PDA

View Full Version : The least desireable species...

Pages : 1 [2]

tacoma0680
04-13-2007, 07:30 AM
There is no tarantula that i would mind having everone likes different stuff

xgrafcorex
04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
if you'd have asked me last year, i'd have agreed and said T. blondi or any other brown spider would be my least desireable, but i have since seen the brown light and been converted. i now have a juvenile blondi in my care and i must say how wrong i was. they look stunning after a molt (not brown at all really), they also are pretty rough with the crickets. the only thing i could do without is having to use the lid as a shield to block the cloud the spider kicks up.

i agree with tacoma, theres not really any of them that i would not like to own..but if i had to pick one that would be the last to become a part of my collection, i'd say maybe B. smithi. :o i don't hate them or think they are ugly..i just feel the care/behavior would be the same as say emilia which i think looks much nicer. also the slow growth rate is a bit of a pain sometimes.

as for the most desireable...i guess i'd vote for P. metallica. i figure some of the cause for desire is the fact that they are expensive and i won't be owning one anytime soon. blue is also my favorite color, and on top of that, i think ALL of the Poecilotheria look great.

Goomba
04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Personally I find alot of central American speices boring as hell.

Venom
04-13-2007, 05:53 PM
G.rosea bores me, for reasons of appearance and behaviour. I'd personally much prefer a pet-hole Haplo or Selenocosmia--at least they are exciting when above ground, plus graceful, beautiful etc.

I have at least some interest in nearly any other T, NW and OW, except some of the plain-looking, desert Aphonopelmas.

JakeLeg
04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I tend not to care for any T that doesn't have a lot of hair. If they aren't furry... no thanks.

Kagekumo
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM
It is my ultimate plan as a new hobbyist to own at one time or another one from each genus, and any that have particlularily remarkable qualities (aesthetic or otherwise).

I currently own P. regalis, P. irminia, and G. aureostriata

But the spiders I am least inclined to add to my collection are the ones with drab brown coloration and little patterning. I do, however, like G. rosea, I got a good look at an adult at a pet shop last week and noticed that the prosoma had a metallic red cast to it. It's very subtle, but it surprised me; so I want one.

P.S. the G. rosea I mentioned above has a decent population of small flies in her ecnlosure. Are these flies going to adversely effect the health of the T? Would it be a bad idea to buy it due to these flies?

Nitibus
04-25-2007, 03:16 PM
P.S. the G. rosea I mentioned above has a decent population of small flies in her ecnlosure. Are these flies going to adversely effect the health of the T? Would it be a bad idea to buy it due to these flies?

Depends on the flys : Fungus Gnat's are no problem, Phorid Flys on the other hand can kill a T.

Kagekumo
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Depends on the flys : Fungus Gnat's are no problem, Phorid Flys on the other hand can kill a T.

is there an easy way to tell without a pic?

Gigas
04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Fungus gnats are small and black, Phorids are yellow have red eyes and often walk rather than fly.

midianholic
05-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Don't like T's that are over hairy or dark/dull in colouration.

Love the Pokies and the African baboons.

robbie
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I would have to say that i love all of my T.s but if I had to choose one that I would not mind giving up I would have to say it would be my Cyclosternum fasciatum. This is not to say that I dispise them they are just not my favorite.

Calucifer
08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi there. Newbie from Argentina here. Thanks to a friend I've made in university, i'm ( finally, since i'm studing Zoology ) entering the exotic """""pets"""" owners world.
I own a Gekko gecko, and i'm going to start with arthropods. My friend here is going to gift me a G.rosea spiderling, and I hope, from now on, I can adquiere scorpions and centipides.
But, hey, I've been reading so many posts talking SO bad about rosea i'm feeling discouraged!!
Is this spider SOOOOOOO bad after all??
Please be honest with me. I totally qualify as a Noob.

Thx, and sorry about my english.

jeff1962
08-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Calucifer,there is nothing at all wrong with Rosea, I have two,both of which are out all the time.One a (huge female ) is not very active.The other one however , is very amusing always digging and exploring,snatches criks like it never gets fed.The neat thing about them is you never know what you are going to get behavior wise. Don't let anyone here make you feel discouraged !

robbie
08-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi there. Newbie from Argentina here. Thanks to a friend I've made in university, i'm ( finally, since i'm studing Zoology ) entering the exotic """""pets"""" owners world.
I own a Gekko gecko, and i'm going to start with arthropods. My friend here is going to gift me a G.rosea spiderling, and I hope, from now on, I can adquiere scorpions and centipides.
But, hey, I've been reading so many posts talking SO bad about rosea i'm feeling discouraged!!
Is this spider SOOOOOOO bad after all??
Please be honest with me. I totally qualify as a Noob.

Thx, and sorry about my english.

Don't worry about the other post in this thread they are all peoples opinions. I would suggest if you get the chance try and see if you can get to either handle or observe a G. rosea and decide for yourself. I just love mine to death (and yes it was my first T also) she is always out and quite easy to handle. You must also consider it will be a free T. and a great one to start with.

All T's are pretty and awesome imo. :D

Aragorn
08-28-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't like most of the old world species. They are just too short lived and not handlable. A lot of the new world species are much more coloraful and have very good desposition.

Selenops
08-29-2007, 03:04 AM
I think the reason people look down on the Rosey is maybe it is too common, there is not a petstore here in Southern Cal without one. But two things a Rosey is not and that is a pet rock neither a pet hole.

What species I don't care for? Hmm, H. lividum, maybe, yes, it is beautiful but I love every other Haplopelma ever offered yet even more.

dragonblade71
08-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Without naming any particular species or genus, I must say that I am not too fond of tarantulas with skinny legs. I don't have anything against skinny legged spiders in general but when it comes to tarantulas, I prefer more of a bulky appearance.

Apart from that, I also prefer tarantulas that are out and about much of the time rather than hidden away in their burrow. I think that part of the enjoyment of having a pet, at least in my option, is observing it.

ImTheDaddy
08-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Im not a big fan of (Cyclosternum fasciatum) Costa Rican Tiger Rump. I Love the red and black markings on the abdomen but to me they look more like a true spider rather than a tarantula...

ITD

Kevmaster06
02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I really dont like king baboons. although i love borrowers and i like the coloring of th baboon, im afraid it will like jump up and bite my throat. some crazy phobia of mine. but i cant see why there are so many against the Rose Hair. Mine is as aggressive as my friends Cobalt blue. it trys to bite me all the time and it is a regular sport to throw hairs as i feed him...;)

Arborealis
02-10-2008, 02:49 AM
I don't think I'd ever own a T. blondi. I just don't think I'd want an oversized, itchy, brown tarantula that thinks my hand is food.

