Taiwanese giant Wood Roach(Salganea taiwanensis taiwanensis)

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Made in Taiwan explicitily
looks like a dwarf hisser to me...

dwarf hisser

look into the mirror....

compare to surinam...

compare to s six-yr-old

note:
this is a mountain species, males have wings while females don't, and mostly found in mushroom farms
feed on rotten wood, so need to add "beetle fungi" to their woodden diet
they never eat veggies and fish food..
Jordan says:"wooden shoes, wooden heads, wouldn't listen"

photo courtsey by Hant

Last edited:

scavenger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found several of those in Chiang mai province a couple years back... maybe not the same thing but close. They were all encountered in burrows under logs and most had their wings chewed off like the one in your picture.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are great... as every roach specie :)

Hmmm maybe little off-topic but conected with this thread.
Do you have any info about Compsagis species from Africa? I only know that they also live in rotten wood and are social insects. I'm interested especially in C. lesnei.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
They are great... as every roach specie :)

Hmmm maybe little off-topic but conected with this thread.
Do you have any info about Compsagis species from Africa? I only know that they also live in rotten wood and are social insects. I'm interested especially in C. lesnei.
not a clue, but i assumed they would be similar
the main strem of wood-eating insects in Asia is the beetle, wood roaches just get attentioned by beetle collectors when they found them under logs while collecting beetle grubs
Mushroom farmers in Taiwan don't really like them since they eat the bedding..

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
not a clue, but i assumed they would be similar
the main strem of wood-eating insects in Asia is the beetle, wood roaches just get attentioned by beetle collectors when they found them under logs while collecting beetle grubs
Mushroom farmers in Taiwan don't really like them since they eat the bedding..
The same thing is in Europe (except mushroom farms :rolleyes: ). Probably 25 - 35% beetle species are conected with rotten wood (are saproxylic). Only few polish roach species (mostly Ectobius spp.) are living in forests. The rest are synantropic (and not local).

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
however, this species aren't easy to keep in captivity
my friends told me there are even several deaths when they brought them down the mountains, and i suspect they are sensitive to temperature changing, or the organism in their guts do
how about the Euro sps?

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Forest species (like mentioned Ectobius spp.) are also difficult to keep (requiers high humidity and low temperatures), but I was able to breed them.
I've never tried to keep other, invasive species (Periplaneta, Blatta, Blatella) because I live in a flat :rolleyes: My neighbours would kill me if they knew that I keep so many invertebrates in my room {D

I remember that my friend got one wood dwelling roach specie from Africa. But after few months all specimens died without offspring.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Darkraptor:
can u show me the set up and the methods u use for those forest species?
cuz i am planning to breed some forest sps like Rhabdoblatta formosana and Symploce gigas gigas
cheers

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kept them few year ago, so I can't get any picture for you :(

I've kept them in the very similar way as Panchlora nivea - high humidity, large pieces of wood, peat or earth as substrate. Except they need lower temperatures, 18 - 23 C is the best. They are glass-climbers, they breed very slowly and are too small to be good feeders.

In Poland we have only 4 species belonging to that genus, but only two of them are common: Ectobius lapponicus and E. sylvestris.