Can you identify the 3 headed ant on ebay?

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I won't id that ant but this is very common view (especially heads on legs). During fights they cut off heads of their opponets. This specimen was attacked by two other ants. They catched antennas... and now you see the effect :)

...and remember that picutres are copyrighted, so you shouldn't attache them to your post.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's a carpenter ant like the ebay ad says, these guys are the main focus of my research project, and like DR just said, the extra two heads are just the remains of ants that were on the losing side of a conflict. I've never seen one with two attached heads, but have found ones with one extra head during my research.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I see. I guess I'd better withdraw my bid then ;}

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
It's a carpenter ant like the ebay ad says, these guys are the main focus of my research project, and like DR just said, the extra two heads are just the remains of ants that were on the losing side of a conflict. I've never seen one with two attached heads, but have found ones with one extra head during my research.
A little off from the subject but did you see the new species of ants in Madagascar, the dracula ant and the (i forget the name) other new species that might be the link between ant and wasp?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
A little off from the subject but did you see the new species of ants in Madagascar, the dracula ant and the (i forget the name) other new species that might be the link between ant and wasp?
Not yet...

/typing "dracula ant" into Google :)

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heh, thats interesting.
my first thought was that it would be some form of spider that looks like an ant (i'm not sure what they are called, but I've seen photos) but yea, I think I have seen ants like this.

sucks to be whoever buys it... but it gets me thinking...

(how can I get two ants to bite the antennes of another and while I decapitate them? and then how much can I get for them on ebay?) hahahah

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
I won't id that ant but this is very common view (especially heads on legs). During fights they cut off heads of their opponets. This specimen was attacked by two other ants. They catched antennas... and now you see the effect :)

...and remember that picutres are copyrighted, so you shouldn't attache them to your post.
i don't think it's copywrite infringement if you provide the link and not the actual picture is it? :confused:
@codemonkey: the daracula ant was on "Buggin with Ruud" this past week. it was quite interesting

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Black Hawk said:
i don't think it's copywrite infringement if you provide the link and not the actual picture is it? :confused:
I removed the picture and left the link.

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol, ended at $127 for a freaking ant.... time for me to collect some ants and super glue ;P

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Shapedoctor said:
They're referring to her as a "he".
That's ok, I do that all the time and I should definitely know better :8o

Damn patriarchal societies ;)