I had a mild aversion to the Chilean rose when I first entered the hobby. That is until I got this little fuzzball. This is Chile-pepper. The photos really don't do justice. The bristles have a strawberry-blondish tinge, which has a nice contrast to the darker brown underneath and the carapace is almost a dark mauve color. I bought this little beauty for $16. Can't beat that. Plus Chile-pepper's a sweetie
(don't handle her much 'cause she's a little on the shy side)

NevularScorpion
02-10-2008, 04:52 AM
For those people that hates curly hairs i have some cool photos to convinced you that they are one of the most coolest T :)

they are fat and squishy looking :drool:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/TheWomanizer/Picture033.jpg
they are communual until they get hungry :) :liar:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/TheWomanizer/Picture038-1.jpg
they are pokable :D
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/TheWomanizer/Picture037-1.jpg
most of all good for convicing hot girls that tarantulas are cool and friendly :cool:

on the other hand the list T that i dont want in my collection is the M balfouri
because they are so expensive and i think that they dont deserve that value in the market. also why should i spend a large amount of money to get one T if i can use the money to buy many different Ts from it :) so for now that is the list T that i want because the price do not go with its attributes

ChainsawMonkey
02-10-2008, 12:13 PM
My H. minax scares the hell out of me, it bites at shadows when the pass the cage! I hate to admit it but she knows who's boss.(And I'm not it) :(

AzJohn
02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I'd say any of the ultra rare tarantulas. These should go to people who can breed them.

jbrd
02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
For those people that hates curly hairs i have some cool photos to convinced you that they are one of the most coolest T :)

most of all good for convicing hot girls that tarantulas are cool and friendly :cool:

on the other hand the list T that i dont want in my collection is the M balfouri
because they are so expensive and i think that they dont deserve that value in the market. also why should i spend a large amount of money to get one T if i can use the money to buy many different Ts from it :) so for now that is the list T that i want because the price do not go with its attributes

Can you share more on your communal set up there? I did not know the B.albopilosum could be kept together like this? :?
How long have you had them set up like that?
The devil is in the details. Please fill me in.

Aarantula
02-10-2008, 01:52 PM
That communal set up of all those curlys is AWESOME!!! With them like that your also prob guaranteed a sac every few months!!! Lol!

Anyway... my least interesting T has got to be my Rosea.

And it's because I tend to thing of my Rosea as a Mustang... everybody's got one!!!

:cool:

SNAFU
02-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I really can't say any certain T I wouldn't like to own....but i'm pretty materialistic my wife says & I kinda want'em all. Yes- even a big, ugly brown T. Blondi, itchy hairs and all! ;P
I turned down a A. Seemani a few weeks ago 'cause I thought it was just too plain & brown, hardly any stripes could be seen on the legs at all. Then I went out and bought one on Friday almost as plain-(see my post titled "Yeah, she's ugly), impulse shopper thats me.
So, if you have an old hooked out male missing a few legs and with a huge ugly bald spot, and I have'nt bought a T lately__look me up and mark him SOLD.;)

Steveyruss
02-10-2008, 07:38 PM
H Lividum ... the only spider I regret wasting my money on, incredibly nasty, incredibly fast and I never see it.
King Baboon ... I can't see the appeal. I even prefer the Gigas.
P. Metallica.... expensive, overrated
B Smithi ... starter species??? All the ones I've come across were some of the worst kickers
Curly.... ugly and uninteresting

I'm not overly keen on most OW species, they don't kick hairs but I find them nervous and fast, they also generally don't seem to live as long.

Many people seem to dislike Rosies simply because they are a symbol of the unadvanced. They are good spiders, very gentle and beautiful in their own way.

clearlysaid
02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I have learned my least fave species is the C spp Blue. I dunno why but this species just does nothing for me.

ShadowBlade
02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Can you share more on your communal set up there? I did not know the B.albopilosum could be kept together like this? :?
How long have you had them set up like that?
The devil is in the details. Please fill me in.

Simple, keep most any species fat enough that it won't eat another one... and big enough that another one can't manage to eat it... for a time. :rolleyes:

This is an example of the 'fishtank' mentality. You can keep them together, they'll eat, run around nervous, won't burrow, and one may occasionally go missing.. but heck, they must be communal. :cool:

-Sean

fartkowski
02-11-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't really have a least desireable species.
I love all tarantula's. I have a few I find more facinating than others but there is no T I would not want in my collection.

Spike
02-11-2008, 02:51 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: How?? This is... awesome! How long have you had them together? Sac mates by chance?

ShadowBlade
02-11-2008, 02:59 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: How?? This is... awesome! How long have you had them together? Sac mates by chance?

See above post.

-Sean

Truff135
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Not to be mean, but if that "communal" is what they are kept in all the time, I think it's terrible. They have one cup for a hide, no visible water, hardly any room to avoid each other. I just can't imagine that that is a stress-free set up for them, regardless of how well they're fed. Yes, some tarantulas seem to do well in small spaces like a burrow, but that's by their choice. That set up just looks...wrong. :(

Tarangela
02-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I love all T's :)

I have at least 4 rose hairs, and I think they are beautiful...never seen an ugly spider {D

So I can't really comment on this thread in particular...

I do agree w/ Truff135 though...I don't think spiders were meant to be communal, and should have their own set ups. I am sure that is stressing and nerve wracking for them...they can never get to calm down to "idle mode".

Neat idea, but not fair to them....everyone and everything needs space...

Kris-wIth-a-K
02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I got a g. reseo Saturday. She is actually quite beautiful. Not grungy looking like others Ive seen. She is very active. Always walking around checking things out, webbed all over the peat moss hangs out on the cork bark and sits their for an hour or so then just goes and walks around more.

RottweilExpress
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Agreed with Shadow and truff.

Anyhoo, I've written something earlier in this thread but I don't remember what, so I'll mention the most boring T I have, a subadult male A. Fracta (or supposed at least). He is the most boring thing hands down.

In fact, I'm thinking about giving him away for free or for shipping costs.

Euronymous
05-29-2008, 01:02 AM
All Wc, unless nesseccary for cabtive breeding purposes

Zoltan
05-29-2008, 03:03 AM
Well, I would not label any T "as non desireable". But! I think there are some T's that should not be so common in the hobby and available to anyone, particularly beginners. Like P. murinus for example, and some very aggressive OW species. I've heard some rumours, that at some pet stores P. murinus is sold as a calm, and docile species. Well, we all know that's bullsheet. Umm... I think I'm turning this thread to "The least desirable pet stores", so I'm just gonna shut up. :)

JimPP
05-29-2008, 04:55 AM
All Poecilotheria - they just dont do it for me... wich on some level is good since unlike my friends, I dont feel the need to pay a gazillion for a P. metallica :)

Ram!
05-29-2008, 05:55 AM
Burrowing species. I hate when my Tarantulas burrow, it's just too boring..

Zeus9699
05-29-2008, 07:38 AM
There are no tarantulas that I wouldn't want in my collection!!!!!!

I am fascinated by them all

hairmetalspider
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
There are no tarantulas that I wouldn't want in my collection!!!!!!

I am fascinated by them all

Agreed.

I find it somewhat amusing all the people who dislike Roseas...it kind of seems, by comparison, along the same lines as someone simply not liking a band because they became famous.

Moltar
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
The entire haplopelma genus. I am SO OVER those dank, diggy hermits. I just had another mold outbreak in two of my haplo tanks and it's driving me nuts! Btw, before somebody says "use isopods/springtails" this mold is way down inside the substrate and not related to any dead prey items or poop or whatever. this is (i assume) mildew gone out of control. If i'm digging up three adult haplopelma's again i'm digging them up and selling them, not rehousing them.

Then I'll buy some dwarf aphonopelmas to take their place.

