Unhappy Locust.

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This locust got eaten a few hours ago, and doesn't look too happy about it.
Look at the brown stuff ooze out of its mouth :D
The B.vagans in these pictures is well over 7.5 inches.

Last edited:

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep doesnt look like the best day its ever had {D

That is a nice size vagans man, congrats :D

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what is that stuff?,, some kinda predatory diterent? I have seen them do that just when you grab them :?

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That brown stuff is indeed something a locust spit out when caught or in danger.
Try to pick up a locust and gently squeeze on it... u will see the brown stuff.
For lots of T's that may be the reason they don't like locusts. I got lot's of T's that never eat locusts.
That brown stuff gives very bad taste and is probably a way to "defend".
(dunno if a T can "taste" though, but it could give another kind of reaction they don't like)

Last edited:

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
funny most of my herps and inverts wont touch locusts, i seldom use them because nothing will eat the dam things, they ate them ate first then after a few they just refused them everytime

I guess this and the spiked legs could have something to do with it :rolleyes:

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear your having problems with locust mimic. I'm having great success with them.
Usually I remove the back legs, but in the case of the vagans above, she doesn't seem to mind.

Thanks for the compliments Nightbreed, she is nearly 12 years old, hence the size. ;)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I didn't think it was possible for B. vagans to reach that size, regardless of age.

7.5 inches? Do you have any ruler pics?

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my Ts prefer locusts to crix.
Dr Pies, do Ts like 1000 island & taramasalata as well, or just cream cheese & chive dip? {D

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rgfx said:
my Ts prefer locusts to crix.
Dr Pies, do Ts like 1000 island & taramasalata as well, or just cream cheese & chive dip? {D
lol, sometimes even hot salsa, rgfx ;)

becca81 said:
I didn't think it was possible for B. vagans to reach that size, regardless of age.

7.5 inches? Do you have any ruler pics?
Your right, normally they reach 6.5, but this girl has grown unusually large. I'll try and get the ruler pics posted tonight.

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This picture shows the vagans next to a 6 inch ruler. The ruler is approx 4-5 inches above the spider, so you'll have to visualize the ruler next to her. I couldn't get her legs to extend so she looks smaller than she actually is..
This is the best I could get, but trust me she is over 7 inches ;)

Last edited:

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SeekneSs said:
That brown stuff is indeed something a locust spit out when caught or in danger.
Try to pick up a locust and gently squeeze on it... u will see the brown stuff.
For lots of T's that may be the reason they don't like locusts. I got lot's of T's that never eat locusts.
That brown stuff gives very bad taste and is probably a way to "defend".
(dunno if a T can "taste" though, but it could give another kind of reaction they don't like)
I'm allergic as hell to that stuff, very weird, no other allergies but a bit of that stuff and I begin weezing and itching... crickets and roaches for me ;)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dr Pies said:
This picture shows the vagans next to a 6 inch ruler. The ruler is approx 4-5 inches above the spider, so you'll have to visualize the ruler next to her. I couldn't get her legs to extend so she looks smaller than she actually is..
This is the best I could get, but trust me she is over 7 inches ;)
I'm not trying to be difficult, but a 7"+ B. vagans would be a record for that species. It'd be great to see that you are correct and I'd learn something, but this is one of those "I don't believe it until I see it" kind of things.

Moving a ruler 4-5 inches away from the subject will not account for an extra 3".

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No probs becca, I admit the picture is inadequate to back up the size I suggested.
Without me stressing her out it's tough to get a decent picture of her. She's certainly not a docile spider..
I'll wait for a good oppurtunity and try again ;)