PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision

Pofecks
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
A few years ago I worked for a company that sold/installed surveillance cameras for the local sheriffs depts and a few schools here in Florida. I used this knowledge and applied it to watching my T's. I can login from anywhere with a internet connection and watch my pets as they move about, unaware of any presence. I keep the lights off in my T room and use a surveillance camera that contains 12 infrared illuminators to light up the cage. I was just wondering if I was the only one that was nerdy enough to do this?

edesign
07-24-2005, 04:21 PM
I was just wondering if I was the only one that was nerdy enough to do this?

yup....:D j/k, cool idea if you have access to that kind of stuff.

Pofecks
07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
yup....:D j/k, cool idea if you have access to that kind of stuff.

Its fairly simple tho, got one pc doing the streaming, $90 camera and my internet connection.

Charnoble
07-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Can Tarantulas see infrared? I know many bug-like creatures can see parts of the spectrum that we humans can't. Might it be really bright in his cage?

Me,
Charnoble

Code Monkey
07-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Can Tarantulas see infrared? I know many bug-like creatures can see parts of the spectrum that we humans can't. Might it be really bright in his cage?Doubtful, I can't remember at the moment if anyone has measured spider spectrums specifically, but as a rule of thumb, the red and beyond range of light is invisible to inverts. Where many surpass us is by moving up past the violet range of light.

Pofecks
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
One of the reasons I did this setup was because the blondi seems to be very light sensitive. I do have a red light that I turn on while doing maintenance, but she hears me and hides every time. With the camera in there I don't open the door unless I need something in my closet, or its feeding time. I have a quad for the camera system, that will allow me to switch between my slings and the main cage automatically. This is a fairly simple setup, and I will most likely switch to color cameras in the near future. There is nothing like sitting here at work and watching my T's do their thing undisturbed. :D

Camberwell
07-25-2005, 11:18 AM
I was just wondering if I was the only one that was nerdy enough to do this?

nope your not :)

i do it too, http://www.djsmokey.net

hehe :)

Pofecks
07-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Oh thankiew, now I dun feel so alone! {D