Lucara
05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I suppose the Australian whistling tarantulas. They hold zero interest with me.

spiders4life
05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Grammostola rosea realy dosnt do anything for me, they are just to ordinairy, their coloration are booring (yes i find the redform booring aswell).
The only reason i have got one is becauce of my girlfriend, its hers, so i cant give it away to someone :wall:

Other spiders i dont want:
Nhandu coloratovilosus (just a wannabe Acanthoscurria geniculata:rolleyes: )
Aphonopelma seemani (just booooring, and ordinairy)
Haplopelma spp (never see them, too small, but at least they got some attitude)
Pterinocilus spp (too ordinairy)

No give me Theraphosa, Xenesthis, Pamphobetus, Brachypelma, Poecilotheria, and true spiders instead:worship:
Regards Mikael

Spiderface
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Least desirable to me is probably T. blondi. I'm pretty allergic to my B. smithi, I can't imagine how badly blondi hairs would tear me up. Also... big brown spider, so not interesting.

On the other hand, I love both my rosehairs and all of my evil pet holes. I'm weird. ;P

I used to be of the same opinion when it came to T blondi until I gave one a chance and now I am an admirer of the species. It's haplos that I am not fond of.

Rochelle
06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
more dumpster diving? How old is this thread, anyway??????
Next subject.
Please.????

hairmetalspider
06-22-2008, 07:52 PM
more dumpster diving? How old is this thread, anyway??????
Next subject.
Please.????

Lol. I appreciate you.

ThomasH
06-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Australians are ugly! Avicularias make the most disgusting webs and aren't the best eaters. Actually I don't like many new worlds. The only new worlds that I'd think are worth buying are some Brachypelmas, N. chromatus, Theraphosas and P. irminia.

BC Starr
08-05-2008, 05:01 AM
The sunburst i had was so aggressive and predictably reactionary it started to bore me. It spent too much energy on its back biting at the air with no provocation and it wasn't even a good aim when it came to feeding time. That was my experience.

May she rest in peace,

BC Starr

Kamikaze
08-05-2008, 05:19 AM
I don't really think that theres a tarantula thats "least desirable"...
Another mans trash is another mans treasure.
:)

For me, I don't like Haplopelma sp. specifically H. lividum.
I heard too many stories about this infamous T.
:eek:

ThomasH
08-05-2008, 07:57 AM
The sunburst i had was so aggressive and predictably reactionary it started to bore me. It spent too much energy on its back biting at the air with no provocation and it wasn't even a good aim when it came to feeding time. That was my experience.

May she rest in peace,

BC Starr
So................ Let her bite you! That could be a little entertaining.:wicked:
TBH

Tarantula_man94
08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Ive yet to come across a species that doesn't appeal 2 me!!!!!!:D

reverendsterlin
08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll jump into this graveyard with not seeing the rosie as having any appeal. too common and 'another brown T', I cringe every time I see this T suggested for a newbie, just what everybody needs a boring brown pet rock that will live for 30 years. Jeez these graveyard posts are turning up so often, guess it's a sign that our membership is growing lol
Rev

ThistleWind
08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Any species native to North America.

dj_flip03
08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I just got an A.Seemani. What's wrong with them? They seem to be pretty good species. How come I'm seeing quite a number of feedbacks against them?

What do you guys think on the Ceratogyrus Marshalli??? I'll be getting one soon. I got a specially designed enclosure for this burrowing species. {D

GForce14063
08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
There has been lots of talk about spiecies folks want to have/own. But what species would you NOT want to have just because they have some attribute you don't like? (Just name the bottom one, to make it simpler. Because obviously one can't have EVEYR T on the planet and will thus have to prioritize when buying T's)

Iv'e heard of people selling their blondi's because they got sprayed far too often and had a very hard time with it. That would be one kind of an example of a motivation.

My own is this (and it might come as a little shock to you folks, and I can understnad it):
At this point in time I'd NOT want to have a Nhandu chromatus. It just looks too spooky! I find it extremely ugly in one way, extremely intreaguing and fascinating in another though! That bright carpace is just freaking me out and I don't know why! For some reason I feel an internal shiver when I look at that T. But sure as "down below" I'll have to have one in time :D ... again: "in time!" For now though the freaky factor has me completely in it's grip. ;)

They have medication for that now. LOL

ThistleWind
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I just got an A.Seemani. What's wrong with them? They seem to be pretty good species. How come I'm seeing quite a number of feedbacks against them?

What do you guys think on the Ceratogyrus Marshalli??? I'll be getting one soon. I got a specially designed enclosure for this burrowing species. {D

I've had an A. seemanni for a month now and I never see it. I have to get up at 2 A.M. just to get a glimpse! Although they are quite cool looking. :) Not particularly good eaters. Mine will let the prey touch it and touch it and will wait a good couple minutes before acknowledging that it's feeding time. She's really skittish, too.

dannax
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of the larger species. I do however, want a C. Crawshayi just to have. T. Blondi's seem to kick a bit much and I'm changing my mind. Not only that, but the room they take up with the larger setups.

As for the Rosea, I like mine. She gets a bit wild at times and the surprise from being slapped is enough for me to like her! Luckily, most of my burrowers have burrowed along the side of their enclosures and do frequent the outside at night which is my most active time so I'm able to see them too.

Rick McJimsey
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
I know this is going to sound crazy, but Avicularia and Poecilotheria species dont interest me at all, i didnt really like them.

Vanisher
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
For me personally i must say some Grammostola sp. (not rosea though, i like em! best looking Grammostola!, and my first T)
/Johan

Vanisher
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM

Beutiful, and intresting genus that Ceratogyrus! /Johan

dunawayj
08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I would have to say G rosea. BOOOOORING!!!!! I would trade it off in a second but it is one of the only ones the wife likes. What can you do, she tolerates my obsession so i guess i can throw her a bone there.

Vanisher
08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I would have to say G rosea. BOOOOORING!!!!! I would trade it off in a second but it is one of the only ones the wife likes. What can you do, she tolerates my obsession so i guess i can throw her a bone there.

Hehe you should do that! I know G roseas are a petrock, but many T:s are! I think their good looks goes a long way! /Johan

tarantulasperu
08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I had a unknown species from Ecuador. It seldom ate and when it molted you hardly noticed it was growing. And on top of that, it was really ugly. Very elongated abdomen. Not my kind of tarantula thats for sure, but it would be interesting to know what genus and species it was.

/Lelle

did it look like this http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=9671&catid=member&imageuser=17368

presurcukr
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I've yet to discover a tarantula I wouldn't want in my collection. :)

must agree I want them all !!!!!:cool:

Shrike
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
This is completely a matter of perspective...in many ways I think G. rosea may be the MOST desireable tarantula, due to ease of care, expense, temperament, etc. Of course, I'm a bit biased, since my only T is a female G. rosea. I think this species has a subtle beauty that makes it just as desirable as many other species. Just my opinion.

Singbluemymind
09-04-2008, 01:52 PM
i think that the brachys are overrated. i can see how some people would like them but i just don't get into them. also i'm not a big OBT fan either

bluefrogtat2
09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
i hate obt's...wouldn't take them for free
andy

calum
09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
haplopelma lividum.

agressive, stunning, but you see it like twice a year if your lucky.

me no like.

bliss
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
though i love the appearance and size of them...

i have to admit that T blondi and T apophysis are my least favs.

that hair is just too damn much! :evil:

--dan--

ShellsandScales
09-04-2008, 05:48 PM

I second that!!!

