remain one of the more challenging species to keep, if not impossible. Central to this may be a need to keep them under cooler conditions. Click Here for a Pill millipede caresheet. Note: since the posting of this care sheet, most of the people apparently successfully keeping this species all experienced massive and complete die offs. We do not recommend this species as long term captives. We cannot in good conscience offer a species for sale when it is apparent to us that the requirements for its care and survival remain unknown. Just our opinion but you might wish to question the wisdom of those who do. The bottom of the caresheet gives an update on the reasons why we feel this way."

Go to the links for pics. Great site to bookmark, anyway.

Last edited:

NiGHTS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're looking for something similar, although a lot smaller, there are the orange colored isopods (pill bugs), that are pretty neat looking. I've heard they do quite well and even breed like cockroaches in captivity. I think Graham (GSC) still has some for sale.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
I've seen the green pill millipedes for sale, but I also read on someone's site (D. Vernier maybe?) that enough experienced keepers had tried to keep these and they always died. I will look for the link another time, unless someone beats me to it... I believe he ended up suggesting that noone had the knowledge yet to keep these beautiful creatures alive in captivity, so he questioned if we should be trying anymore.

If you get one knowing that, maybe you'll put extra effort into truly learning about them and how to keep them alive. (And don't believe what the people in the petshop tell you! ;) Of course!) It was a pet shop where I actually saw one for sale. Beautiful creatures! (I didn't get it though.)

Aha! The link was so easy to find:

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/mill.html

"Though very similar in appearance to a woodlouse or pill bug, these are in fact millipedes. These come from the Asian rainforests and have been reported to reach a maximum size when rolled up somewhere between a golf ball and a tennis ball. These do quite well for us in the warmer side of the temperature range in very high humidity. We keep ours in what is basically a compost mixture of soil, leaves, and well rotted wood. We have also introduced several varieties of local fungi to the soil, but these have not been proven to be necessary. There is a lot of confusion as to how to tell a pill bug (wood louse) from a true pill millipede. The easiest method is that the pill millipede has the ability to tucks its head into the 'ball' whereas the pill bug does not. Lately these are becoming more widely available and reasonably priced. However, they remain one of the more challenging species to keep, if not impossible. Central to this may be a need to keep them under cooler conditions. Click Here for a Pill millipede caresheet. Note: since the posting of this care sheet, most of the people apparently successfully keeping this species all experienced massive and complete die offs. We do not recommend this species as long term captives. We cannot in good conscience offer a species for sale when it is apparent to us that the requirements for its care and survival remain unknown. Just our opinion but you might wish to question the wisdom of those who do. The bottom of the caresheet gives an update on the reasons why we feel this way."

Go to the links for pics. Great site to bookmark, anyway.
Japanese has kept a handful of species alive and bred pretty well by re-establish their "guts fuana" due to introduction of beetle fugi(which are commonly used for most stag beetle larvaes) and been kept in mild temperature
try mushroom farm for the woods and packages they have left for the bedding

Last edited: