Problem with B. doscoidales

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Problem with B. discoidales

OK ..

I do have some babies.. but I think they were from a female that was shipped.. I haven't had mine here long enough to see young that I can be certain were produced on site.

what I did find were "abandoned" ootheca
two were intact.. and one was broken into and seemed to be eaten..

DOES anyone know what might cause this??

not enough Heat?
not enough food?

I have a small heating pad under the enclosure which is resting on an inverted glass fish tank.

I added another heating pad.. since I keep them in my basement.
humidty is higher. and light is always lower... but so is temp..

ANY ADVICE please. :)

thanks..

Last edited:

nomad85

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had the same problem, I think I was looking at them too much and stressed them out, I havent had any aborted ootheca for a few months and I am actually getting babies now, just feed/water them and leave them alone keep it warm and they should do fine. Also try giving them some fruit (apples, oranges) that seems to make my roaches breed better.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Discoids

Just make sure they have some heat, water source, apples work real good for discoids and leave them alone and you will get babies.
James
www.blaberus.com

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Key here is to leave them be. Feed, water,keep them warm and leave them be. I know I had the problem of constantly looking in on them and I wasn't getting any babies. Now my care is as described above. I leave them alone toss in food every couple of days and they doing great. Have a ton of babies I'm growing out right now.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Also keep them dark with enough hiding/climbing spaces. I noticed whenever they molt or do the ootheca suck back thing they tend to stay away from the gang.