Arachnosold1er
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Oklahoma brown. They are just lame.

mouse
09-04-2008, 06:08 PM
i'd say the pet holes (i do like the pet rocks tho:D )
right now all i would want are grammastolas (i want a rosie again so bad i can't see straight), aphonapelmas and brachypelmas and maby an a.avic and a.versi and a p.cambridgi (maby its relatve p.irminia?)
the other i don't care for owning (unless somebody in my town has one and wants to get rid of it).
oh, the a.genic is ok.
i'm into the non defensive.

gvfarns
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
T blondi. So ugly and worn down looking and such unpleasant hair!

blazetown
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
haplopelma lividum.

agressive, stunning, but you see it like twice a year if your lucky.

me no like.

Yeah thats true mines pretty but boring

clam1991
09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
i dont care much for aboreals
they're fast and nervous
i do however have pinktoes
which are ok but they can be quick
and i do not like old world spiders
fast and bad venom makes my pants all soggy:8o

bliss
09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
fast and bad venom makes my pants all soggy:8o

bwahahaha!!!

:wicked:

--dan--

dtknow
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I was with Cirith on chromatus being spooky at first. After getting my own I change my mind. She's beautiful! I might want to get a geniculata to compare but while geniculata are real nice looking it is hard to beat the leg striping, silvery carapace, and the red hairs on the chromatus combo.

I've found her to be average in regards to reclusiveness. She does hide every once in a while like all T's but poses no issues as far as seeing and enjoying her is concerned.

HcUnderoath
09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
i dislike small t's, extreme burrowers, and extremely docile t's and do not own any at the moment and dont plan on owning any more.

i like large, active, semi aggressive-very aggressive and t's that dont burrow much like n. chromatus. L. parahybana my favorites so far next on my wish list would be n. colloratvillosum,

i think the reason why ppl dislike rose's are that they have been owned by just about every T owner which makes them higher in odds to be disliked.

bamato
09-15-2008, 04:33 PM
There are tons of votes for H. Lividiums cause they are pet holes. I guess I got lucky, mine comes outalmost nightly for a stroll in the moonlight :) I love my OBT's too :)

One I don't like however and am not looking forward to getting is definately a T. Blondi. My wife is really into them. So much that she made me build an enclosure for one already :( I don't like the brown velvet look and the bald spots. Nor do I like the urticating hairs in my nostrils or on my skin... We plan on picking out a big female at the Tucson reptile show... boo....

equuskat
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I am not a big fan of Haplopelmas at all. I don't, in general, like African species, either. I have a slightly soft spot for P. murinus, but mostly I'm a fan of Brachys, Aphonos, and Grammostolas. I DO like Poecilotheria quite a bit more than I thought I would though...for being an OW genus.

Rydog
09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
paraphysa and thrixopelma just dont do it for me, i see pictures of them a lot and I really did want to like them its just they seem so old and beat up all the time.

Nightshade
09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I must start by saying, I adore my 2 roses. They're not very rambunctious but I still get to watch them feed and waltz and spin more than I imagine I could see with a burrowing species. It's true their coloring is more subtle than the brighter Ts out there, but I still find them beautiful. I was actually going to name Asmodeus Dusty Rose when I got him becasue that's exactly what the spot on his back looks like. Being fairly new to the hobby, I don't have anything to compare them to, but still, I adore my roses!
Furthermore, concerning attitude, spiders are in no way predictable! As I've stated before in other threads, Desiderius, my older rose has never bitten me and only once struck a threat pose for me. When my brother first got her he handled her regularly without incident, then one day she unexpectedly sank her fangs repeatedly into his hand and wrist. Maybe sank is a bit over the top because he didn't bleed and swell like some of the rose bites I've read about, but she still bit him out of nowhere!
Perhaps this is unfair to Desiderius since I wasn't there and only have my brother's word to go on. Maybe he blew on her accidentally.
However, I read that a tarantula's temperment can be drastically changed after a molt, and if that's true then all species are equally unpredictable, no?
The T that's least desirable for me right now I have to say would be T. blondi. Don't get me wrong though, the little that I've read about them is enough to tell a newbie like me to stay far far away for a couple of years! Someday when I have the experience to care for a spider of that size and those habitat requirements maybe I would invest in one. I would love to have a spider that could fill out a dinner plate, I just don't trust myself yet lol.

{D :8o {D
Lol, I was such a long winded pretentious sounding newbie. (It wasn't on purpose I swear!) I'm glad I took up journaling again, so now every post I make isn't like a novel.

I DID get myself a T. blondi, I will probably never get another one because I hate the hairs on him!

He's a beautiful big brown spider ;P and I love watching him, but I never want to own another one although I may be very tempted if he has children.

I use extreme caution when I'm changing out his water dish and rehousing him, but inevitably there's that one stray bristle that digs it's way into the center of my palm and drives me CRAZY!!!

I don't know how those of you who handle these spiders can do it. I would be peeling my skin off layer by layer to try and get the hairs out.

So, 2 years and some odd months later, Theraphosa species are now on my 'least desireable' list, just because of the physical discomfort their care can cause, no matter how careful I try to be about it!

But of course, when I'm bringing my boy Blondi to his future girlfriend, I will probably cry like a big sissy.

crpy
09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
B. smithi, hands down, they tear me up:mad: lol

EightLeggedFrea
09-16-2008, 12:39 AM
I personally do not like very slow-growing species, which is I don't buy things like Aphonopelma etc as small slings because I don't to wait an eternity for them to grow even 1+." I will, however, buy them as adults or large juveniles. But that's just me.

Paulie B
09-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Lol, I was such a long winded pretentious sounding newbie. (It wasn't on purpose I swear!) I'm glad I took up journaling again, so now every post I make isn't like a novel.

I DID get myself a T. blondi, I will probably never get another one because I hate the hairs on him!

He's a beautiful big brown spider ;P and I love watching him, but I never want to own another one although I may be very tempted if he has children.

I use extreme caution when I'm changing out his water dish and rehousing him, but inevitably there's that one stray bristle that digs it's way into the center of my palm and drives me CRAZY!!!

I don't know how those of you who handle these spiders can do it. I would be peeling my skin off layer by layer to try and get the hairs out.

So, 2 years and some odd months later, Theraphosa species are now on my 'least desireable' list, just because of the physical discomfort their care can cause, no matter how careful I try to be about it!

But of course, when I'm bringing my boy Blondi to his future girlfriend, I will probably cry like a big sissy.

Is T Blondi hairs really that bad? or is it ibndividual dependant (the human that is)

Paulie B
09-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Is T Blondi hairs really that bad? or is it individual dependant (the human that is)

Godzirra
09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
At this point, i don't have any desire for a blondi, a Oklahoma Brown, Curly Hair or any more G-Rosea's.

starmaiden
10-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I personally do not like very slow-growing species, which is I don't buy things like Aphonopelma etc as small slings because I don't to wait an eternity for them to grow even 1+." I will, however, buy them as adults or large juveniles. But that's just me.
Oh Lord! I hear you there! I have some rosie slings that are taking forever! :wall:

I'm somewhat a noob compared to many of you, so don't have the wide range of experience you all have in regards to different species. I currently have all NWers. (A. seemanni, B. albopilosum, G. aureostriata, G. rosea, N. chromatus, N. coloratovillosus, C. cyaneopubescens, A. versicolor) Of those, I think the Rosies are my least fave just because they grow soooo slowly. I got them as CB slings about a year and a half ago and they are just barely 3/4 inch now.

Scolopendra777
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
He... he... he... I WILL HAVE ALL TARANTULAS :)

DDaake
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
There not bad and I especially like the webbing they do and versicolors because of there color. But to have an avic that is not so great looking and makes a terrible mess....not a very personally hygenic T to keep. But hey maybe in the wild it is much more efficient to crap on the neighbors tree. SQUIRTERS are EVIL:evil:

bio teacher
10-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Not a big fan of Pokies. I don't like their leginess. I am more into Aphonopelma's and Brachy's. I like their stout, robust appearance.

DDaake
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Not a big fan of Pokies. I don't like their leginess. I am more into Aphonopelma's and Brachy's. I like their stout, robust appearance.

you like your women with a little meat eh? lol Sorry couldn't resist.

blazetown
10-03-2008, 12:01 AM
lol noice.......I dont curlyhairs either too boring...there are several species out there that are very boring to me....like my lividum most of the time

Diggy415
10-03-2008, 12:21 AM
ive just read through the first page only and G rosea is the villian. I have a genuine fear of spiders T's or true, i came upon this site and others and the stories they told, a rosea is the first common and tamest one i thought to handle... there i was all prepared and ready for the T's did my research and thought about what i wanted. Pretty, webbers, calm when holding. A rosea wasn't in my list, too boring and blahhhh. I live in Nrthn calif, i have a simular one i can get, so i ordered 13 others Terrestrial to Aboreals, and love them all, laugh at my trap door(attack bucket) as i was setteling down a g rosea arrived at my door and was claimed to be found out in the desert near here....WRONG!! none the less the one i would not fear to hold and sure enough pictures to prove it. Others i fear to hold, playing it safe the chaco gold knee literally jumps at tongs holding a pinkie or a praying mantis followed by the red knee. All are growing nicely and one remains at 1/2" and thank goodness i have a new generation of crickets to help it out. I also have plenty of fly larva to boot. In the end the G rosea is the only one ill hold and show to others without fear and thanks to all of you for your stories to inspire me, however the egg laying video, ahhhh no, ill pass, too many babies im afraid but none the less alot of inspiring pictures and videos to keep this hobby alive, thnks all. thnks all to a G rosea!!!!!!

spartybassoon
10-03-2008, 12:22 AM
The one that everybody else wants.

Strix
10-03-2008, 05:00 AM
I can't really say there is a least desireable species for me. I really like all the T's and watching them web, sit there like a rock, or whatever they do.

Well, I guess I can say the more expensive ones, but that isn't undiserable just undoable right now because I don't have the money... that and I'm running out of space until I clean up and move downstairs (2 story house) ;P

Paulie B
10-17-2008, 07:41 AM
I'd miss my killer clowns terribly. ;)

Not wanting to take from the subject guys but if ANYONE knows where I get a GBB in Europe pleeeze let me know. I am gagging for one of these babies !!

Dislikes for me is the Haplo's. I do have 1 that I bought without fully understanding the genus. I will contiue to feed it but once it's gone that is the Haplo end for me.

Drachenjager
10-18-2008, 01:24 PM
B. kinky hair. I dont like the pubes on them things lol

testdasi
10-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Definitely Haplo. Why keep a pet hole?

mikie
11-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Just don't like it....too big....lol

Paulie B
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
At the end of the day folks, if you had the room, had the time, had the money to buy and feed them all, you would love them all.

I would

codykrr
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
amen to that! if i had the money id own 2 of every species known to exsist(m and f of course) then id go lookin for new ones that hadnt been discovered. :D

IRON-BRU
02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Lasiodora parahybana gets my vote... too angry, to big and waaaaaaaay to fast... really pretty though... maybe i just got the one who'd chase you around the house gnawing the skin off the back of your feet as you run away screaming in terror and agony(true story)...

I love my T... But its put me off them forever...

New best spider ever? B Boehmei

ZergFront
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Haplopelmas. Sorry to others that like them but I like to see my arachnids at least once in a while(makes me panic less during times of premolt-molt). If I ever change my mind, it's going to have to be saved for way later and I'd get multiple so maybe I'd catch one out sometimes.

I used to not like T.blondi or roseas but I am finding things I like about them. It's the itch that I'd be concerned with. A really big spider actually sounds intriguing.

jbm150
02-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I'd say Haplos as well. They're awesome looking, especially albostriatum, but not being able to see them is a big turn off. I have to see something at least every few days or so. Otherwise I don't know if they're dead and rotting.

Not a real big fan of avics as well. They're adorable but I dunno, I like my arboreals with a little attitude

brian abrams
02-16-2010, 10:41 PM
T Apophysis (T Blondi) because of the size & HAIR! And at the opposite end of the spectrum, something like Stromatopelma Calceatum, because of the extreme speed, aggressiveness & potent venom. Extreme agony & a trip to the ER doesn't appeal to me!

Sky`Scorcher
02-17-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't like dwarf species. I like them big and gorgeous. I don't have problems with the NW or OW

I don't make it a problem if I don't see my Lividum for months as long as I hear that crunch every time I drop a roach in her hole. I don't make it a necessity to see my T's out in the open. Actually I like burrowers like my crawshayi's. They make awesome tunnel networks.

A specie I don't find appealing is the A.Avic. I don't know why though. I mean, almost everyone in the hobby would love to have one or even a dozen of the same specie but I haven't had the desire to have one because I've heard stories of S.A.D.S. from other keepers.

I particularly like T's that grow old with me :)

Brachys,Grammos,Aphonos. I see them as life companions :rolleyes:

and the get big really fast kind are always a yes to me.

violentblossom
02-19-2010, 02:31 AM
I agree with dwarfs.

I like my spiders prodigious and sexy. :cool:

james.m
02-19-2010, 03:07 AM
Blast from the past on the post huh.....
Ill go with haplos also.

kucouyf
02-19-2010, 03:11 AM
G. Rosea

sorry, I just don't care much for them..boring little T's...:wall:

Blackbeard
02-19-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't like G.rosea. They are boring and should be culled from the hobby.;)

I do like N.chromatus.

And so many others who dislike rosea's. :(
Believe it or not but my G. rosea is the most fun T I own at the moment.
It's always out in the open.
I often see it stalking it's enclosure.
It's very responsive to anything going on in and around it's enclosure and i've had some had some good scares when it suddenly came galopping to it's water bowl while I was replacing it.
It often redecorates it's enclosure and does a fair amount of webbing, digging or lugging clumps of substrate around with it's palps.
It conveniently piles cricket remains near the enclosure door.
It's a destroyer of crickets and it pounces on food within 30 seconds of it being introduced without fail of diging the cricket out from under the piece of root in it's tank.

I only spot me N. chromatus about once a month but it teleports back into it's lair when I try to get a closer look.

Goes to show how characters can differ within each species. :D

To answer the question.
I think all T's are awesome and not every species that is reputably a pet rock is so perse (but there is ofcourse the risk when acquiring one).
The species that would be undesirable to me at the moment are the extremely defensive / fast species because I want some more experience with the species I own at the moment.

Blackbeard
02-19-2010, 04:20 AM
I can relate. It wasn't that they were too sinister, but that I thought they were too garish at first (I still draw the line at C. cyaneopubescens - when mine died I wasn't crying in my beer, GBBS are like a badly dressed clown ;))
Badly dressed clown?
Thank you for the inspiration.
I'm naming my C. cyaneopubescens Pennywise. :worship:

micheldied
02-19-2010, 04:37 AM
i would say...
most slow growing Ts (G rosea...but mine was free so...).
i just cant wait for them to grow...they take forever.
and small Ts i have no desire for as well.

Draiman
02-19-2010, 05:33 AM
i would say...
most slow growing Ts (G rosea...but mine was free so...).
i just cant wait for them to grow...they take forever.
and small Ts i have no desire for as well.
I second that. The bigger and the faster growing, the better. :}

gazzab
02-19-2010, 07:09 AM
T. Blondi are the ugliest IMO, they always seem to look really tatty and their huge size doesn't help. They're like the obese nutty kid from the special class in school :p

Out of my collection, I love all of them, but my least favourite is probably my B. Smithi. He's the only one I feel comfortable handling, but he's also the most nervous, skittish and boring.

My favourite is my Euathlus Pulcherimiklassi... I can see myself getting every Euathlus species I can lay my hands on over the next few years, they're awesome!

Robineng
02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I think my least favorite would have to be T. blondi, I simply can't find any reason for why I would ever want one of those. They get quite big which can be impressive, but that just means they require a lot of space.

Mack&Cass
02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm going to go with Holothele sp. Norte de Santander. We have three and they're all lame. They don't eat very ravenously, one escaped, they just haven't impressed me. I'm also not a big fan of the Lasiodora parahybana, but we just bought another one yesterday, so I guess I'm starting to warm up to them.

Cass

Tcollector
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I would have to go with H. longipes for me. As for the G. rosea I really like them as adults but dont care much for them when waiting for them to grow up:)

cyanocean
02-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow I noticed some of you dissing on the dwarf species. I do like dwarfs and it's reassuring that most of my guests don't mind them also. They see my 3 inch Pink Zebra Beauty and say "Omg, it's huuuge", when it's not even full grown. :rolleyes: But with the babies and tiger rumps they're ok and even interested in looking at them. The only thing I don't like about small species is that they live in small enclosures and you can't jazz up a small deli cup or vial with decorations.

Personally, I like colourful T's (regardless of whether they are dwarfs, medium, or large size) or ones with interesting patterns. Plain brown ones such as T. blondi, B. albopilosum, G. rosea, and L.P.'s aren't my style.

Mvskokee
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm going to go with Holothele sp. Norte de Santander. We have three and they're all lame. They don't eat very ravenously, one escaped, they just haven't impressed me. I'm also not a big fan of the Lasiodora parahybana, but we just bought another one yesterday, so I guess I'm starting to warm up to them.

Cass

I second that on the Lp.

robc
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Pinning it down to one species would be impossible, but I'd say the group I have the least interest in are the old world obligate burrowers such as the Haplopelma.That would be me to, I have owned 4-5 KB and sold them in a short time because it was a waste of space to me....not saying they are not awesome T's, but i rather have something I can see!

tenmei
02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
That would be me to, I have owned 4-5 KB and sold them in a short time because it was a waste of space to me....not saying they are not awesome T's, but i rather have something I can see!

im with you guys! :) i would rather keep a T that's defensive, skittish. atleast i can see them. :D love to see my guys molting. :)

dopamine
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
I have to say that Rosehairs are probably the least appealing to me....alot of the NA T's don't do anything for me either. I just don't like brown spiders I guess lol.

What are NA Ts?

Xian
02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
North America:)

Roski
02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Is Aphonopelma the only genus of NA tarantula?

BrettG
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Well,there are Brachy's in Fl,and I have read about some being found in Utah as well....But Brachys are far and few between.

Mack&Cass
02-19-2010, 01:49 PM

I would consider Mexico part of North America too so there are other genera including Brachypelma
Mackenzie

dopamine
02-19-2010, 01:50 PM
North America:)

appreciate it

Xian
02-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I would consider Mexico part of North America too so there are other genera including Brachypelma
Mackenzie

Correct, Mexico is part of North America.....:)

BrettG
02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Correct, Mexico is part of North America.....:)

Yep,sorry,I spaced that one. For some reason I was thinking the States...Did not eat my Wheaties today...

Roski
02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Well,there are Brachy's in Fl,and I have read about some being found in Utah as well....But Brachys are far and few between.

I've read that Brachypelma vagans are established in FL, but I didn't know about Utah.

I guess I should have been more specific in my question- are Aphonopelmas the only tarantulas that are native to North America?

Edit: Ah, I'm even further from the trolley. Mexico opens up a whole other room to the parameters of my question :o. Thanks for the answers. :)

Keeping on topic, I'd have to admit that I am the least interested in investing in Aphonopelma spp. Was this thread opened for market research?

BrettG
02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I've read that Brachypelma vagans are established in FL, but I didn't know about Utah.

I guess I should have been more specific in my question- are Aphonopelmas the only tarantulas that are native to North America?

Edit: Ah, I'm even further from the trolley. Mexico opens up a whole other room to the parameters of my question :o. Thanks for the answers. :)

Keeping on topic, I'd have to admit that I am the least interested in investing in Aphonopelma spp. Was this thread opened for market research?

I have heard of B.smithi being found in utah(shrugs)

BrettG
02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
To stay with the topic,I vote T.blondi. To me it is just ugly. The only thing going for it is size,and IMHO,size is over rated....Its just a "ohhhh,I have the biggest t" kinda thing.

BCscorp
02-19-2010, 02:07 PM

check this out
http://www.bcmag.ca/readonline/article/?id=2867

Tcollector
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
im with you guys! :) i would rather keep a T that's defensive, skittish. atleast i can see them. :D love to see my guys molting. :)

Some T's that are defensive and skittish are allmost allways hidden. Example: H. lividum

Roski
02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
To stay with the topic,I vote T.blondi. To me it is just ugly. The only thing going for it is size,and IMHO,size is over rated....Its just a "ohhhh,I have the biggest t" kinda thing.

More of them to love :rolleyes:. I personally find their size impressive, and their behavior that much more fascinating to observe (like holding a magnifying glass to a smaller T... or maybe I should do just that).

check this out
http://www.bcmag.ca/readonline/article/?id=2867

Blistering beavertails! Funnel webs in Canada! BC never ceases to amaze me, though at first I tripped over the term "tarantuloid." Thanks for the link. :)

Fran
02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Mackenzie

Thats becausem in fact Mexico IS in North America ;)

Edit: I was late and didnt see it.

MexicanRedKnee
02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Thats becausem in fact Mexico IS in North America ;)

Edit: I was late and didnt see it.
I think Mexico is both in North America and Central America. I've read a few field guides on various North American animals and they tend to limit North America to Mexico up to where it turns into jungle and you start seeing rain forests. Then again, all of Mexico is still on the North American plate and not the Caribbean plate.

My least favorite T's I think are pet holes... Any large T's that like to hair.

Fran
02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Geographically speaking, north america entitles Mexico, USA and Canada. :)

Xian
02-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Geographically speaking, as a continent, North America also includes Greenland, Central America, and most of the islands in the Caribbean.:)

Geographically speaking, north america entitles Mexico, USA and Canada. :)
I'm with you Fran, that's what I think of when I refer to North America.

As for my least desireable species??? Any that are dead.:)

jebbewocky
02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
From my understanding, Central America is geographically considered a part of North America, and culturally a part of South America. I have no idea how it is considered geologically speaking.

I haven't really kept enough T's to be disinterested in any yet. I am interested in some obligate burrowers, specifically the Ephebopus genus, because I want to see T's do stuff to make their enclosure more a home. I'm finding I'm somewhat disinterested in generic black/brown terrestrial species. Most Bracy species don't appeal to me for whatever reason, but I love my B.vagans slings.

Fran
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Geographically speaking, as a continent, North America also includes Greenland, Central America, and most of the islands in the Caribbean.:)

I'm with you Fran, that's what I think of when I refer to North America.

As for my least desireable species??? Any that are dead.:)

the thing is there has been a lot of confiusion to the term continent and subcontinent with America. :)
North America is what now is called "subcontinent" of the main continent "America". It has 3 countries, USA, Canada and Mexico and it has insular dependencis which are Greenland, Bermudas and Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

Lots of confusion with this, since lately they "consider" North america and south america as 2 diff continents...which it wasnt some time ago.

micheldied
02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
That would be me to, I have owned 4-5 KB and sold them in a short time because it was a waste of space to me....not saying they are not awesome T's, but i rather have something I can see!

i gotta agree with that as well,i dont see my H lividum at all...:wall:
but shes been with me the longest so...

ZergFront
02-20-2010, 12:34 AM

B.vagans was an introduced species in FL..

EDIT : Nevermind, already mentioned. I'm such a slow reader...

Merfolk
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Is Aphonopelma the only genus native to the USA?

I am not fond of them. I tried many species, and the ones that I like the least are :

The whole sub family Ischnocolinae
Chylobracis other than fimbriatus
Aphonopelmas
Most pet holes

ElfDa
06-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Cobalt Blue: no matter how pretty, I just don't like dealing with buttheads I can't slap.

and i'd never go with Old Worlders.
again with the buttheads and the slapping.

personally, I like G. Roseas. My first introduction to the hobby was a G. rosea named Harriet, that I babysat for a friend.
She opened a whole new world to me by teaching me that 8-legged monsters don't have to be scary. :o

Formerphobe
06-04-2011, 05:14 AM
I think most tarantulas are amazing in their own way. I am partial to terrestrials and fossorials, mostly NW, but I have some OW, too. I have no desire at this time to keep any of the arboreals. (As soon as I say, "I will never have...", I will end up with a houseful. So, I never say never...) As far as unappealing to look at, I find the Theraphosa sp decidedly unattractive. They are very cute babies, but then they grow up...

Hentzi
06-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Well its all Brachypelma sp's for me, except the Albiceps and Schroederi.

Favorite Aphonopelmas of coarse

Aschamne
06-04-2011, 08:00 AM
I know I'm probably an oddball with this one, but tarantulas from the genus Theraphosa just don't appeal to me.

Art

Mojo Jojo
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Well its all Brachypelma sp's for me, except the Albiceps and Schroederi.

Favorite Aphonopelmas of coarse

I've always considered Aphonopelma to be the uncivilized cousins of Brachypelma so I found it odd that you hate the brachys and love the aphonos. But, since its been a while since I've sat down and really looked at the genus, I thought it was time and so I did. I've also now added Aphonopelma anax to my wish list. Aphonopelma texense is kinda neat too.

synyster
06-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Favorite: Theraphosa's and Poecilotheria's

Least appreciated: Aphonopelma's

MrEMojo
06-04-2011, 12:58 PM
As far as G. rosea goes it isn't the homely appearance or the availability that puts me off. I don't enjoy how unpredictable they can be even by tarantula standards.

With that said I would have to say Haplopelma sp. first and foremost(no OBT compares to the tude on my lividum:) ).

Theraphosa I have always been on the fence about. They're awsome Ts until I factor in the urticating hairs(A. genic is irritating enough on me) and the molt complications common in mature specimens. Hopefully one day soon we'll sort out our husbandry and this problem will be a thing to remember...

Peace

web eviction
06-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I absolutely love all T's I would happily purchase any T at a good price they are all just so fascinating to me there for I don't really have a most or least favorite, although I think T's have became my gateway drug Lmao I'm really taking interest in pedestrians and scorps as of late.....

cyanocean
06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I find Lasiodora, especially parahybanas, to be boring and generic looking.

A lot of the old worlders are less than desirable to me also because they tend to burrow.

Lawnmower599
06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
I love my g.roses she is not overly active but she is just so cuddly but I hate p.lugardi I think it is and I also hate h.minax horrible tarantulas don't like colours its not cause they old world I love most old worlds its just the colours rather have a million g.roses than one of those guys even if it was a pet rock

astraldisaster
06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd probably have to say most Aphonopelma species. There are far more appealing NW terrestrials within the Brachypelma and Grammostola genera. The blue A. seemani is pretty gorgeous, but most others I find unremarkable.

I'm also not a fan of pet holes, so for me to keep an obligate burrower it has to be ridiculously cool (i.e. one of the horned baboons, E. cyanognathus, etc.) Most Haplopelma other than H. lividum don't quite cut it for me.

That being said, I like ALL tarantulas to some degree. :)

FrostyCakee
06-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I cant think of one tarantula that i dont want {D
but if i had to choose it wouldnt be so much a specific T. I Would say that im not to crazy about Poecilotheria genus.
I still want a P. Regalis and a P. Formosa but im not dying to get my hands on one :D

06-04-2011, 10:46 PM
There's not a tarantula I wouldn't buy, but if someone point a gun at my head an demand I give up having an specific spider, I would say any brown one. Don't have a thing for dwarf either, but I'd buy any colorful t.

Rabid538
06-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't like G. rosea and most other new world tarantulas.

Imbrium
06-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Any Theraphosa, due to the molt problems. They are such cool T's, I would be so sad to have a big one go through that.

Raven9464
06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
T. blondi
For some weird reason, blond T's just look sinister to me?:confused:

Drakk
06-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Pet holes of all kinda kinda put me off...i like to see the T some of the major web makers too.
Do like my avics tho....oddly enough.

synyster
06-05-2011, 02:13 PM
T. blondi
For some weird reason, blond T's just look sinister to me?:confused:

Haha T.blondi is my fav! I'm glad they look synyster ;P

Vespula
06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I really love the Rosies.... Hm.

I don't think I'd want anything too vicious. I do love my OBT though. :D

TrentinG
06-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I dont find G roseas or most Aphonopelmas to be very interesting. However, my A. Hentzi has tried to bite me more than any other of my T's so it makes up for his lack of color ;P

KoriTamashii
06-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Any Theraphosa, due to the molt problems. They are such cool T's, I would be so sad to have a big one go through that.

Agreeing with this one. - I'd just be totally devastated. >_<

Embers To Ashes
06-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I cant see me owning any burrowers in the near future. I like to be able to look into the tank and make sure my spider hasnt escaped.

Im also not a big fan of brown Ts. The only reason I can ever see me owning one is if it is docile or a once in a lifetime deal for some rare T.

BlackVenom
06-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Same here.

Lolita
06-06-2011, 01:57 AM
For me i think Theraphosa genus is one i wouldn't own for several reasons the main being as someone said earlier the molt issues i hate watching my T's molt cause i'm paranoid they'll get stuck and die or something so something that would be prone to it would be ever more scary. Plus i've heard they have some of the worst U hairs and i had to get rid of my kickiest LP because it's U hairs gave me hives and it haired me constantly. Borrowers are another i'm not into it would annoy me i think

Unravel
06-06-2011, 02:52 AM
im surprised at all the responses saying they dont want their blondis/stirmis.. i love em! molt issues aside having something so (generally) evil and humongous is really cool. I almost like mine more than my p metallica :/

anyway, least favorite has gotta be the curly hair for me..

AprilH
06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I have to go with Theraphosa sp. They look really rough, I don't find them nice to look at, and I have issues with hairs of other species already. I actually don't mind my pet holes that much because it's really fun when they do come out to grab prey. :) I usually just go in the pet room with a flashlight to catch the Haplopelmas or L. violaceopes out of hiding.

jt39565
06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I have two that are tied with being most unappealing - Aphoneplema & Aviculara - I know people are gonna jump on me about it, but they just don't do it for me, sorry.

Scorpendra
06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
S. calceatum. It always looks like an MM pokie regardless of size or sex.

LadyofSorrows
06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
As some of the other ppl have said, it's T. blondi for me. The only cool thing about them is their huge size, but they really can't compete with L. parahybana, which reach huge sizes and make better pets.

But this is just my opinion, I hope not to offend anyone. :)

P.S. I love both Brachypelma and Aphonopelma!

Obelisk
06-16-2011, 10:16 AM
For me, it's the pet holes. I like to be able to see my T's.

JC
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
You guys not keeping Haplopelma because you cant see them often should try lowering the ventilation in your enclosures. I see my Haplopelma everyday when the lights are down.

Also keep them in a low traffic zone.

Same thing goes for some of the other burrowers.

As for which species I don't like keeping, right now I like them all.(If I haven't posted here already). :}

GartenSpinnen
06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I just don't like the same species that I once did. Anything Haplopelma sp. goes on my 'don't want' list. I just get so sick of pet holes. I have had so many situations over the years of me trying to dig out a pet hole because I was unsure if it was still alive, only to find an angry T ready to eat my face off.

But I do miss that beautiful blue in H. lividum. It was so intense at times when they would come out and you get them in the right light, that used to just amaze me how something so dull could turn so vibrant in the right light. They truly look electric if you get em right :)

Then again I guess WC T's make my list as well. I've learned to ask more questions about what I am buying, and generally am much more picky about who I purchase from compared to what I once was. If it is WC I am gonna pass every time now. I am not too impatient to buy a sling and grow them out. I am far from having any kind of admirable qualities, but I have some mad patience when it comes to the right genus, especially those Brachypelma sp. :drool:

I am STILL sitting on my B. smithi and B. emilia slings I bought years back. I was going to sell them but after you sit on them for awhile its hard to get rid of them. All that time! All those crickets! I cannot possibly get rid of my Brachypelma... ;-)

Okay...starting to ramble...

I part with a couple picks of Lucifer my H. lividum female I used to have.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg259/shammer4life/Lucifer.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg259/shammer4life/Picture042.jpg

stonemantis
06-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Alot of the so called "Brown Spiders" may not be appealing to the eyes but, the majority of the tarantula species are in fact "Brown Spiders".

Aphonopelma hentzi has to be one on my "least desirable" list due to them being so common but, I have owned several.

I never would not own any tarantula but, that's how I feel on the matter and just my opinion.

Thehat222
08-11-2011, 03:50 AM
I dont think there is a T that I don't like. I mean, my first 3 tarantulas are like the two most hated species talked about on here, Rosies and OBT's!
I like them all, with the exception of the dwarfs though c. elegans are kinda cute with their little heart butts but I like T's because they're big fuzzy spiders so I don't really see the point in getting a T that is small and not very fuzzy.
All my avics die.
But I'm gunna keep trying...
damn humidity levels...and wet molts... So...I dislike Avics and dwarfs I guess but I'm not going to keep them out of my collection or anything.

T Enthusiast
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm going to get a lot of dirty looks, but I would have to say any of the Poecilotheria genus sans P. metallica.

Don't get me wrong, I think they look gorgeous. But I'm too scared of their speed and their venom to want to own one. I have a lot of respect for those who do, just not my cup of tea.

That being said, bring on the Theraphosids. I can deal with the hair. I'm a type-1 diabetic, and the last thing my immune system needs is a bad reaction to venom.

Birdman10682
08-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Anything that has special high humidity requirements.......pretty much covers a lot of OW and NW tropical species.

uninterested
08-12-2011, 03:12 AM
My Gorgyrella sp. was pretty cool for the first 2 days I had it... then it created its burrow and instead of having a pet hole, I don't even have that... I have a pet hole with a trapdoor covering it up :P

wesker12
08-12-2011, 04:08 AM
I'm going to get a lot of dirty looks, but I would have to say any of the Poecilotheria genus sans P. metallica.

Don't get me wrong, I think they look gorgeous. But I'm too scared of their speed and their venom to want to own one. I have a lot of respect for those who do, just not my cup of tea.

That being said, bring on the Theraphosids. I can deal with the hair. I'm a type-1 diabetic, and the last thing my immune system needs is a bad reaction to venom.

I don't believe tarantula venom contains the proper peptides to have an allergic reaction to it. Your body may react differently to venom but it will not be allergic.

Smaughunter
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Interesting topic. I would be willing to care for any species, if the individual had dire need of it. If someone came to my door with a T and asked that I please take this spider..I would take it, no matter what it was. However some species I would not seek to acquire.

Thereposa spp. Because of their delicate health and severe urticating bristles. These tarantulas do have a certain beauty to them but I do not find them so beautiful that the benefits of caring for them outweigh the negatives.

King Baboons: I just don't find them very attractive to my eye, and if I was to care for a T I wouldn't see to often I would want it to be spectacular when I did see it.

rcarr
08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I have to say T. blondi. I can see what other people like about them, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I think it's the U hairs that's keeping me away. U hairs and all the molt problems I've read about.

My P. regalis isn't holding my interest like my Brachys and Africans. I may try a different pookie later, but I don't think I'll be getting another regalis once I part with mine.
Amen, the hairs on my t. Blondi felt like a hundred fireants stinging!

pnshmntMMA
08-22-2011, 10:03 AM
s calceatum...i heard theyre so nasty, one was indicted with OJ back in the 90's but also released on a technicality

cbsuen
08-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Hear! Hear! the G rosea...and whatever the hell the native ones are that live around here(Arizona). They all look alike, and none, wild or otherwise have ever bit me so ive always been a big fan. I think Iappreciate them because when people see them get picked up and how docile they are they don't get squeamish, jittery, edgy or whatever...about the fact that you have more one and you dont know where the rest are

catfishrod69
08-28-2011, 02:17 PM
S. calceatum is a gorgeous and amazing tarantula...especially the MM, they have very feathered legs...i would have to say my least desirable would be N. chromatus, for some reason just dont care much for them...but after recieving so many as freebies, and giving them away, and eventually winding up with more, i have decided to go ahead and keep 1 of the slings....